Depends on your price range and if you want pre charged or spring
Madsquad

Re: Hunting Air Rifle

Post by Madsquad »

well am not to sure but my budget is under £800
unsure

Post by unsure »

i`m guessing none fac , s200 and up or just about any other pcp rifle .
i have a chinese co2 thats good for taking pigeons at 20 yards .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
sg4

Post by sg4 »

Well the best quality for that price range is the Air Arms S410(£599) or S510(£699) then add £50 for suppressor and £75 plus for a scope and mounts. both precharged. spring rifle wise you want the Air Arms TX200, Pro Sport or Weihrauch HW97 models. best bet is go to your local gun shop and have a feel of them then get the one that feels comfortable. They cost more than a £200 break barrel for a reason and will last 20 times as long. I've seen 30 year old Weihrauchs killing pidgeons
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

sg4 has said it all bud, S410 is stunning, Im lucky enough to have one in FAC
survivor_steve

Post by survivor_steve »

best bet mate is to head down gunshop or club and handle a few, i likes air arms superlight but was a tad to light, next was daystate huntsman but found an awkward bit that after holding for a few minutes dug in my hand, lovely looking, super accurate but not for me, was thinking a rapid but then handled hw100 fsb kt, me personally dont like the look much but it felt real good for me and the cocking was easy as anything.... after 3 solid days hunting round different gunshops thats what i ended up buying but everyones different but heres a few things for you to think of

do you want it for hunting,plinking or targets
what kind of stock do you want, wood synthetic,camo etc
is weight an issue, some of the hw's are a tad on the heavy side my hw80 scoped up etc is over 11lb, lugging round fields on a hot day is unbearable however a superlight by air arms is just that
if pcp will you be getting a stirrup pump or dive bottle, no good having a dive bottle if you have to drive 100 miles to get it filled up
if springer are you bothered about spring or gas ram?

to be fair for 800 quid you could get a good secondhand set up with bottle,scope,mounts, silencer,bipod, the whole kit to get you going, air rifles are a personal choice and no 2 people are the same.... good luck mate in whatever you choose
ArethusaF38

Post by ArethusaF38 »

I have a Gamo Hunter 440 .22 calibre. It's full-sized, relatively heavy at 3 kg and with a bit of a kick (and quite loud - a silencer would have been good), delivers 1000 ft/s and from target practice I have found it to be quite accurate (making allowances for my shooting, of course *cough*). I purposely bought a spring action only as if/when the SHTF CO2 charged rifles will be useless once the gas runs out. The scope is a 4X32 Hawke Sport HD.

Modestly priced at around £160, it has pretty good reviews and there are videos of it being fired on Youtube, but the trigger mechanism needs an upgrade. Here's a link for Gamo spring air-rifles:

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Gamo- ... ifles.html
"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" ~ Emiliano Zapata.
langy

Post by langy »

hi mate, sorrry i see this thread is over a month old now but just came across it while looking through here... ive been shooting air rifles for years now for hunting, personally my favorite rifle is my bsa r10 which has been blueprinted by john bowket (if you look on an air rifle forum you can probly get one second hand for a decent price then spend a bit more getting it blueprinted)

another option which is much cheaper is the smk xs78, they come weak and to be honest not very great, but they are really easy to tune yourself and can get them up to the 12 ft/lb legal limit easily and they can shoot just as accurate as most other guns with the right tuning. i think these can be picked up for around 95 quid new.

although from a prepper point of view a springer would probly be the best option, most people love their weihrach springers but i personally like my bsa lightning xl as its a really light rifle.
Madsquad

Post by Madsquad »

thanks for the replies guys been away for a bit i will look it to the info thanks again