What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Medusa »

My food, water, cleaning product and first aid supplies are coming along nicely, still struggling with storage space though. The wood shed is bursting at the seams with seasoned, chopped wood for the log burners in winter and I still have a huge load of free wood to chop. The truck is stocked with various emergency preps and I just bought one of those emergency beacons and ordered another tonight as hubby was so impressed with it. He has also built a locking box for the back of it for storage after I nagged him a bit. Really pleased with the generator which we got second hand but which works great but need to stock up on a bit of fuel in the jerry cans. I've got a whole wishlist of things going on including some cast iron cookware to use on the log burners in case of a power cut or to cut down on electricity use and a solar panel for phone charging. I also need to look into a food dehydrator, mylar bag food storage, alternative water storage and learn how to do canning. Pleased with how things are going considering I'm pretty new to all this but appreciate there is so much more I need to learn and do. :D
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been taking in a few back roads and seeing how my new car handles. This stability package is a strange thing if you've never had it before tried a few sharp bends a bit quicker than I would and you could feel it cornering like its on rails its even more noticeable on byways on loose surfaces
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Medusa wrote:The wood shed is bursting at the seams with seasoned, chopped wood for the log burners in winter
I have two log storage bags full of nicely seasoned logs for winter, but the way we go through them they won't last long and unfortunately due to a rather large hernia, I cannot swing my trusty axe, and believe me I miss using it for two reasons, I love chopping wood and it helps to keep me trim, I have noticed the belly grow wee bit bigger, not being able to do crunches and leg raises doesn't help either.

Oh well mustn't grumble :lol:
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Zunzuncito

Post by Zunzuncito »

I very excitingly harvested my rhubarb crop and have washed, chopped and bagged it into usable portions into the freezer ready for winter.

I also did some research into the two different types of apple trees in my garden (we've not lived here long and I don't know a great deal about them) so i know now when they should be ready to pick. :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well minor shtf Mrs Andy's car failed mot today :-(

Tin worm and a broken ish sun visor

So last years prep (mig welder) has been earning its keep local garage had begun costing the job when she said "the other half will sort it you know Andy"

With that quote was screwed up and told we had 10 days to get it back for its retest..... Welding is almost done need to seam weld a bit I missed then refit carpet and seats .. Sun visor has been removed Fridays job after work is scrap yard for a new one but will retest with it removed all been well Friday morning

The welder has now fully paid itself off £80 a patch a mate of a mate charges welder cost me £160 plus gas bottle I did 2 patches on the car over the winter and missed this one ::o also sorted mates car out for beer so all is saving / profit now which ever way you look at it
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

learned how to make hummus and have found a really cheap source for my chickpeas.... Yep its B+M again and some of their tinned stuff is ok.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

nickdutch wrote:learned how to make hummus and have found a really cheap source for my chickpeas.... Yep its B+M again and some of their tinned stuff is ok.
Asda world food aisle have 4 tins for a quid of various beans and chickpeas. I've been throwing some in every time we go, not all the Asda's do it though, it probably depends on how popular the world food aisle is.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Deeps wrote:
nickdutch wrote:learned how to make hummus and have found a really cheap source for my chickpeas.... Yep its B+M again and some of their tinned stuff is ok.
Asda world food aisle have 4 tins for a quid of various beans and chickpeas. I've been throwing some in every time we go, not all the Asda's do it though, it probably depends on how popular the world food aisle is.

Dried chickpeas are even cheaper to buy, easier to store and take up less room, not too faffy to soak and prepare either.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Decaff wrote:
Deeps wrote:

Dried chickpeas are even cheaper to buy, easier to store and take up less room, not too faffy to soak and prepare either.
We have both dried and tinned, you're right that the dried ones are cheaper but you get 'instant' chickpeas (and beans) if you want to do something straight away from a tin as opposed to soaking them for a day. We sometimes just fancy a chilli (either quorn mince or bean) so I'll use the tins, if its preplanned I'll soak dried ones.

The other consideration (although not really a serious one) is that the beans need a fair bit of boiling and if you're down to your preps then maybe thirsty on the fuel. Like I say, not something that keeps me up at night. :lol:
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Chickpeas can be soaked and sprouted and then eaten raw, or made into a raw hummus, which is lovely, especially made with peanut butter instead of tahini.