Student journalist looking to speak to some of you

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Britcit

Re: Student journalist looking to speak to some of you

Post by Britcit »

adamc wrote:Hi,

I'm a student journalist in Edinburgh, for one of my classes i have to make a short video on a topic of my choice. I've been interested in this stuff for a while and was wondering if any of you would be up for speaking to me? I'm based in Edinburgh but can travel depending where you are. Anyways, thanks for reading and let me know if anyones up for it.

Cheers,

Adam
If you wanted to travel here, I'll happily talk to you. I guess I may be a bit off the beaten track for you, but I could stop by Edinburgh on my next trip south. May not be for 3 - 4 months, so may not be of use to you.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:Deep's spidey senses told him to go with the flow and give a little rope, and I for one am cool with that, where we fall down here is if we have put someone off us, does that serve us any better than the stereotype we get labelled with?
Sorry for cherry picking your post Tom, it was more a "little rope! than my "spidey senses", I just remembered another member who was willing to help someone out in a similar situation and the OP was pretty upfront about their reason for being here, if nobody responded then fair do's. As it turned out....
Britcit wrote:
If you wanted to travel here, I'll happily talk to you. I guess I may be a bit off the beaten track for you, but I could stop by Edinburgh on my next trip south. May not be for 3 - 4 months, so may not be of use to you.
I'm quite possibly the closest regular poster to Edinburgh on here but had no intention of getting involved, as it turned out others might be willing to help and I hope the OP hasn't been put off by some of the arsey responses. If you're not interested then don't respond, pretty simple, I've only felt the need to reply because I'm embarrassed by some of the replies so far. Total minters all round, in fact, if the OP hasn't been put off I'll happily answer questions but I'll not do anything on video. The best we can do to make up for some of the responses. Post a reply on here Adam and we'll sort something out.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:Sorry for cherry picking your post Tom, it was more a "little rope! than my "spidey senses", I just remembered another member who was willing to help someone out in a similar situation and the OP was pretty upfront about their reason for being here, if nobody responded then fair do's. As it turned out...
I've been around long enough to know the mods ( many before they were mods ) and trust their judgement, yours included of course. Any reporter could just join privately and interact on the threads where many of us go with the SHTF TEOTWAWKI scenarios and draw conclusions we would prefer they did not, this site is so big in terms of content now that one could join, never interact much and yet find out all they needed to know, about prepping in the UK and much about every one of us because we all let little details slip one way or another, they could also look at a time line and see how we all change over time, not just as we progress from new to this to settled long term preppers, but how we react to different threats, possible threats, and world events, from disasters to political changes, the way we look at how to cope with potential effects rather than get political, that in itself puts this site ( I don't do any others so I don't know) on a sensible footing, it would be a goldmine for research if it occurred to anyone to read, search and discover rather than ask the same questions they would find in threads which already exist.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

for **** sake the young lad asked a question if you dont like the thread go on another its not hurting anyone i thought this forum was to help each other not spell check the size of your dicks
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I would quite like to hear from the OP if he is still talking to us ! :?

I'd be interested to hear if he has approached other groups and how the reaction was. I know that many are careful of what they say to anyone even close to "the media" as this whole scene does tend to get a bad image, portrayed as doomsday survivalists. :lol:

It would be nice if we got someone onside, to give a less sensationalist image to others. It may well be that there are some people out there who are doing things that we do but don't identify themselves as preppers, per se.

On the whole, interesting...Adam ? If you are still out there, do a few more posts so you can get PM entitlement, then shoot me a PM if you do not feel like talking in public. I am a new member here but I am quite happy to converse :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

kevprep85 wrote:for **** sake the young lad asked a question if you dont like the thread go on another its not hurting anyone i thought this forum was to help each other not spell check the size of your dicks
I hope you haven't read anything bad against the OP in my comments, they weren't meant that way, we're past that and as Shocker said hope he'll interact as it is his profile will tell you he joined on Monday lunchtime and was back on Monday evening and gone before Andy's second post, I hope he returns, but his mind may have been made up before Setholy put his foot in it :( time will tell I suppose.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I certainly didnt read anything "anti" into your posts Tom, you were measured and thoughtful, as ever mate 8-)

I do understand how media, students and so on can put us lot on the defensive. Im only a newbie here on this platform but have been living the life for a long time. In fact I was brought up on a hand to mouth, do it yourself smallholding. So I get it when peoples hackles go up, its an understandable reaction and I have been guilty of it before, here, on this board :oops:

I hope its not shutting the stable door after the new guy has bolted, it would be nice to get some realistic representation. Even if its just a students project ! It could mean someone in "the media" with a positive attitude towards the subject, in the future.

Sooo...come back Adam ! All is forgiven and you are welcome here. Theres a brew on for you mate, pull up a pew ! :D
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

He's certainly been for a look see today ;)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Cool - lets hope he reads far enough into the thread to get to the positive bit ! 8-)

Please dont anyone think that I'm knocking what has been said before, on this thread. I get it, the protectiveness that people have here, for themselves and each other. I have no beef with anyone. Or lamb. Pork even. Maybe chicken though. Or turkey. With stuffing. I'll just get me coat, then... :oops:
kevprep85

Post by kevprep85 »

Plymtom wrote:
kevprep85 wrote:for **** sake the young lad asked a question if you dont like the thread go on another its not hurting anyone i thought this forum was to help each other not spell check the size of your dicks
I hope you haven't read anything bad against the OP in my comments, they weren't meant that way, we're past that and as Shocker said hope he'll interact as it is his profile will tell you he joined on Monday lunchtime and was back on Monday evening and gone before Andy's second post, I hope he returns, but his mind may have been made up before Setholy put his foot in it :( time will tell I suppose.
Not in the slightest budy id love to see this site move forward maybe as a mobile app. I just cant stomach reading some of the negative crap ive seen more and more lately :? its a great site though high five to the powers that be
failure to prepare is preparing to fail.