What kind of stove...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
old git

Re: What kind of stove...

Post by old git »

Just picked up a gas stove from B&M £8.99. Cheaper than online.
Megiddo

Post by Megiddo »

I've just bought a Coleman sporter dual fuel stove - as I always have some petrol as I have a motorbike. Fired it up once and was very impressed with its heat output and burntime.

I've also just invested in a small woodburning stove called a 'Frontier Stove' for longer periods of fuel shortage (as I live close to a woods). That is an amazing source of heat for cooking.
AREA 1
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Old Git: What kind did you get?

Megiddo: I've got the Coleman multi-fuel (I have to swap over one part to go from paraffin to petrol/Coleman fuel or VV), where you get yours and what did they rush you for it?
Also, could you post a link to the woodburner?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Megiddo

Post by Megiddo »

FC : I paid £67 for the 533 stove, which I didn't mind as all the research I'd done said the thing was pretty much bombproof. In fact I was so impressed with it I've bought another , secondhand , from eBay for £40.

Here's a link for the frontier stove which is bloody excellent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frontier-1001-S ... B004DD0S8O

It is very well made and though not cheap, very good value IMHO. If you shop around you can find it for this price but with a free, purpose made, hold all for it.

Hope this helps.

ATB
AREA 1
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

If we are talking about those stoves that look like a single gas ring with the cartridge in the unit, be careful with them and take the cartridge out when not in use, my wife called me when I was out shopping last month having knocked one over I had left on it's side and the gas escaped causing a bit of a panic, They put it outside and ventilated the place without operating any switches and all was well, but the moral of the story is be careful with LPGs and flamable liquids full stop, and also bear in mind, candles are still a major cause of fire in this country and outdoor stoves aren't meant for inside the house any more than they are for inside the tent.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Plymtom wrote:If we are talking about those stoves that look like a single gas ring with the cartridge in the unit, be careful with them and take the cartridge out when not in use, my wife called me when I was out shopping last month having knocked one over I had left on it's side and the gas escaped causing a bit of a panic, They put it outside and ventilated the place without operating any switches and all was well, but the moral of the story is be careful with LPGs and flamable liquids full stop, and also bear in mind, candles are still a major cause of fire in this country and outdoor stoves aren't meant for inside the house any more than they are for inside the tent.

For ventilation issues
Info off a plumber by trade and he looked up the regs etc. This is part of the regs he found at http://www.documentj.co.uk/Sections.asp ... =#s003-007

Diagram 33 Notes
The permanent ventialtion provisions listed in this table are additional to the openable elements or (for kitchens only) extract ventialtion in accordance with Approved Document F.
Divide the are given in mm2 by 100 to find the corresponding area in cm 2.
An internal space here means one which communicates with several other rooms or spaces. An example would be a hallway or landing.
For LPG fired space heaters conforming to BS EN 449: 1997, follow the guidance in BS 5440-2: 2000.
No permanently open vent is needed if the room or space has a door direct to outside.
Example: for a space heater in a lounge measuring 4m x 4m x 2.4m(=38.4m3), the applaince rated input should not exceed 38.4 x 0.045 = 1.73kW (net).Example: a hallway containing a space heater with a rated input of 7kW (net) should have a permanatly open vent with free area of: 10,000 + 2750 x (7 - 5.4) = 14, 400mm2>

And this is his interpretation of the regs for the type of thing you were talking about :-

"So a small window slightly open would be sufficient ventilation, an airbrick of 100mm X 100mm is 10,000mmsq. The unit in the link is 1.2Kw output...So plenty of spare ventilation is obtained from very little draught"
Cooking on a small gas stove can be done indoors, with regard to safety issues and a window or door ajar. Just be sensible about it! :D