Bartering

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: Bartering

Post by pseudonym »

The Ace of Spades wrote:
Hopefully, Itsy and James have sorted things out now and they're all friendly again. ;)

Ace. :)

I hope so or:

:mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

pseudonym wrote:
The Ace of Spades wrote:
Hopefully, Itsy and James have sorted things out now and they're all friendly again. ;)

I hope so or:

:lol: :lol:
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

Nothing to sort out, it's a discussion forum, we all have our opinions and try to get them accross :D

All is well :)
gregpreston

Post by gregpreston »

i am a good barterer and have been selling or trading items for many years but a friend of a friend who was building his stocks grew skunk weed to dry and intended to use in the place of money when cash and gold ceases to be of value, but due to his sons habit of stealing got caught and this person got raided and put in prison for cultivation of this weed so this commodity wanted by many people at a time of shtf has a value in times of great distress. i myself make biodiesel from waste veg oil and this has a longer shelf life than dino diesel and my discovery runs perfect on it. it costs me about 90p a gallon to produce and i have built up quite a stock ( customs and excise allow 2500 ltrs a year for personal use). this and my skills as an inventor/mechanic/ welder/ builder/entreurpenur/ etc would make me a good trader of skills for trade of many items we would need
The Ace of Spades

Post by The Ace of Spades »

pseudonym wrote:
The Ace of Spades wrote:

I hope so or:

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice 1, Pseudonym. 8-)
JamesMR wrote:Nothing to sort out, it's a discussion forum, we all have our opinions and try to get them accross :D

All is well :)
I know. I'm only pullin' ya leg, Bro. :mrgreen:

Stay safe, Peeps.

The future belongs to those who prepare.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Praemonitus Praemunitus
Glydr

Post by Glydr »

I would just prep as normal, and barter with the variety of items that I collect, food, battries, candles etc.

I think I get were James is coming from though, I don't think he was suggesting that he's going to become some kind of post apocalyptic raider, more that if his choices were reduced to dying or stealing, well it's not really a choice at all is it.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Glydr wrote:I think I get were James is coming from though, I don't think he was suggesting that he's going to become some kind of post apocalyptic raider, more that if his choices were reduced to dying or stealing, well it's not really a choice at all is it.

I beg to differ:
JamesMR wrote: I wouldn't be "bartering" with anyone, if I needed something in a world with no rules and I found someone with that something I needed you bet your life I would be taking it with force if necessary. Yes this isn't very nice but it's survival and it isn't "nice".
This is a statement of intent to forceably take items at every opportunity.

Lovely....... :evil:

What if it was your door James came to? Feel the same way then?

How about offering to work for the person in exchange for the item?

How about bartering for it anyway?

I wouldn't want to know or associate with someone like that in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, let alone now.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Maddie_cat

Post by Maddie_cat »

JamesMR wrote:As far as I know Hull is probably the biggest city in your area and it's not exactly renowned for trouble?
Oh sugar - you ain't been to Hull!!! Having been a student there I can honestly say, on a Friday and Saturday night, it ain't pretty! Too much "town n gown" for starters! Hell, even the Student Law Society was harangued for trashing the Guildhall at one of its bashes; and there is a famous case there where a boyfriend killed his girlfriend: he smacked her and she fell over the bannisters (snapped neck?), he put a rope round her neck and dragged the body upstairs (throttled?), dumped her body in the bath (drowned?), cut her body up (exsanguination?) before dowsing it in acid, pounding up the bones and distributing them around the town. No evidence of her body was ever found so they couldn't decide how she died!! :shock: :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily stock stuff simply to barter for, for as someone said earlier on, we do not know what sort of situation we are getting ourselves into. I will just make sure that I have a lot of stock and if - depending on the situation - there is surplus, then I would barter.

I do take the other points though that have been raised on here. WHilst I can see the argument that you should "take what you need", that is probably a short term argument. IB is probably right: there is someone else out there who is big enough to squish you!!!! I would take the biblical line: do unto others etc. At the same time, if you start going around bashing people to get what you want (a) people will start seeing that you have more than them so will retaliate and (b) compromising OPSEC as a result.

Just my view.
I'm in Area 1
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Isn't it also a question of what you can make at a lower cost than the value of the thing that you have made? As I don't drink I am quite happy to make alcohol and swap a bottle for something of higher value than the ingredients that went into the bottle.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

pseudonym wrote:
Glydr wrote:I think I get were James is coming from though, I don't think he was suggesting that he's going to become some kind of post apocalyptic raider, more that if his choices were reduced to dying or stealing, well it's not really a choice at all is it.
JamesMR wrote: I wouldn't be "bartering" with anyone, if I needed something in a world with no rules and I found someone with that something I needed you bet your life I would be taking it with force if necessary. Yes this isn't very nice but it's survival and it isn't "nice".
This is a statement of intent to forceably take items at every opportunity.

Lovely....... :evil:

What if it was your door James came to? Feel the same way then?

How about offering to work for the person in exchange for the item?

How about bartering for it anyway?

I wouldn't want to know or associate with someone like that in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, let alone now.
Re-read it my friend, I said "IF I NEEDED SOMETHING" - Not "I will take anything and everything at every opportunity" - You're twisting my words. Look back at years gone by, you had to be ruthless and not have morals or anything in order to survive, just because we are civilised now doesn't mean if everything goes wrong people will still behave themselves as it will be complete carnage and I will do everything I need to in order to survive. You're living in a dream world if you think people are going to be all happy and smiley helping others out, and those that do try and "barter" will inevitably end up doing so with the wrong people who will just take your goods and probably your life. It will be a complete and utter dog eat dog world.

It's Ok though since I wouldn't want to associate with anyone other than family in a situation :)