Top 10 Medicines

Medical and Healthcare
greebo

Re: Top 10 Medicines

Post by greebo »

Would iodine be of use?
My gran used liquid form for everything when I was growing up, I havnt seen it recently in asda or anything,
but *please bear with me* I saw on CSI last night a guy who was taking it to help abate radiation poisoning so im guessing it has many uses?
(it wasnt working great but he wasnt dead, and im aware csi is fiction but thought there may be an element of truth to it)
Moony

Post by Moony »

greebo wrote:Would iodine be of use?
My gran used liquid form for everything when I was growing up, I havnt seen it recently in asda or anything,
but *please bear with me* I saw on CSI last night a guy who was taking it to help abate radiation poisoning so im guessing it has many uses?
(it wasnt working great but he wasnt dead, and im aware csi is fiction but thought there may be an element of truth to it)
Medical Iodine is used to block the take-up of radioactive iodine isotopes that are released during nuclear events (power plant meltdown / explosions). Your thyroid gland will absorb the radioactive form, but if you dose up on 'safe' iodine this stops it happening and thus prevents you developing thyroid cancer (1 of the most likely outcomes of serious radiation poisoning). Typically the authorities will issue a dose (1 tablet/day for 10 days) should you be at risk, though you can of course add this to your medical preps if you don't trust the goverment to provide it to you. Taking this stuff can have side-effects, so you should read up on it before buying and not use it except in the highly unlikely event that you are subject to radioactive exposure.
I'm in Area 7 !
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

Duplicate post, unable to delete

Sorry
Last edited by Leo1 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

greebo wrote:I havnt seen it recently in asda or anything
As of October 26, 2009 the EU has banned the sale of iodine here in the UK
Moony wrote:Medical Iodine is used to block the take-up of radioactive iodine isotopes that are released during nuclear events (power plant meltdown / explosions). Your thyroid gland will absorb the radioactive form, but if you dose up on 'safe' iodine this stops it happening and thus prevents you developing thyroid cancer (1 of the most likely outcomes of serious radiation poisoning). Typically the authorities will issue a dose (1 tablet/day for 10 days) should you be at risk, though you can of course add this to your medical preps if you don't trust the goverment to provide it to you. Taking this stuff can have side-effects, so you should read up on it before buying and not use it except in the highly unlikely event that you are subject to radioactive exposure.
Potassium Iodide is what is given out. Thankfully you can still buy over the counter

Leo
Moony

Post by Moony »

Potassium Iodide is what is given out. Thankfully you can still buy over the counter

Leo
Thats the stuff ! http://www.amazon.co.uk/iOSAT-Potassium ... 1QR43AGLLU
I'm in Area 7 !
hillingdonpete

Post by hillingdonpete »

iodine is still sold in the UK
i brought 8 X 25 ml bottles about 2 months ago
Quod in omni vita facimus in aeternum resonat
maryb

Post by maryb »

Has anyone mentioned arnica? That, together with tea tree oil and witchhazel, may not be 'medicines' as such but they work.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

hillingdonpete wrote:iodine is still sold in the UK
i brought 8 X 25 ml bottles about 2 months ago
You might well have, but under Regulation (EC) No 2032/2003, it's a no no.

Leo
Maddie_cat

Post by Maddie_cat »

Moony wrote:Medical Iodine is used to block the take-up of radioactive iodine isotopes that are released during nuclear events (power plant meltdown / explosions). Your thyroid gland will absorb the radioactive form, but if you dose up on 'safe' iodine this stops it happening and thus prevents you developing thyroid cancer (1 of the most likely outcomes of serious radiation poisoning).
Presumably then, if you don't have a thyroid, it won't affect you?

I had thyroid cancer when I was in my early twenties so had it whipped out :roll:
I'm in Area 1
Moony

Post by Moony »

Maddie_cat wrote: Presumably then, if you don't have a thyroid, it won't affect you?

I had thyroid cancer when I was in my early twenties so had it whipped out :roll:
Well the particular product I linked would not be of any good of you and this particular effect of radiation poisoning would not effect you either. Silver linings and all that !
I'm in Area 7 !