Bartering

How are you preparing
JamesMR

Re: Bartering

Post by JamesMR »

MickyP wrote:Ok, i will rephrase the question.

Would you kill my child so that you could eat her food and survive ?
You are being too vague, is there nothing else remotely edible around and have I not eaten for over a month?

I imagine I would be hallucinating and be working purely on primal instincts, do some research on cases where people have turned to canabalism. Like I said a humans will to live over-comes all social, ethical and personal taboos and morals.

So yeah, I imagine I probably would in the above stated case, as would everyone else in the world.
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

So yeah, I imagine I probably would in the above stated case, as would everyone else in the world
Fair enough, so you are saying that you would take whatever you needed if tshtf, including killing children, if it meant you would survive.

Well, for once i am left pretty speechless :D
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

MickyP wrote:
So yeah, I imagine I probably would in the above stated case, as would everyone else in the world
Fair enough, so you are saying that you would take whatever you needed if tshtf, including killing children, if it meant you would survive.

Well, for once i am left pretty speechless :D
As would you in certain situations. Seriously you have clearly done no research on such matters, when starving to death people will commit awful acts out of primal impulses. Please read up on things before trying to make me out to be some sort of animal :roll:
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

You have no idea of how educated (or not) i am so you shouldn't make assumptions, including the assumption that i would kill children to survive myself

History shows repeatedly that some people will give up their lives to save others, people generally call them heroes - so do some research of your own
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

Ok.
icrcc

Post by icrcc »

I think the idea is that we plan and we prepare. If we have done a half decent job then these kinds of situations will not arise, for preppers at least. Other people who do not plan will be a problem, human kind is more than capable of the most heinous atrocities. Isn't that one reason why we prep, to avoid those situations? Back to the theme of the thread. Bartering will be a necessity at some point. No one can store enough food for the rest of their life. Once bartering begins it will be in some semi organized fashion. Most likely carried out by people who have come together at a safe location with that purpose in mind. If it is a monstrous SHTF situation the "takers" may well make it through the first phase at the expense of others but it is doubtful that they would make it into the third phase.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

MickyP wrote:Your child is at deaths door, would you kill my child to save yours ?
I recall reading (sorry, cannot find the link) that are many cases in various african famines where the mother of a child will steal relief rations right out of the hands of other starving children (usually orphans with no-one to look out for them) so to provide hers with a double, but still meager, helping.

When the survival of ones offspring are at stake, things get darwinian real quick.
Reservior

Post by Reservior »

What a thread!

Despite the 'arguments' I think it's been pretty healthy.

James has been honest with his opinion and despite what someone said earlier, that is useful on a prepping forum. I have some agreement with him on this issue. I don't agree entirely though.

However, I find myself in enough arguments on here and, despite what some members may think, I don't really enjoy them.

So, back to the original question about bartering. Yes it has its risks but in many circumstances these risks will be unavoidable. Without a limitless supply of resources someone is always going to have something you 'need'. Likewise, someone is probably going to have a need for something you have a surplus of. Despite the risks and with a good deal of luck, this can also be a positive thing.

Bartering i just another form of trade and that is something that will largely be inevitable as a society rebuilds.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Reservior wrote:What a thread!

James has been honest with his opinion and despite what someone said earlier, that is useful on a prepping forum. I have some agreement with him on this issue. I don't agree entirely though.

However, I find myself in enough arguments on here and, despite what some members may think, I don't really enjoy them.

So, back to the original question about bartering. Yes it has its risks but in many circumstances these risks will be unavoidable. Without a limitless supply of resources someone is always going to have something you 'need'. Likewise, someone is probably going to have a need for something you have a surplus of. Despite the risks and with a good deal of luck, this can also be a positive thing.

Hear hear Reserior can we now put this to rest and get back the question
Bartering i just another form of trade and that is something that will largely be inevitable as a society rebuilds.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
junmist

Post by junmist »

Reservior wrote:What a thread!

opps don't know what happen there :oops:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle