Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
featherstick

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by featherstick »

Enjoying this discussion.

Agree with all the points made re: maglites. Less contentious, more functional, and easier to manage in a confined space.

Window security can be improved by putting windowboxes on the outside windowsills - burglars hate them.

Must move the ladder that we keep outside, never even thought that was a liability - thanks!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

One other point re: display weapons, other obvious pointy objects visible - coppers now have to make a risk assessment before entering a property if they see a sword or similar on the wall. This could slow down their entry to the property.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Window boxes are a good idea. Thanks for that.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Arzosah wrote:
Plymtom wrote:
Arzosah wrote: Re: Home Security Upgrades
by Arzosah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am
Don't know if its quite home security, but I also keep a little bottle of spray deoderant in my EDC (a.k.a. handbag). Could keep one in the bedroom too, and the downstairs bathroom ... one likes to be smelling of nice things
Are you kidding....never watched Roger Moore in Live and Let Die? :lol:
Er ... no :mrgreen: not on this planet :mrgreen: ask me anything about the Daniel Craig interpretation :mrgreen:

I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Good Evening you lovely bunch!
What a day - thanks for the window box idea.
Added to my Prep's Idea list. The emerging prepper in me immediately thinks of some herbs or plants or fruits to grow. Will research.
Today's simple upgrade;
A key storage box.
Keep your keys out of sight (Not in lock) and away from long hooks that burglars use.
Mine looks like a bird house or something. Homely and discreet.
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Whilst I am at it - Make sure you have a letter box with thick draft excluding bristle qualities with a self recoiling internal panel.
I makes navigating said hook that bit more difficult then if you didn't have both.
I am thinking of a letter cage too.
Door opens onto an internal wall so would lose some door opening angel though.
I hope I am not boring you to death. I have a million of these simple little upgrades that add extra layers of home security (I think anyway)
MM
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Appin

Post by Appin »

Haven't got a photo but one addition to my fathers house is a "London Bar"

http://www.londonbar.net/

Recommended after his front door was kicked in.

Appin
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

mightymayesy wrote:Whilst I am at it - Make sure you have a letter box with thick draft excluding bristle qualities with a self recoiling internal panel.
I makes navigating said hook that bit more difficult then if you didn't have both.
Didn't give my locksmith any additional trouble :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Plymtom wrote:
Arzosah wrote: Re: Home Security Upgrades
by Arzosah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am
Don't know if its quite home security, but I also keep a little bottle of spray deoderant in my EDC (a.k.a. handbag). Could keep one in the bedroom too, and the downstairs bathroom ... one likes to be smelling of nice things
Oh :lol: very good :lol: that was also mentioned in season 2 of Falling Skies, the Noah Wyle apoca-fic :lol: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Falling-Skies- ... ling+skies
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

I am also really enjoying reading this thread.
I will try to put forward a suggestion or two from when I lived in a city.

However, living where I do now, home security really doesn't come into it. I haven't locked any of our external doors in over three years. Quite often I come home to a parcel left on the cabinet inside the house.
People here think it is weird when I knock at a front door and wait for them to come open it.
You just walk in and call out. :D
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."