Bartering

How are you preparing
JamesMR

Re: Bartering

Post by JamesMR »

itsybitsy wrote:
JamesMR wrote: E.G - Your significant other has an infection and needs penicillin, you come across someone who has it but isn't interested in bartering and tells you to get lost. Would you just say "Oh, ok, no problem"?
If someone didn't want to barter with me then I would retreat and take stock of the situation. I certainly wouldn't just assume I could take what they had by force, or attempt to do so. Because you could be actually about to take that penicillin from someone who need it for their significant other, or their child. And that's a whole other kettle of fish. That's about retaining a level of humanity in a post-sh*t world, because without that, we're all lost. And what happens if you do decide that it's okay to take that penicillin by force, and you get injured. Now not only do you not have what you need, but you don't have the ability to continue on your search for it, or to protect your loved ones if necessary. Your family could be left fatherless and partnerless. How is that going to help them?
Then you are choosing your morals over potential survival? The people that surrounded my friend in the park on his way home from college, knocked him to the floor, stole his phone and stomped on his head and kicked him relentlessly and left him hospitalised wouldn't think twice about taking anything from anyone, least of all if the world had gone to crap. They have no morals and no level of humanity in my eyes. I see you live in Yorkshire which is going to be considerably more friendly than Liverpool. If I lived somewhere nicer I'm sure I would share your views but here you have to do what you have to in order to get by. I don't expect you to fully understand this but all I am saying is If I need to ensure mine or my families survival I will do anything which no conscience. Would I like to rob someone of their possessions? Hell no it's an awful thing to do and in peace times I would do my best to stop it happening to others but when the world is a dark, scary, primal place a conscience will risk your demise.
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

Obviously we can all find that hypothetical scenario when we’d ‘do what we had to’ but to be fair mate your first post did seem to suggest you were saying you’d be far less discriminate....'need' is after all a very subjective term.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

JamesMR wrote:I see you live in Yorkshire which is going to be considerably more friendly than Liverpool. If I lived somewhere nicer I'm sure I would share your views but here you have to do what you have to in order to get by. I don't expect you to fully understand this but all I am saying is If I need to ensure mine or my families survival I will do anything which no conscience. Would I like to rob someone of their possessions? Hell no it's an awful thing to do and in peace times I would do my best to stop it happening to others but when the world is a dark, scary, primal place a conscience will risk your demise.
But how do you know how friendly my area is? I'm intrigued to know on what basis you are making that assumption.
JamesMR

Post by JamesMR »

itsybitsy wrote:
JamesMR wrote:I see you live in Yorkshire which is going to be considerably more friendly than Liverpool. If I lived somewhere nicer I'm sure I would share your views but here you have to do what you have to in order to get by. I don't expect you to fully understand this but all I am saying is If I need to ensure mine or my families survival I will do anything which no conscience. Would I like to rob someone of their possessions? Hell no it's an awful thing to do and in peace times I would do my best to stop it happening to others but when the world is a dark, scary, primal place a conscience will risk your demise.
But how do you know how friendly my area is? I'm intrigued to know on what basis you are making that assumption.
As far as I know Hull is probably the biggest city in your area and it's not exactly renowned for trouble? Either way I'm sure Liverpool is much worse as far as crime and scumbags. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Think I'll slip out the back door and leave this thread be, i've made my point :D
The Ace of Spades

Post by The Ace of Spades »

Is it safe to come out from behind the couch now? Thought for a moment there that the do-do was gonna hit the blower in Cyberspace. :lol:

A few other items that could go on the barter list:

Candles/Tea lights
Soap & Disinfectant
Paper plates/cups & plastic cutlery

That is, should you have them to spare and be willing to trade.

Seems that there is a big difference in opinion on this subject, but I guess we'll only know how we will act/react come the time, should it ever get to that point. Let's hope not, huh?!

Ace. :)
The future belongs to those who prepare.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Praemonitus Praemunitus
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

The Ace of Spades wrote:Is it safe to come out from behind the couch now? Thought for a moment there that the do-do was gonna hit the blower in Cyberspace. :lol:
:lol:

No cyber-do just yet!
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

itsybitsy wrote:
The Ace of Spades wrote:Is it safe to come out from behind the couch now? Thought for a moment there that the do-do was gonna hit the blower in Cyberspace. :lol:
:lol:

No cyber-do just yet!
:lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
storm.ridley

Post by storm.ridley »

thanks for your repleys, some interesting points of view there as well, and some..... well just lost me.
junmist

Post by junmist »

[quote="The Ace of Spades"]Is it safe to come out from behind the couch now? Thought for a moment there that the do-do was gonna hit the blower in Cyberspace. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: wow that got the juices going
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
The Ace of Spades

Post by The Ace of Spades »

It certainly did get the juices flowing. Since my last post on this thread, I've had 3 double JD's, 2 cold showers, and a hot, candlelit bubble-bath to calm my nerves. Of course, I am joking. :lol:

Hopefully, Itsy and James have sorted things out now and they're all friendly again. ;)

Ace. :)
The future belongs to those who prepare.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Praemonitus Praemunitus