New here

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
survivalmja

New here

Post by survivalmja »

Hiya

I see the world going to hell, gotta do something for my family.

Just hope im not to late
pseudonym

Re: New here

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Firstly you are not too late. The fact that you have recognised there is a problem has put you ahead of the curve.

Secondly don't Panic.

As for the rest, start with the simple and easy things....water and food (eat what you store, store what you eat).

Buy an extra couple of tins, packs of pasta/rice each shop it'll add up.

Once again, don't panic.

Most on here don't have bug out bags, we have hotel/hospital bags because the chances of a flood or house fire are greater than a volcano or Atom Bomb going off.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome.
Yes the world's going to hell and some levels of disaster we can never be fully prepped for, such as nuclear strikes.
But if you steadily build up some reserves and facilities to get over power outages, you can brace for minor irritations like covid or inflation hikes, or some service outages. Don't panic. Prepping starts with good housekeeping.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! The above posters have given you great advice. There are two things I'd add:
- if you buy anything at all (a torch, a manual sewing machine, whatever) practice on it before you buy anything else. I had some solar lights sitting in my wardrobe for six months before I tried to charge them, and if it wasn't for this forum, I'd have had to throw them away. A forum member helped me out step by step.
- fitness. If you're a parent responsible for your offspring (you mention family, that's all) your physical strength will be important too: the effort of chopping up logs for firewood, for instance. You can make it fun family things, with a bit more intensity at the end for you, and that will work on lots of levels.

Good luck!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Welcome. Speaking of panic, I was just reading this excellent article
How to survive a disaster
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2015 ... a-disaster

Article cites a fire that killled 55 on the runway at Manchester Airport in 1985. Biggest killer is inaction. It's a sort of passive panic. 75% of people fail to take action. 10% freak out. 15% are calm and take action, probably because they PREPARED, listened to the drill etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 pm Welcome. Speaking of panic, I was just reading this excellent article

Article cites a fire that killled 55 on the runway at Manchester Airport in 1985. Biggest killer is inaction. It's a sort of passive panic. 75% of people fail to take action. 10% freak out. 15% are calm and take action, probably because they PREPARED, listened to the drill etc.

You'll probably find today 75% stood in the danger area live streaming or filming for Facebook likes as the blast / fire melts their face... :|
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 pm Welcome. Speaking of panic, I was just reading this excellent article

That's a good principle. I was at Clapham Junction one time, having got onto a train that had just pulled in, I was going home. The doors didn't close, and after a while I started smelling smoke. Kept on smelling it. It was a busy summer train, lots of kids, lots of people standing, and I felt there was enough danger to justify getting off and waiting for the next one, so I did that, and sat on a bench nearby waiting. A few minutes later, everyone was ordered off the train - that was a win for safety, and shows me I was justified in getting off when I did. I was a bit ahead of the curve in taking my own decision.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

There are lots of similar examples from the Twin Towers to Grenfell. Being able to make a good & rapid decision and see it through seems to be key to survival. Waiting for someone else to take the lead seems to sometimes be deadly.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

GillyBee wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:24 pm There are lots of similar examples from the Twin Towers to Grenfell. Being able to make a good & rapid decision and see it through seems to be key to survival. Waiting for someone else to take the lead seems to sometimes be deadly.
Yep, twin towers is cited in the article and the study cited in that. Average time a survivor waited after initial impact was 6 minutes, some up to half an hour. Obviously a lot of people did not survive. Grenfell, yeah, I remember, they had been told to stay, but I guess this statistic also applies.
Arzosah wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 pm

That's a good principle. I was at Clapham Junction one time, having got onto a train that had just pulled in, I was going home. The doors didn't close, and after a while I started smelling smoke. Kept on smelling it. It was a busy summer train, lots of kids, lots of people standing, and I felt there was enough danger to justify getting off and waiting for the next one, so I did that, and sat on a bench nearby waiting. A few minutes later, everyone was ordered off the train - that was a win for safety, and shows me I was justified in getting off when I did. I was a bit ahead of the curve in taking my own decision.
Good move. Glad everyone got off. I remember having to evacuate a tower block at uni. I was on watch. Some students had been setting the alarms off and students were ignoring them. If a room was locked, I had to unlock it and tell them to get out. Not the same of course, but similar outcome.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:46 pm

You'll probably find today 75% stood in the danger area live streaming or filming for Facebook likes as the blast / fire melts their face... :|
There is that, as well.