What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

:lol:
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:28 am
GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:16 am Face blindness is horrible.
I wonder... Just idle musing... Have we just discovered that Face Blindness is linked to having a prepping mentality, because it seems pretty common here? Or is it just that we preppers tend to be of a certain age? :) :P I feel a poll and a graph coming up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Age rangeMental AcuityNumber of acquaintancesPercentage we would recogniseNumber of tins of Beans HeldTinfoil Hat Wearer?
:lol: If this place was full of THWs I'd be outta here!
For the others I'll go
60+
6 (I'm not supposed to eat baked beans so I should give them to the food bank)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

PS. You missed out
OCD?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I never recognise people either - unless they have a dog with them. I always recognise animals, just not people :mrgreen:
Ara

Post by Ara »

Another one here with prospa... prosoproso.... face blindness. Always used to get into trouble for "ignoring " people in the street. Someone at work used to come every week and it was 3 years before I recognised her. Now I just say to people "I'm not very good with faces". It doesn't affect me too much from day to day although I do find films confusing when they have similar looking people. I'm forever asking Mr A "who's that? There was a piece on tv about a woman who couldn't even recognise her husband. The reporter showed her a picture of a man whose hair was hidden. She had no idea it was Donald Trump (it was a while ago). Neither did I although I would have recognised him if his hair hadn't been hidden.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The Beeb had an article a couple of years ago about a woman with the opposite problem. If she sat opposite you on the Tube for 2 minutes she would be able to both rememberyour face and where & when she saw you ten years later. This freaks people out if she lets on that she had once walked past them in the street.

I suspect she now works for MI5.......
jansman

Post by jansman »

Fitting solid disability wall handles at the top of the steep stairwell in order to prevent potential * falling * on the steps. Never happened in 32 years,and it ain’t gonna start! Cleaned up the workshop ,and found stuff I had lost and forgotten. Even found seeds of tomatoes,spinach and radish ,and an air rifle under the bench!

Now I am all slowed down,and will be home bound,and living on a very limited income, so therefore we are rearranging our finance. All covered ( well actually) but with a very limited end each week for saving . Still some saving though. Working in cash a lot too. The biggest job outside of usual essentials,as we all know, is groceries. We have a very large walk- in old fashioned pantry. Only gaff along here that still has one. For the two of us,it’s more ,a lot more,than enough storage. Stuff gets turned properly too in that situation. Outside in the other storage building we have two freezers, shelves of tins and jars ( a lot of home made pickled veg and cooked pickle. ) so glad there is room for that,and will be . . Gradually, and it’ll take a year ,we will run a lot of it down into one pantry. Not all though. On one side Ihave sealed buckets ,containing pasta, rice and dried potatoes. All with appropriate anti moisture tabs in there. It’s a lot. That excludes the five gallon bins in the pantry! So we have plenty to go at. The situation is what the long- term prepping has been for. Mind you ,when the daughters were here ,we banged through stuff ,that extra was the main reason for it. The two freezers will be run down to absolutely basic storage too. Mainly for turnover. Also,if we can knock it down to one ( which for two is enough); it saves power. Mind you,proper room helps us to bang in bargains as we get them,including game too.

This method will save ( I have calculated);a thousand pounds a year - but we won’t be struggling.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ara wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:12 pm I do find films confusing when they have similar looking people. I'm forever asking Mr A "who's that?
Been there, plenty of times.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Crikey it's not just me then, quite a few on here.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well just had to have a christmas treat , i have wanted a professional knife sharpening kit for some time , i use my bench grinder most times to reshape if it needs it and i have an electric grinder to but i have wanted a hand sharpener for years , i love working things by hand , i do my chisels and plans by hand so now well it was a bargain so i had to get one i can put razor edges on my knives again , i say you do not need ot fear a sharp tool a blunt one will injury you faster

well stay safe all
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:23 am Well just had to have a christmas treat , i have wanted a professional knife sharpening kit for some time , i use my bench grinder most times to reshape if it needs it and i have an electric grinder to but i have wanted a hand sharpener for years , i love working things by hand , i do my chisels and plans by hand so now well it was a bargain so i had to get one i can put razor edges on my knives again , i say you do not need ot fear a sharp tool a blunt one will injury you faster

well stay safe all
My main knife stone is at my main employer,unfortunately. I’ve owned it ,for decades! but I’ll not go and get it until I tell him to stick the job up his a#se? :lol: :lol: :lol: They are old fashioned and ideal for blades ,proper stones are.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.