Back to nature...

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Back to nature...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:58 am
I’ve said this before,and now again. Anyone who gets shirty or on a high horse about climate change- like the protesters,
Last year I caught some early teenagers and there mother putting a "stop driving" flier under my wiper rather than do the gtf off my car I asked what the problem was with my car and why it's the only one with a flier on it.... Well it's a 4x4 / suv. ... Big car = bad....

So I asked if they knew what euro 6 compliance is .. mum just looked clueless so they got a quick lecture on start stop / regenerative braking low emissions Vs the small car near me being in the same co2 per mile grouping for ved..

Then asked if they'd been on holiday since lockdown.. hook line and sinker smallest "we went to Spain" ... Did you fly? Yes.... How much co2 did that release per person.. by now mum looked very sheepish... I went camping in the moors 50 miles away off grid for a week :tinfoil

How should I get to work? By bus.... Good idea kids but when is the first bus to the village 9 miles away?? Yep 8am i start at 7am.... But to get to the village is a 1hr 45min ride which goes "past" the village to the city then I've got to get a bus back to get to the village a 45mile journey to travel 9 miles that'll fix the planet won't it when I get a P45 fit being nearly 3hrs late every day

Mentioned should we discuss the solar lights in my lounge pointing out the little solar charger on the sill or food miles and my allotment

Mum couldn't get away fast enough :lol:

On a plus side my tyres weren't let down next morning
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:58 am
I’ve said this before,and now again. Anyone who gets shirty or on a high horse about climate change- like the protesters,
Last year I caught some early teenagers and there mother putting a "stop driving" flier under my wiper rather than do the gtf off my car I asked what the problem was with my car and why it's the only one with a flier on it.... Well it's a 4x4 / suv. ... Big car = bad....

So I asked if they knew what euro 6 compliance is .. mum just looked clueless so they got a quick lecture on start stop / regenerative braking low emissions Vs the small car near me being in the same co2 per mile grouping for ved..

Then asked if they'd been on holiday since lockdown.. hook line and sinker smallest "we went to Spain" ... Did you fly? Yes.... How much co2 did that release per person.. by now mum looked very sheepish... I went camping in the moors 50 miles away off grid for a week :tinfoil

How should I get to work? By bus.... Good idea kids but when is the first bus to the village 9 miles away?? Yep 8am i start at 7am.... But to get to the village is a 1hr 45min ride which goes "past" the village to the city then I've got to get a bus back to get to the village a 45mile journey to travel 9 miles that'll fix the planet won't it when I get a P45 fit being nearly 3hrs late every day

Mentioned should we discuss the solar lights in my lounge pointing out the little solar charger on the sill or food miles and my allotment

Mum couldn't get away fast enough :lol:

On a plus side my tyres weren't let down next morning
Precisely Andy!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

"The growth in global population follows a flat line for most of human history and then, at the turn of the industrial revolution, the line shifts to nearly vertical – like a hockey stick – as the population explodes. The same shape show growth in technology and innovation –flat for thousands of years and then suddenly germ theory, telephones, airplanes and the internet, all within a few hundred years.

Sadly, a graph showing the increasing destruction of our environment would have the same shape and would lead to our demise."

"Without a thriving biosphere, there is no human future."

Stephen Luby
Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases), Senior Fellow at the Woods Institute and the Freeman Spogli Institute, and Professor, by courtesy, of Health Research and Policy (Epidemiology)

"H. sapiens might therefore already be a dead species walking."
"I suspect that the human population is set not just for shrinkage but collapse—and soon. To paraphrase Lehrer, if we are going to write about human extinction, we’d better start writing now."
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... o-extinct/
Henry Gee is a paleontologist, evolutionary biologist and editor at Nature. His latest book is A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth (St. Martin’s Press, 2021).
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

“There are plenty of reasons to believe climate change could become catastrophic, even at modest levels of warming,” said Dr Luke Kemp at the University of Cambridge’s Centre for the Study of Existential Risk, who led the analysis. “Climate change has played a role in every mass extinction event. It has helped fell empires and shaped history.

“Paths to disaster are not limited to the direct impacts of high temperatures, such as extreme weather events. Knock-on effects such as financial crises, conflict and new disease outbreaks could trigger other calamities.”
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

"Could anthropogenic climate change result in worldwide societal collapse or even eventual human extinction? At present, this is a dangerously underexplored topic. Yet there are ample reasons to suspect that climate change could result in a global catastrophe. "

https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2108146119
PNAS is one of the world's most-cited and comprehensive multidisciplinary scientific journals, publishing more than 3,500 research papers annually.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Wow
Thanks for your input frnc .
Money talks and money is dragging its feet 😒, its obvious that big change is coming but only on moneys terms .
I predict that the majority will have very different lives and the 1% will live as they wish.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

These are all the feedbacks that will increase and speed up warming

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1810141115