Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Toddie

Re: Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Post by Toddie »

I love the idea of this. The price isn't too bad either. As badgersden said the amount of info you could put on one of these could be invaluable. But it'd definitely be a luxury item.
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
Rusty337

Post by Rusty337 »

Madsquad wrote:that is really nice might have to pick me one up

just remember where we live bud, this is the first summer in years where we have actually seen sun haha
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week./

Democratic republic of Area 11
Madsquad

Post by Madsquad »

lol to true bud but still a nice bit of kit to have for data storage movies music and so on if shtf
Attack Warning Red

Re: Re: Waterproof, solar powered, rugged laptop - $400

Post by Attack Warning Red »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Attack Warning Red wrote:Just seen the website, and see the computer runs Linux... :shock:
Sorta...Ubuntu, which is what I use (coz Microsoft is EVIL) . Its a friendly looking window and tab front-end thats not too scary even if you're not some kind of hacker/nerd.
Actually, I totally agree with the philosophy of Linux/Ubuntu etc. I like the idea of open source OS and progs. By the people for the people. :) It's not driven by profits and the upgrade trap... How it should be.

I have dabbled a little with Ubuntu a few years ago, on my ancient (year 2000) PC, and it ran well. I currently have a PC and a Mac. I may well install it when I get the next PC...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ah, I'm preaching to the Choir then :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Bodhihermit

Post by Bodhihermit »

Just had a look at the site and that was a pleasent suprise, running linux :D :D

Think i would probable install my beloved Netrunner KDE, Ubuntu's fine, but Im not the biggest fan of Unity, :roll: but yeah Im definitely in the market for one of those babies :D
Area 1

The most Important aspect to Prepping is "Keep your Mouth shut"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

320GB HDD.....

Not going to store many HD err "survival" videos on that ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
teatowls

Post by teatowls »

Would definitely be a handy thing to have if you've got the money for it.

You can store important information and scans of documents on it, save all your pictures, keep youtube clips or movies on it and your music collection too! You could always try to get a couple of games on there as well.. may not be great for gaming but some educational games for children and some extra ways to get your mind off things might be appreciated.
If there's not enough space then you can get some external hard drives to store things on and plug them in when needed.
BookishCrow

Post by BookishCrow »

I agree with most of the rebuttals to the -No internet. Pointless.- argument. Computers aren't just about internet, it's about compact information. You can get the entire encyclopedia, references books out the wazoo, step by step how to videos on all topics one would need to know, educational materials, foreign languages, etc etc etc, ad nauseum that you can have saved on digits and it will take up the same amount of space as a box of chocolates. That's HUGE, those things...those are invaluable to structuring civilization. You might not be able to save REAL books (as a book fanatic and prepper I've learned that it's just not feasible to store everything) ....but you could download all the classics for free online in digital form. If civilization breaks down and you have a digital way of storing massive amounts of useful information, you are giving your children as well as yer children's children an invaluable resource. If you look at the levels of illiteracy in more primitive times to what we have today...the science, the language, those are priceless to try to save. Heck, something as simple as the self-updating calendar on a computer is an incredible advance to what it could be. The ability to schedule, plan, organize...with the touch of a button, that's amazing. To be able to input data about crops times, circulation, planting times, have a digital record of what has occurred and calculate data out with a press of a key? Oh yes, that solar laptop seems like a completly understandable investment to me, sure it will definitely be a luxury to be able to save music, entertainment, etc...but the practical applications of technology are much more precious.
Amber_Leith

Post by Amber_Leith »

Top of your shopping list shouldbe any device with an e-ink screen for storing digital information long term, purely for the battery life compared too anything with an lcd screen.

I'm probably one of the few people on here who has had too live with portable solar power to keep a device going and you soon realise what's important and what isn't. Number one for me was Maps, totally invaluable, in a real shtf scenario then survival literature is a must.

Music, videos etc are a luxury you don't need should things really go south. What you want is something that can be powered by usb, so a phone or ideally an e-reader for the battery life.

For weight, solar availability and potential benfits, nothing about that laptop deal appeals lol. I could barely power a small, old fashioned (non smart) phone with a solar system not too dis-similar too that laptops.

As for folk looking to have their iphones or whatever, forget it, thwy can barely be kept charged with an abundant mains supply already.