what will best to grow in winter?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
slugbert

what will best to grow in winter?

Post by slugbert »

hello there my father and myself have a allotment and are currently looking at what to grow during the winter months any ideas thanks
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
-- Ben Franklin

Area 9
grenfell

Re: what will best to grow in winter?

Post by grenfell »

Here's a few -
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/orientalgreens.html
plus garlic , onions and so on . Never too late to stick something in
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I've just put some carrots in, and will be planting garlic shortly.
slugbert

Post by slugbert »

Ive only grown carrots the once Ive never grown garlic ill have another go
By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
-- Ben Franklin

Area 9
tigs

Post by tigs »

root veg and sprouts are in also have chillies and few other things planted in the poly tunnel
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

Garlic always grows well, but for the best results, plant before the first frost (i.e.: autumn). I don't know if it is an 'old wife’s tale', but I am led to believe that a good frost aids the growing process, as it is meant to assist with ‘forcing’ the parent bulb to divide. This, in turn, results in a garlic head with lots of good sized bulbs, not a few large ones.

Kale is also a good hardy crop, although it tends to remain dormant during the winter and suddenly ‘bloom’ once the days get a bit longer (end of February / early March). I think that it may be a bit late to grow it from seed now: I usually plant it in the garden in September, after the plants have grown to about 3 inches.

Lastly, the other winter crop that I grow are leeks, although, as with the kale, it may be a bit late to sow them now. Mind you, if we have a mild autumn, they may grow well!
Mr R

Post by Mr R »

How could I forget winter lettuce!
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

Sept is a bit late for stuff from seed or even rooted young plants. Anything young growing now will be ready January on. Your chance is to plan a winter rotation next year after your main crop. If you're thinking of stocks for shortages/survival then you need to grow essentials like potatos, beans, carrots and preserve the excess for winter use. Let us know what you have planned as I have an allotment and always learning from others.