Bug out method

Logistics and Transport
Maddosammo

Bug out method

Post by Maddosammo »

Has anyone thought about using a sledge or pulk like object with wheels, surely if it is used in the artic to move equipment around then it would be fairly efficient should you need to evac, plus they could be ish buoyant and be used as a makeshift boat for use of travel on canals and such.

Anyone else had that idea?
Sam

Area 9
Jon G

Re: Bug out method

Post by Jon G »

I had a similar(ish) idea floating around in my mind. I was thinking more about a sack-truck type device, robust and light in its construction, with a coupling allowing it to be attached behind a bicycle if necessary and with puncture proof wheels. Once at a bug out location it could be used to gather large logs/materials etc.
Area 12 - South Wales
'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Same kind of idea. Whether it would work or not is another thing.
Sam

Area 9
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

A hand Cart? yes one of our thoughts if we get closer to considering bug out as an option at all would be to get some of those, in that scenario we would be effectivley refugees looking for sanctuary, a last desperate hope.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Use dogs!
They has been usted for pulling carts and sledges since ages.
Use a sledge when there is snow and go for " dry mushing" on normal ground.
Check also for " Sacco Carts"
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

There was a youtube video floating around a few years ago of a chap who had made a "human trailer" basically took a military style webbing yoke and attached it to a sack trolley like device (Imagine the bottom of a sack trolley but instead of handles it went up in a triangle like design and attached to the yoke via a ball and socket type device)

He was able to carry around 100kg on it and the weight was over the wheels, and spread over his body, making him able to walk for hours with it. Due to the attachment it was articulated and was able to go off road with it.

Wish I could find that video.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I use one of these.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1583103

It folds flat and lives in the SUV with the big Stellite container filled with road preps, which it is intended to carry, on top of it.

I have never considered it a bug out kit. It is in the vehicle so I will have supplies if I have to abandon the rig and walk home from any distance.

After I switched to this concept due to age related problems that made a back pack unusable, I realized I could carry more gear with less effort.

It is even intended for off pavement use so ventures through the bush would be no problem.

Hooking it behind a bicycle would be only a minor project.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I really like the gear you linked to, mortblanc!

For something smaller but similar, that would definitely blend in on UK roads, whether bug out or bug in ... you know those shopping trolleys you see older ladies using? Like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID ... 012291.htm

I have one :shock: cos yes, I'm an older lady, with arthritis in all sorts of important bits. But when I was transporting 90 litre bags of bark chippings from the road to the back of my back garden, I took the shopping bag thing off and used the base as a cart, and it did it no problem. Those frames are very solidly built, wheels are no-puncture, it wouldn't carry anything like as much as mortblanc's, but people wouldn't look twice at it either.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

How about a Chinese wheelbarrow, used for quite some considerable time and said to be a very efficient way of moving things around?
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/12/ ... arrow.html
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I've seen a lot of people doing overland travels on cycles using the pull-behind sleds, the B.O.B and oxtail ones are good, and at one point a few years ago i made one to attach to the back of a cycle, used the angle aluminium from an old greenhouse, a few nuts/bolts/rivets, some old plywood and some bike wheels & tyres from the local tip.

It worked well, and if i had the need i could/would definitely build another.

As far as it being a flotation device, i'd be more inclined to make sure i carried an empty 20-litre jerry can with the lid tight, those things float really well! and can be used for fluids...

I got rid of it as it took up too much space for how often it was used, but at least the instructions/knowledge are still in my had should i need another.

I'm sure one could be designed that would fold flatter/more out of the way to make it store better though.