What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
banshie13

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by banshie13 »

Been collecting glass jars to make jam so its the turn of bramble jelly, I have already made strawberry and raspberry jam and raspberry jelly. Bringing in the
veg and herbs. I gave the parsley a scare do and it seems to be regrowing so more parsley for soup. Boyfriends family is coming to pick brambles and help to make raised bed so I guess i will be very busy tomorrow lol.

banshie13
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

Here's a video of the one i use to strip pallets and help me lift boards, £40ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_AVUrbSwQ

there is one called "priory nail puller" - thst's good too..

cheers
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Attack Warning Red wrote:Yesterday I bought a new knife. An Opinel no. 7. On holiday and found a small but well-stocked outdoor and surplus shop.

It's a cheap (£9.50) little French folding lock knife, but well-made. Yet to give it a proper bashing, but it's my first carbon steel blade so I'll see what I think!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
It should give you great service, just remember its a scapel not an axe.
I tend to buy the #8 and grind more of a clip-back as I like the wider blade

Re: Nail pullers, I have an old one thats like this, the handle slides so it acts as a captive hammer and can double the length of the lever

It quite happily pulls annunlar nails (the ringed ones used for pallets) and has removed clenched over nails (without lifting the points first) from a three inch sandwich of planks in a Ledge & Brace door. One of my essentials in my pioneering toolbox

Been eyeing up a damson tree and picking, blanching & freezing various long beans
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Thanks for the vid Daz , I've got a nail puller like forge's although to be honest I don't tend to use it much, I suppose we all work in our own ways.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Tesco value stock up on food in case the winter comes and I cant get my self out and do some shopping.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Last weekend I got two hens that are laying well. We've also started picking blackberries and keeping a beady eye on crabapples, rosehips, hawthorns and damsons. Stocked up on toothpaste, toilet roll, casserole sauce, pie filling and coffee. btw, do rabbits make good "lawn mowers" I am trying to persuade my husband (non-prepper) that they would be great to keep but I am more interested in breeding them for the dinner pot. Any suggestions? Happy prepping!
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

I've been working on cutting weight and increasing space in my rucksacks. I found some of those dark brown screw top plastic medicine bottles on eBay. They are about 60mm tall and 30mm wide and I bought ten for a fiver. I've been filling them with vaseline, soap, handwash, camomile lotion and toothpaste. In these small sizes, they are handy for my 24Hr/Get-me-home-bag and being all the same size, they don't take up too much space or weigh a lot. For toothpaste, I just stuff the brush in the bottle and it comes out applied with paste. Nice and simple and smaller than the smallest tube of toothpaste, especially if you cut the toothbrush's handle in half.

I also bought some empty medicine tubs which are cylindrical, flip top and about 30mm x 60mm. I've filled these with erm....medicine and also done a few with petroleum jelly. It's just handy having all things the same size in your pack and four of these end to end are just a bit bigger than a tube of smarties.

I sorted out a day-bag/get-me-home pack for my wife to keep in her car. In there is the usual med-kit, water, energy drink sachets, etc, etc but it's missing a sharp cutting tool so I need to find a lightweight cutter with a window-breaking point to add to her bag. I found one for a fiver on the EDCgear website.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sounds great, Briggs! I've got one of those cutters, and I'd recommend practice with it before your wife just puts it on the keyring ... it works brilliantly, but at first it was very stiff to get off its mount, and if you can't do that, it won't work. Holding it just right to smash a window is also important 8-) and very impressive :)

I'm trying to prioritise food and water preps - water filtration, and a rocket stove, but I've got too many little projects on the go, and too many long journeys coming up, to be able to give it the time I'd like. I'm working on it, tho.
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

dazthechippy wrote:Here's a video of the one i use to strip pallets and help me lift boards, £40ish

cheers
Hi dazthechippy, thanks for the video, where do they sell the nail pullers? they certainly do the job I think one would fit nicely into my tool bag.

regards arnieh.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

arnieh wrote:
dazthechippy wrote:Here's a video of the one i use to strip pallets and help me lift boards, £40ish

cheers
Hi dazthechippy, thanks for the video, where do they sell the nail pullers? they certainly do the job I think one would fit nicely into my tool bag.

regards arnieh.
Google is your friend
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... foy6g08t_e

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/refine/-/1/2..... BTW this is the site I buy my Hultafors knives from, they give discounts for buying more then one item ...... Due to this I effectivly got one of the last lot of knives free as the multi-buy discount was equal to the cost of it (just a customer, no other interest)

Could probably be found cheaper if you look around
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar