Urban Prep

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
WarPrepper

Urban Prep

Post by WarPrepper »

This is more out of curiosity than anything else.
Is anyone urban prepping - do you plan to utilise the fall in society and having a bag prepped for urban survival?
I personally will head for the nearest wood block and live in the wilderness.
But the cities although a hotspot for violence potentially - also a haven for good and supplies.
Thoughts anyone?
If you can't live by yourself - don't hold me back.
iSkynet

Re: Urban Prep

Post by iSkynet »

Best choice is in the middle. Somewhere away from big cities and not in the woods (for me at least as I won't be alone). City is a death trap and wood won't feed you enough for long.
War. War never changes.
WarPrepper

Post by WarPrepper »

The dreaded suburbs.... They are already scary.
It's a strange thought... Do we revert to a primitative lifestyle knowing it works but it's a hares unforgiving life or cling to the city we know and hope for some return to normality?
If we opted for site would we be prepared to fight for food?
Would we still hold the same morals?
These are all reasons I love the wilderness.. The same kill or be killed mentality but in a way it's more normal when it's in the wild.
iSkynet

Post by iSkynet »

WarPrepper wrote:The dreaded suburbs.... They are already scary.
It's a strange thought... Do we revert to a primitative lifestyle knowing it works but it's a hares unforgiving life or cling to the city we know and hope for some return to normality?
If we opted for site would we be prepared to fight for food?
Would we still hold the same morals?
These are all reasons I love the wilderness.. The same kill or be killed mentality but in a way it's more normal when it's in the wild.
Going in to wilderness is good somewhere in Russia with thousands of miles of wild forest. I don't see how it is possible to live off the woods in UK without meeting and dealing with crowds in national parks.
War. War never changes.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

depends on the actual event and the "die off", once the deliveries stop the rioting will start. once the food runs out the dying starts.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

I suppose I've already made that decision, I moved myself and my family away from a “Urban” environment years ago. I'd want to live not just survive, so leaving our home with it's off grid power and well stocked store cupboard would be a very last resort
Reality is my wife are both in our fifties, fit enough but the though of attempting to survive in a highland woodland situation scares the hell out of me.
Our nearest city as such is Inverness, between us and Inverness and two small towns, I'm hoping in a desperate situation evacuee’s would be absorbed by them so few would reach as far as us, I hope!

But attempting to live truly wild off the land, as it where up here in the highlands, that would be hard and speaking personally I'd head for the coast line rather than woods, shell fish and sea weed are always available, drift wood for burning, cold and wet but you'd survive with luck
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

trouble is heading for the coast would be everyone else's idea too. the coast is where most of our "settlements" started and grew from there into villages and towns.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

WarPrepper wrote:This is more out of curiosity than anything else.
Is anyone urban prepping - do you plan to utilise the fall in society and having a bag prepped for urban survival?
I personally will head for the nearest wood block and live in the wilderness.
But the cities although a hotspot for violence potentially - also a haven for good and supplies.
Thoughts anyone?

No point in running to the woods unless you have the knowledge to survive that enviroment, I'm not talking about camping a bushcraft weekend or couple of days wild camping either. Personally I cannot forsee a fall of society or TOTAL collapse (which would possibly warrant such action) without a massive die off, doing so because there's been a hicup in "normality" is seriously idiotic and potentialy disastrous in my honest opinion.

Urban survival is our initial response to a good many realistic scenarios including a short term collapse of normality. It's always good to have a plan but play to your strengths if your not used to being out in the woods don't go stay put, put your mind into gear and look at what you need and whats around.

If it comes to a point where you're having to go out looting/scavenging (depending on your politics) you don't want to be popping off to the shops with a crowbar in your hand (chances are they'll be stripped early days if things are that bad) look at places like factories, storage depot's and distribution centres.

Opinions vary.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
WarPrepper

Post by WarPrepper »

I fully agree there is a great chance to notice the steady decay in normality however that "steady" decay can happen in as short as a week.
Urban survival and wilderness survival to me are the same.
My skills are best suited to the wilderness however... The kill or be killed mentality I think still applies to urban... Not necessarily in a literal sense but would you offer your last bottle of water to a young mother with a newborn child?
I'm not tripping people up just trying to put a reality spin on it.
I've seen enough of humanity (afghan, Iraq, Kosovo, Bosnia, NI.)
I know the nature of humanity and it's not pretty. To prep you need to prep your mind for what you may have to do.
I was using this as a philosophical look into prepping.

As for heading for the coast. There is a very good reason our first settlements were along the coast. Best places to survive. So long as you have the know how.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

WarPrepper wrote: I know the nature of humanity and it's not pretty. To prep you need to prep your mind for what you may have to do.
yes, a lot of people don't know this and are not prepared for it.