What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:16 pm Well I've looked out the head torches and candle lanterns because it's the worst night in a good few years outside now. Rain battering like hell at the windows and the wind is roaring like a train coming out of a tunnel. Bound to be a lot of damage tomorrow and I'm just waiting for the lights to go off.
Hope your roof is ok. My new roof has a small leak, I think it's going over the flashing where the roof meets the chimney. I've been waiting 3 days for the roofer to come. He didn't even contact me yesterday. The night before he was all apologetic for not turning up. He must think I'm happy to just sit here, not daring to leave the house. Furtunately it's not actually dripped in, it's just a damp patch. I did drill some holes. But I still daren't leave the house for more than a few minutes.

Re torches.
I have a head torch on my bed post, and another in a small book case right next to the bed, so, two I can reach while in bed, in the dark. Also my phone of course, can be used as a torch. That's in the same book case. The torch and phone are stood up in a small woorden organiser, that also has a drawer full of batteries and some pens. Next to the bookcase is a rack with my mac mini and on this is my emergency radio, which also has a built in torch. This uses two 18650 batteries but can work with one. The torch uses one 18650. On my bedroom door is a shoulder bag. This has various bits including AAAs for my head torch. Also I keep my big old Petzl head torch hanging on the cellar door. That's more for if a lodger has to go to the fuse box in the dark.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Jump starter powerbank arrived.

Leads are fine if your neighbours awake and outside at 0400, otherwise your SOOL. :mrgreen:

Time to get up to date with some tech.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am going to get my replacement fencing finished this week,and son in law help me put it up. Also he will bring another saw round and we will smash and stack firewood. Enough for this Winter is there ,along with next. This lot will supply a third Winter,so Mrs J has sufficient while deciding if she wants to live there when I am no longer on earth. The only other outstanding job is dismantling the hen houses,but the lads are going to help again I am told. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:16 pm Well I've looked out the head torches and candle lanterns because it's the worst night in a good few years outside now. Rain battering like hell at the windows and the wind is roaring like a train coming out of a tunnel. Bound to be a lot of damage tomorrow and I'm just waiting for the lights to go off.
Hope all is well there .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

How are you all ..hope you got through it without too much damage
There are a lot of power cuts here but fortunately we still have power
I've been out and dragged two large thick branches down to the bottom of my garden from the corner of street where wind has blown tree down
All I can manage but its some and once dry will give me a good few days of firewood
I'll be in the pool when the council come to remove so cant sweet talk them to chop it and bring round ( could leave a note on tree :)
The river has burst at bottom of road also so thats closed for a while
It was wild last night..now for the freezing temps!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:36 am
How are you all ..hope you got through it without too much damage
There are a lot of power cuts here but fortunately we still have power
I've been out and dragged two large thick branches down to the bottom of my garden from the corner of street where wind has blown tree down
All I can manage but its some and once dry will give me a good few days of firewood
I'll be in the pool when the council come to remove so cant sweet talk them to chop it and bring round ( could leave a note on tree :)
The river has burst at bottom of road also so thats closed for a while
It was wild last night..now for the freezing temps!

When the chainsaw man arrives go out with a pot of tea and biscuits that usually sweetens the deal if it's not something like an oak tree :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

picked a few more seeds up from home bargin's today and a couple more of the nite lite pull up battery lanterns,not sure if iv mentioned about the new ones that have the logo on the top,or if someone else has mentioned it but you can unscrew the top where the logo is and store spare batteries for them in there
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:03 am Jump starter powerbank arrived.

Leads are fine if your neighbours awake and outside at 0400, otherwise your SOOL. :mrgreen:

Which one you go for updated mine recently £30 for a michalin one with wireless charger capability for mobiles plus 4.0l petrol 2.0 l derv capability
Screenshot_20230115-161004.png
Gool old boyes department stores itsy will know of it and possibly Jansman any any Northern monkeys ;)

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:51 pm

Which one you go for updated mine recently £30 for a michalin one with wireless charger capability for mobiles plus 4.0l petrol 2.0 l derv capabilityScreenshot_20230115-161004.png

Gool old boyes department stores itsy will know of it and possibly Jansman any any Northern monkeys ;)
Hi mate i been lookign at gettign a new unit and i like the NOCO ones i was looking at a top end one as the guy local his car died i mean dead my old jumper turned the engine a coupel of times then was flat a guy came over with a NOCO top notch thing hooked up and said tyhe battery was reading 4v he hit the boost button waited a few seconds said now try and sure enough it banged over the 2 lt bmw no issue and had it running , i was very impressed and he showed me it is a power bank and he uses it sometimes when out on the road to power his little tv and laptop , i know they are pricey but wonder if you know of them Andy .

Prep wise i got my kelly kettle yesterday not had a chance to unbox yet as was unwell so tonight i might open as i was going to do a review on it i will wash it all in boiling water then season the paqns in oil in the oven i like to do that to the frying pan part and the saucepan before first use , but we shall see .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

steptoe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:35 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:51 pm

Which one you go for updated mine recently £30 for a michalin one with wireless charger capability for mobiles plus 4.0l petrol 2.0 l derv capabilityScreenshot_20230115-161004.png

Hi mate i been lookign at gettign a new unit and i like the NOCO ones i was looking at a top end one as the guy local his car died i mean dead my old jumper turned the engine a coupel of times then was flat a guy came over with a NOCO top notch thing hooked up and said tyhe battery was reading 4v he hit the boost button waited a few seconds said now try and sure enough it banged over the 2 lt bmw no issue and had it running , i was very impressed and he showed me it is a power bank and he uses it sometimes when out on the road to power his little tv and laptop , i know they are pricey but wonder if you know of them Andy .

Prep wise i got my kelly kettle yesterday not had a chance to unbox yet as was unwell so tonight i might open as i was going to do a review on it i will wash it all in boiling water then season the paqns in oil in the oven i like to do that to the frying pan part and the saucepan before first use , but we shall see .

I got the michalin one due to its size and weight... For sheer bruit force I've got this

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessori ... e-pac-1600

I know you have spare batteries 😉

It's got the added advantage of been simple I got the wife's car home when it's battery failed to a dead short by clipping the battery terminals to it insulating the live and strapping the pack to the bulkhead

We have an identical unit at work it'll do a 6l Perkins diesel lump from cold