HHO Genorator

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
StephenLee

Re: HHO Genorator

Post by StephenLee »

Right, I understand. Please accept my apologies, the increased MPG you are witnessing is, very likely, due to the HHO in the combustion after all.

Could you tell me a bit more about your set up in the vehicle please. Is it petrol or DERV, how are you getting the HHO into the engine, Is it carburettor or injection, Your normal (Pre HHO) MPG and approx. mileage of the engine. Oh! and engine capacity.

Years ago, as an impecunious student, I needed to get from Oxford to Liverpool to the the, then, girlfriend for the weekend. I was short of both fuel and funds so drove like a nun, coasting down hills, gentle acceleration, little braking, the usual 'frugal driving' stuff. Being a keen (that should read 'of necessity') mechanic, I kept careful records of fuel consumption, etc. My car at that time was getting 23-25 MPG about town and 30-35 MPG on a run. On this particular trip I managed 44 MPG.

Stephen

P.S I love Hot Fuzz
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Might be an idea to let your insurance company know you have made the adaptions to the car, after all it would be a shame if you had an accident and found you weren't covered, especially if you ended up in a box and there was no pay out to pay for it all.

And it does happen.
TomW

Post by TomW »

Trying to get this straight in my head so please bear with me and correct me if I'm wrong.

You've disconnected the battery in your car and have attached the hydrogen generator to the alternator instead which then provides the H to the engine. The car battery is then recharged at home from solar.

I'm seeing a couple of things given the above to be accurate.

1. Unless you've notified your insurance company your insurance is currently invalid as Gnole says. If you are involved in an accident and the insurance company finds out, they will not payout irrelevant of the facts and fault of said accident. Its possible the police will also get involved. Feel free to experiment but don't drive the car while modified without proper cover!

2. Car starting batteries are designed to be kept near full and provide high amps for brief periods. By discharging the battery by starting multiple times without recharging, the battery will quickly lose its capacity. It may last for ages, but sods law states it will fail at the worst possible time!

3. The law of conservation of energy states that you cannot create or destroy energy merely change its form. As already said changing the form of stored energy always incurs losses, its why engines are noisy and get hot. Therefore you cannot get more energy out than you put in. Producing hydrogen takes electricity which is produced by the alternator driven by the engine fueled by petrol/diesel. The hydrogen will certainly be off setting the energy cost of its production but not exceding it.

4. Your increase in Mpg is probably, as stated previously, due to more conservative driving. The other thing that may have an effect is the H generator taking less power than recharging your car battery did. You could increase your mpg even more by disconnecting the H generator as well. The most efficient thing you could do in short is to reset your car to how it was but install a pv panel to charge your car battery while on the go. This would lessen the load on the alternator somewhat while still maintaining the battery correctly. Also not using any of the vehicles unnecessary electrical systems (radio, aircon, power windows etc) will lessen the need for recharging the battery once again improving mpg.

Continue having fun with the experiments, but get covered!!

Good luck :)

Tom
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

I currently don't have a car, but if I did and I wanted to experiment with Hydrogen generators, I would get the hydrogen generator powered by another source and not the car battery. I would use either a separate deep cycle battery stored in the boot of the car (not connected to the car's electrical system in any way at all) that would get charged up at home off mains or solar, OR maybe a TEG (thermoelectric generator) unit attached to the exhaust of the car or possibly the radiator (or both!) or other heat loss area to generate the power to make the electrolysis reaction.
I also would stick clear of caustic soda based electrolytes (for safety's sake) and stick to acetic acid based electrolytes
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
pietka

Post by pietka »

No batteries are not disconnected! but an aditional battery added to the glove box! i'm covered under the term "Modified" as there is no list of moifications given by my insurance company! it works you can deny it by quoting laws of physics! I am in the process of making a video! but please dont critisize it unless your willing to do it yourself! my radio is always on and i rarely use anything else!
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

I still think you should have a frank and honest discussion with your insurance company, to make sure you have proper cover, the amount of paperwork involved for an LPG conversion is there for a reason.

What you are doing is illegal to take on the road without proper cover so that I guess also makes your post in contravention of forum rules IIRC.

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blo ... ce/page/2/
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This is not yet a police state gnole nor yet a police forum. We are not here to pass judgement on the legality or otherwise of details on Pietka's car insurance. We are not insurance lawyers, and have no wish to be either! -Although maybe the Meerkat forums would help with that? :lol: :lol:
Sorry LOL couldn't help that :mrgreen:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote:This is not yet a police state gnole nor yet a police forum. We are not here to pass judgement on the legality or otherwise of details on Pietka's car insurance. We are not insurance lawyers, and have no wish to be either! -Although maybe the Meerkat forums would help with that? :lol: :lol:
Sorry LOL couldn't help that :mrgreen:
Or maybe the lovely ladies at Sheila's Wheels... :mrgreen:
pietka

HHO Genorator

Post by pietka »

Its clear that I'm not thought competent to talk to and arrange with my insurance company the cover I need! Nor is it safe to play with explosive gasses! So I will carry on playing in my shed and not bother anyone with what I do on this matter any further!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

pietka wrote:Its clear that I'm not thought competent to talk to and arrange with my insurance company the cover I need!!
Oh, take no notice of Gnoleywoley! ;)