Cleavers aka Goose Grass

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
GillyBee

Re: Cleavers aka Goose Grass

Post by GillyBee »

Has anyone investigated the Greek tradition of "Horta"? It would seem that Greek and Cretan foraging traditions for greens have survived into the 21st century and a number of people have blogged about it.
e.g. https://www.dianekochilas.com/glossary- ... -greens-2/

In a nutshell it seems to be a case of gather your favourite weeds or garden greens, wash well, boil in water and serve with lemon or vinegar and olive oil. The water is drunk as a tea. The astounding thing is the long list of edible wild greens still used.

I need to find a Greek granny & ask for lessons!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

That list is useful, but obviously some species won't be found in the UK so you need to go through it and see. You can use my top 200 UK species thread.
To get even more than 200, go here https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence ... ading=true#
Click on "choose more" under Taxon, and you get a box. It should have a dropdown list of hundreds, in order, but if not, you need to click on it somewhere to get that.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I liked the article because it covered both sides of the question.
1 - What to pick which would need to be adjusted to the UK
2 - What to do with them once you have picked them.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:21 pm I liked the article because it covered both sides of the question.
1 - What to pick which would need to be adjusted to the UK
2 - What to do with them once you have picked them.
Yes, I need to go through it, might do it today.
There might be a closely related species that's edible and found in the UK if one isn't found here. Just be aware that plant FAMILIES can contain edible and poisonous plants. The most famous is the carrot family, which has the most poisonous plants in the UK. I also know of one poisonous species within the daisy family, which is the biggest plant family and contains many edible species such as daisy, dandelion, burdock, yarrow, some thistles, cat's ear, mugwort, pineapple weed, prickly wild lettuce, salsify. One book I have says to check if a plant is in this family as an early step in ID, as it's such a big family and is a bit different. Each flower in a composite. The centre is many tiny flowers, and the big petals around it are also actually individual flowers. Sunflowers are also in this family. The poisonous one I know is Ragwort. It's only dangerous if you eat loads though.