UK economy.

For all things financial
Frnc

Re: UK economy.

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:33 pm If you hear a strange noise, it's me sawing off Scotland along the border. >>>>>>>>>>>>> out of here!
Take the North with you! Winter is coming!
Reminds me, I got 6 months now TV half price the other day. And 3 months boost for £6 so the lodgers can watch it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The political side,Bank of England,and Financial’experts’ even the IMF are of no interest to me. Apart from their comments that we * may* have problems, in a round about way.No amount of moaning about it will do anything at my level. I don’t waste energy like that.So…

Today ,I drew a good lump of savings from my building society. They make nothing anyway. Some will be kept handy for emergencies ( or when it looks - or may look- like the economy will crash) ,and a good lump to pick up tinned and dry food, and cleaning,pet food,etc.The inflation rate WILL increase,no doubt. More importantly,stored food may well be a blessing if we ,as a country,cannot import any more. It looks like petrol and diesel will increase ,which will certainly increase prices of everything. If the pound is worth next to nothing,it may be a case that countries won’t sell stuff to us!

Even here on UK Preppers,we have Normalcy Bias which means that many believe that “it’ll be alright in the near future” ,” We’ve been in trouble before,everything will be ok in the end”. What if it isn’t that way?

Like Argentina in 2001, our own economy and society may well be a mess. Yes,there will still be some work/ money ( in a fashion) / some wealthy folks - but many poor and socially smashed ones too. A lot of pain and misery perhaps? How will you deal with economic collapse?

Our country ain’t what it was between 1953 and 1973.They were the very best years we ever had,and will ever have - but our financial wide boys and politicians base our ‘economy’ on those former good days , convincing many Brits that “ We’ll be ok in the end”.

So what will you do,if it goes bad?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:06 pm The political side,Bank of England,and Financial’experts’ even the IMF are of no interest to me. Apart from their comments that we * may* have problems, in a round about way.No amount of moaning about it will do anything at my level. I don’t waste energy like that.So…

Today ,I drew a good lump of savings from my building society. They make nothing anyway. Some will be kept handy for emergencies ( or when it looks - or may look- like the economy will crash) ,and a good lump to pick up tinned and dry food, and cleaning,pet food,etc.The inflation rate WILL increase,no doubt. More importantly,stored food may well be a blessing if we ,as a country,cannot import any more. It looks like petrol and diesel will increase ,which will certainly increase prices of everything. If the pound is worth next to nothing,it may be a case that countries won’t sell stuff to us!

Even here on UK Preppers,we have Normalcy Bias which means that many believe that “it’ll be alright in the near future” ,” We’ve been in trouble before,everything will be ok in the end”. What if it isn’t that way?

Like Argentina in 2001, our own economy and society may well be a mess. Yes,there will still be some work/ money ( in a fashion) / some wealthy folks - but many poor and socially smashed ones too. A lot of pain and misery perhaps? How will you deal with economic collapse?

Our country ain’t what it was between 1953 and 1973.They were the very best years we ever had,and will ever have - but our financial wide boys and politicians base our ‘economy’ on those former good days , convincing many Brits that “ We’ll be ok in the end”.

So what will you do,if it goes bad?
Your right we can not change what the fools at the top do but one day they are going to push to far and you never know the country and the people may rise up and bite them on the backside , but like you until then we will stock up on everything we think that will be needed if the country crashes , tomorrow we are on another food run as we only go out if we have something else to do i got the dentist so food run after then home in the garage lock the doors and unload .
It is funny aboutthe wide boys in banking i went to school with Nick Leeson and if the bankign world had bothered to look up his school history hmmm they would have seen what he was , someone that gambled on anything , he was the one running the penny up the wall scam at school and other gambles ,the guy was not trustworthy back then and less so now but fun since he crashed the bank and did all that he has been coining in money from people saying teach us how not to do it lol
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:33 pm If you hear a strange noise, it's me sawing off Scotland along the border. >>>>>>>>>>>>> out of here!
Pass the saw over, I will lend a haund.

Can we tow her down to say the Canaries?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Kiwififer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:26 pm
Can we tow her down to say the Canaries?
[/quote]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good thinking! Let's do it!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman I just don't know. What to do I mean - apart from just endure and get on with it, knowing that nothing lasts forever. Good times or bad ones.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Looked at my gas use for the last year. Made some notes, did some calculations.

In the summer I'm using about 300 kWh gas per month, ie about 10 kWh per day. This is for 3 people, showers and washing up.

[Electricity use hardly changes throughout the year and we rarely use the oven now. It's gas heating I'm concerned with. I want to keep an eye on it over the winter.]

Oct '21 510 kWh
Nov 1280
Dec 1912
Jan 2007
Feb 1667
Mar 1377
Apr 879
May 421

So next month my target is < 510, 15.45 per day, about 50% more than in the summer

Looking at daily use for last October, about 8 days were 8-11, ie no heating on
About 13 days were 12-17, ie heating probaby came on for a short while
About 8 days were 18- 26 , heating on for a while longer.

Hourly data is only available from 29 Oct (I'd not had the smart meter long). On the 31st I used 21.5, a slightly above average day for that month, but it was the end of the month when it's getting colder. There's a big spike at 8am and one at 8pm, so I reckon the heating went on for an hour maximum, twice. These two spikes are 6-7 times bigger than the smaller spikes which will be washing up and showers. Small spikes are about 1 KWh , big ones are 6-7.

My gas is about £7 a month standing charge, plus 4p per KWh (NB my rate is fixed, below SV). So I know a shower or washing up costs about 5 p, and heating on for an hour MAXIMUM is about 25-30p. I'll have to check this, as the heating might have only been on half an hour for each of those spikes.

I used to have loop and I remember then, the first hour of heating on used about double the KW per hour as subsequent hours.

It will be a bit different this year as I now have a thermostat for the whole heating system. I turned the rad up in that room even though it's not used much. My rationale is that this means it will trigger the heating to go off quicker (I might change that).

Stat is set to 18° 6am to 8am
18° 6pm to 10.30 pm
17 in between during day
13 at night.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

"Energy providers have urged customers to take meter readings before costs rise on Saturday, warning that they could be overcharged if they fail to do so."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 77610.html
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:17 am "Energy providers have urged customers to take meter readings before costs rise on Saturday, warning that they could be overcharged if they fail to do so."
Thought this deserved it's own thread....
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:04 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:17 am "Energy providers have urged customers to take meter readings before costs rise on Saturday, warning that they could be overcharged if they fail to do so."
Thought this deserved it's own thread....
ok, cool.