Prepper -'lite' or full on survivalist

How are you preparing
PreppingPingu

Re: Prepper -'lite' or full on survivalist

Post by PreppingPingu »

Top end of Prepper-lite here too. We have a few things/skills that would tip us over in to prepper but then again plenty that keep us firmly in the prepper-lite category.

I am lacking the skills to field dress and butcher an animal even though we have the means to hunt, and to be fair, very limited practice in that area. Besides as folk have said in previous threads, in an over populated area such as the south of England, I am sure that if there was a breakdown of rule, law and order after an event- there will be plenty who would have killed everything locally and then probably made themselves sick and worse in the process! Our water situation isn't good either. I do have plenty of chlorine tabs and some thin bleach and a few water butts, as well as various means to boil water, but good catchment of said water is another issue. Also if in the summer, that water will have been sitting in the sun for all manner of nasties to replicate. My water butts won't last long if rain is not forthcoming and I only have about 3 days bottled water stored.

So yes, it is mainly grab bags for evacuation to gov centres/hotels etc, means to light fire for cooking and warmth, basic first aid and store of regular meds, wood and a log burner at home in the case of no gas or electric, camping stoves and fire pits for outdoor cooking and a reasonable supply of tinned and dry food - enough for a couple of months at a push. My allotments is a distance from my house and therefore not protectable so that would be ransacked rather quickly and anyway, whose to say the timing of needing to reply on it would coincide with harvest? So yes prepper-lite here too!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

But we prepper-lites are still all way ahead of what the gov expects of it's citizens according to todays website.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

PreppingPingu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 pm Top end of Prepper-lite here too. We have a few things/skills that would tip us over in to prepper but then again plenty that keep us firmly in the prepper-lite category.

I am lacking the skills to field dress and butcher an animal even though we have the means to hunt, and to be fair, very limited practice in that area. Besides as folk have said in previous threads, in an over populated area such as the south of England, I am sure that if there was a breakdown of rule, law and order after an event- there will be plenty who would have killed everything locally and then probably made themselves sick and worse in the process! Our water situation isn't good either. I do have plenty of chlorine tabs and some thin bleach and a few water butts, as well as various means to boil water, but good catchment of said water is another issue. Also if in the summer, that water will have been sitting in the sun for all manner of nasties to replicate. My water butts won't last long if rain is not forthcoming and I only have about 3 days bottled water stored.

So yes, it is mainly grab bags for evacuation to gov centres/hotels etc, means to light fire for cooking and warmth, basic first aid and store of regular meds, wood and a log burner at home in the case of no gas or electric, camping stoves and fire pits for outdoor cooking and a reasonable supply of tinned and dry food - enough for a couple of months at a push. My allotments is a distance from my house and therefore not protectable so that would be ransacked rather quickly and anyway, whose to say the timing of needing to reply on it would coincide with harvest? So yes prepper-lite here too!
Can you store a few 5 or 10 litre containers of drinking water indoors? 5 litres go under my bed. 10 litres go at the foot of my bed, and on the bottom shelf of my shelving. I only put one on a shelf, at the end. I also have a few empty, ready to be filled if things look shakey with some warning. I swap the water out about once a year, and re-steralise. Keep covered with a bin bag to keep light out.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The headache is storing enough for 4 people. I have a couple of 5 litres tucked under the kitchen plinths. The food storage is under the bed already (& the foot of the wardrobe) and there is no floorspace in the tiny kitchen or bedrooms. I have a little under the bathroom sink too and a bit in the garden shed.
So as I said. Not dreadful, but I would like to have a bit more tucked away to cover the needs of 4 people.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

yes I have 15 litres of bottled water in the crawl space where my water tanks is accessed from our bedroom but 15 litres of drinking water won't last that long for cooking rice n pasta or drinking water for 3 peeps. But it is something! I can probably add a bit more to it as that space is strong enough for a water tank so a few extra 5l bottles won't hurt!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)