Re: What meds should I stock up??

Post by Trish52 »

Every week I buy in my weekly shop:

1x (16p) 500MG Paracetamol
1x (21p) 300MG Aspirin
1x (30p) 200MG Ibuprofen
1x (55p) Sinus Relief Capsules
1x (60p) Hey Fever & Allergy Relief tablets

And as for prescription tablets, my mum is on a bloody boat load such tablets as diazepam etc. Due to serious illnesses so we have a pretty well stocked medicine cupboard. We also have basic anti-biotics, basic first aid-kit, creams etc.

I suffer with athsma and sinus problems which is a huge problem as they don't really give me 'extra' inhalers.. Although I heard ASDA sell the blue ones without prescription, they're £7 though!!!
Prepsicola

Post by Prepsicola »

Some great points on this thread - thanks everyone.
Just a little thing that may be useful for anyone who uses allery releif tablets - basic Piriton in particular... they cost a fortune don't they... but you can buy tubs that are much cheaper.

I ordered mine from Boots last year, £8.99 for 500 tablets - you seem to have to go into store and ask (they never volunteer the info that these are available) - and they may question you as to why you want so many - but if several family members need them you can easily get through that many in a year.

I'm sure other chemists can order them too - and the tub takes up a lot less room in your stores than that many tablets in blister packs.

To carry around the ones I use day to day I use a half of an old contact lens case, one of the little white ones, with the screw top, just big enough for two or three days worth...

Hope the info is of use to someone...
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

look here for info on medicines when you need it, will say if is POM or OTC (prescription or over the counter available) and give the full ins and outs of medicines...including risks and what not to mix together etc

www.medicines.org.uk
Trish52

Post by Trish52 »

Prepsicola wrote:Some great points on this thread - thanks everyone.
Just a little thing that may be useful for anyone who uses allery releif tablets - basic Piriton in particular... they cost a fortune don't they... but you can buy tubs that are much cheaper.

I ordered mine from Boots last year, £8.99 for 500 tablets - you seem to have to go into store and ask (they never volunteer the info that these are available) - and they may question you as to why you want so many - but if several family members need them you can easily get through that many in a year.

I'm sure other chemists can order them too - and the tub takes up a lot less room in your stores than that many tablets in blister packs.

To carry around the ones I use day to day I use a half of an old contact lens case, one of the little white ones, with the screw top, just big enough for two or three days worth...

Hope the info is of use to someone...
Tooo right! My allergies flare up my athesma so I try not to get on the wrong side of either. I spend a small fortune on Piriton!! Thanks :)
Cairistìona

Post by Cairistìona »

Lots of us have mentioned in previous threads about prepping for our pets regarding food, litter etc.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

Some of the things on this site do need a prescripton from an MRCVS but some seem to be able to be purchased by the layman and may be just as useful as preventative measures for your pet I havent trawled the site completely but put the link up in case it was of interest. Whatever the case I thought I'd post it it seemed a bit unfair that fish were going to be the only pet to be prepped for because we could make use of their antibiotics! :lol:

The meds I'd stock - no brainer - the same ones Ive been stocking up for ages the ones for my chronic condition.
Everything else is secondary to them.
Trish52

Post by Trish52 »

If you suffer from heart burn then pick up some Gaviscon from Costco! 3x 16 Chewable tablets for £4.99 (including vat!!!) I checked in my local chemist and the RRP is: £3.29 per 16 chewable tablet box. (BIG SAVING)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Great couple of websites recommended for research there, thank you folks.
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

Trish52 wrote:
I suffer with athsma and sinus problems which is a huge problem as they don't really give me 'extra' inhalers.. Although I heard ASDA sell the blue ones without prescription, they're £7 though!!!
keep an eye out when you or friends go abroad as you can often buy them over the counter much cheaper than here! We picked some up in Greece for my sister a few years ago
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Trish52 wrote:If you suffer from heart burn then pick up some Gaviscon from Costco! 3x 16 Chewable tablets for £4.99 (including vat!!!) I checked in my local chemist and the RRP is: £3.29 per 16 chewable tablet box. (BIG SAVING)
Along with the

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
and
Calpol For the little ones
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
essgee23

Post by essgee23 »

poppypiesdad wrote:
Trish52 wrote:If you suffer from heart burn then pick up some Gaviscon from Costco! 3x 16 Chewable tablets for £4.99 (including vat!!!) I checked in my local chemist and the RRP is: £3.29 per 16 chewable tablet box. (BIG SAVING)
Along with the

Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
and
Calpol For the little ones
watch the 'brufen if have stomach 'issues' - last thing you want is gastric ulcers or a bleed.

also - ranitadine (zantac) is better in some circumstances than gaviscon - not sure on prices, but if you check own brands, should be less than the big brand. it neutralises stomach acid much more effectively.