Bartering

How are you preparing
icrcc

Re: Bartering

Post by icrcc »

I understand perfectly what James is saying. I don't think that is ever anything I would want to do. However the fact is until we are in that kind of dire situation we never know. Our first priority must always be our families. So it is possible that all of us might. One thing that was stated is very true: just about everyone else will. If you don't believe that you are living in a dream world. Now I think a lot will be time dependant. Early on into the situation, whatever it is, when supplies first run out this will most likely be the case. However there is the backlash to consider. Many of those that try to take what they need, unless they are members of a well armed gang, will be wandering around with broken arms and legs. Think about that with no medical facilities and its consequences. As this element of society gets weeded out the situation will likely calm down enough for some bartering (commerce) to exist. The resumption of commerce is inevitable even if it takes a few months. That is why it is prudent to stock at least some supplies that could be used for this purpose. Even the most prepared among us will find holes in their store that need to be filled. Skills will be bartered true but goods will be primarily goods. So if you are in a position to make or build things to barter you will find yourself in the best of a bad situation.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Inflamatory reply removed. :oops:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
TomW

Post by TomW »

I think to say you wont barter is a little silly, while I agree that survival is the ultimate goal, trying to take anything by force increases your risk of not surviving. Force is an option but for me would be the very last. So long as you were to approach every situation with your eyes open and with the means to defend yourself if necessary you would ultimately be no worse off than if you just went straight for force. If I were approached for barter then I would do my best to help you out, even if i couldnt at the time I would be there for you to approach again in the future. If you came and tried to take, if I 'won' then no trade would ever be possible again and I would spread the word of your actions. If you 'won' then no future trade would be possible as either i wouldn't be there or the same as for if I won...
The 'wild west' might not be too far from how the post shtf could look. Sure there will be the criminal element but most will be good law abiding moral people. Trade will happen some how and some will try to take through force. It's how its been for a long time, is now and I feel confident will be.

Additionally, lone wolf might seem like a good idea but there are so many arguments against and virtually none for, google it :)
In the Dark

Post by In the Dark »

People with attitudes of " I'll take what I need" make me disinclined to post any further
I don't want to leak any info to would-be raiders
I sincerely hope you last no further than the first family you raid
To me the whole point of prepping is to avoid the need to go out attacking others, your attitude is shite.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

In the Dark wrote:People with attitudes of " I'll take what I need" make me disinclined to post any further
I don't want to leak any info to would-be raiders
I sincerely hope you last no further than the first family you raid
To me the whole point of prepping is to avoid the need to go out attacking others, your attitude is shite.
Good god will you please go and read back with an open mind.

If your family are starving to death you are going to go and do whatever you have to in order to feed them! - Everyone really needs to take a good hard look at what it means to survive and imagine the things you would have to do.

If you havn't got the will power to commit atrocities then if things get very bleak you won't be lasting too long. Look at nature! - Of course I wouldn't WANT to harm or steal from or bother anyone, who would, but if you need to in order to LIVE then you will, I guarantee it. A humans will to live is stronger than ones morals, when you are literally starving to death you won't care.
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

Ok james, lets take your argument to the extreme case. And bearing in mind we are talking about what we think we would do in a shtf scenario, i used the word "think" deliberately because this is all about what we think we would do, no one knows what we would actually do.

I read this question on another site when a similar topic came up:

Your child is at deaths door, would you kill my child to save yours ?

What if we were in the same group ?

Serious question
Last edited by MickyP on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

MickyP wrote:Ok james, lets take your argument to the extreme case. And we are talking about what we think we would do in a shtf scenario, and i use the word "think" deliberately because this is all what we think we would do, no one knows what we would actually do.

Your child is at deaths door, would you kill my child to save yours ?

What if we were in the same group ?

Serious question
I wouldn't be in a group and I don't have children. That is a very bleak situation and I can't possibly answer that but if there is someone there holding guns to their heads of course I would rather save my own, or would you save some random child over your own flesh and blood :S
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

The question was related to you stating you would take whatever you needed, so in this imaginary scenario would you kill my child to give her food to your own child ?

Would you do it even if we were in a group together ?
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

MickyP wrote:The question was related to you stating you would take whatever you needed, so in this imaginary scenario would you kill my child to give her food to your own child ?

Would you do it even if we were in a group together ?
I don't have children, difficult for me to say, what about you?
MickyP

Post by MickyP »

Ok, i will rephrase the question.

Would you kill my child so that you could eat her food and survive ?