What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Peter wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:29 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:59 pm
Cars had a good clean inside and out before it's mot tomorrow (clean car looks well looked after) :lol: gave it a look over 2 weeks ago all looked good underneath after a good pressure washing to remove the accumulated winter filth .. brakes all cleaned and lubricated in the relevant places... Oil and filters all done had it out for a 20 mile blast tonight on the motorway to clear the the cat converter out only just gets warm on the 9 mile drive to work and 9 miles back .. lights checked today .. tyres have about 9- 8mm of tread on them so fingers crossed the man doesn't find any issues ...

This weekends projects if the car fails fix it :lol: .. if it passes allotment and beer :twisted:
With our small family car, 21 years old, until I had a new cat fitted last august I always had to do the motorway blast,
4000 - 4500 revs in 3rd gear 20 mile round trip and no problems with emissions.

It probably doesn't need it but it doesn't harm to get it hot and blow any crap out I remember when cats first came in and they were like dpfs are now on modern diesels a royal pita till they iron out all the issues :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

A mate of mine came to see me yesterday. He works for Severn Trent and told me that the forecast will be causing all the water companies to be careful of leaked piping. They are obviously concerned about the poorly people where the water has been contaminated. :( 17.000 houses in Devon caused that effect it would seem!

I’ve made sure that there is plenty of bottled water in the pantry. 5litre,2litre and 1 litre. It all has good ,loud and solid water date usage upon them too. Ironically as the valley floods later,if water is short in the domestic supply ( probably not) ,we would receive bottles from Severn Trent as I am now disabled! :lol: Well when they asked,I answered,as the chance of summat for nowt in an emergency appealed! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately in our Victorian farmhouse with its original brick and tile pantry is the only one of 8 that still exists. I am so glad that the old boy next door all those years ago told me it was a good idea! A few days after he left the new owner tore it out!
Anyhow,the pantry has lots of room,and over many years has always held 8 degrees C regardless of time of year.

My illness doesn’t allow me to do a lot now,but keeping the pantry full,organised and to date is something I can do! :D :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am A mate of mine came to see me yesterday. He works for Severn Trent and told me that the forecast will be causing all the water companies to be careful of leaked piping. They are obviously concerned about the poorly people where the water has been contaminated. :( 17.000 houses in Devon caused that effect it would seem!

I’ve made sure that there is plenty of bottled water in the pantry. 5litre,2litre and 1 litre. It all has good ,loud and solid water date usage upon them too. Ironically as the valley floods later,if water is short in the domestic supply ( probably not) ,we would receive bottles from Severn Trent as I am now disabled! :lol: Well when they asked,I answered,as the chance of summat for nowt in an emergency appealed! :lol: :lol:

Fortunately in our Victorian farmhouse with its original brick and tile pantry is the only one of 8 that still exists. I am so glad that the old boy next door all those years ago told me it was a good idea! A few days after he left the new owner tore it out!
Anyhow,the pantry has lots of room,and over many years has always held 8 degrees C regardless of time of year.

My illness doesn’t allow me to do a lot now,but keeping the pantry full,organised and to date is something I can do! :D :D
Did they cross link your application to the local electrical DNO and gas supplier?

Signed my parents up to it as being retired qualified them by northern power grid and it passed the details to water and gas boards...

Like you they are prepared well you should see my mum's tinned food collection it's massive one of the cupboards in the corner under both work tops :lol:
And rye cupboard above started pulling out the wall you should see the upgraded brackets I welded up :lol:

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Just seen on sky news website the government are setting up a new website to ..prepare .. People... have you got 3 days of tinned food and water in your house is the headline
Yes we have here .. my preps this week has been to assess the preps ..rotate the water ...and adjust to the medical and taste needs we have now
I had come from the supermarket when I overheard someone talking about this headline and she was saying she'd come to buy more stuff ..just in case ... thats the pasta shelves raided then again I suppose
I wonder how many will actually rush out and get more items
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:42 pm Just seen on sky news website the government are setting up a new website to ..prepare .. People... have you got 3 days of tinned food and water in your house is the headline
Yes we have here .. my preps this week has been to assess the preps ..rotate the water ...and adjust to the medical and taste needs we have now
I had come from the supermarket when I overheard someone talking about this headline and she was saying she'd come to buy more stuff ..just in case ... thats the pasta shelves raided then again I suppose
it's up and running - suitably tame as not to frighten anyone :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:42 pm I overheard someone talking about this headline and she was saying she'd come to buy more stuff ..just in case ... thats the pasta shelves raided then again I suppose
My Precious
320-Sheet.jpg
:mrgreen:

https://prepare.campaign.gov.uk/

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:55 am
jansman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:22 am A mate of mine came to see me yesterday. He works for Severn Trent and told me that the forecast will be causing all the water companies to be careful of leaked piping. They are obviously concerned about the poorly people where the water has been contaminated. :( 17.000 houses in Devon caused that effect it would seem!

Did they cross link your application to the local electrical DNO and gas supplier?

Signed my parents up to it as being retired qualified them by northern power grid and it passed the details to water and gas boards...

Like you they are prepared well you should see my mum's tinned food collection it's massive one of the cupboards in the corner under both work tops :lol:
And rye cupboard above started pulling out the wall you should see the upgraded brackets I welded up :lol:

Yes we are covered that way too o :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Meanwhile the Metro headline rather suggests you wait until a national crisis occurs before hitting the shops.....

"Eleven items you need to stock up on in a national crisis"

We could use a review of our water stocks - although I have no idea where I could put it but I think we would barely notice a 3 day outage.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GeeGee wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:42 pm Just seen on sky news website the government are setting up a new website to ..prepare .. People... have you got 3 days of tinned food and water in your house is the headline
They will always wait until the last minute won’t they? :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

JANSMAN won't they just ..and YORKSHIRE ANDY im sure some of them should still be using the stash they bought during covid :)

Another prep this week is having house valued tomorrow and fingers crossed can get it on market
The hiding places we have in the house are so good that noone viewing will actually see the food stash water storage and all the torches ( thanks Andy ) batteries and wind up solar powered thingymajigs amongst more "stuff"
Its if we sell i don't know weather to leave it all for someone to find and or possibly unintentionally fall through into places unseen at first sight ...
Maybe leave a plastic skeleton hanging behind the wall 😂 where its hollowed out full length ...