What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by pseudonym »

More MRE pouches (£2) and some Bolero drink sachets(23p)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Having a trip out today into town. Probably Home Bargains! :lol: :lol: Now the pantry is reorganised the shelves stay very organised and full. Today ,later, we have a delivery and there’s frozen items too. Bread particularly. As and when I end in hospital- frequently- it means Mrs J has organised meals and no excuse to avoid eating! In fact I have a very nice vegetarian meal to package ,label and add to the chest freezer. How things have changed!
Whilst out today I’ll pick up a couple more chargers too. Being the tight g*t I am ,now Spring is here,so battery,phone I use a combination of solar and chargers. Saves electricity- not a lot,but it does. We use a lot of batteries particularly within our lighting system and solar costs nowt. Save the throwaway batteries for Winter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 am Having a trip out today into town. Probably Home Bargains! :lol: :lol:
We almost live in HB & B&M :) Saddos that we are. :)
We use a lot of batteries particularly within our lighting system and solar costs nowt. Save the throwaway batteries for Winter.
That got me thinking..... Batteries often touted as a prep essential. Some of us here have cases full of them. Who amongst us buys/uses disposable ones and why? I can't recall the last time I bought a disposable battery and the only ones we have came with devices. We don't even have many rechargeables. Just for phones, remotes, keyboards, smoke alarms and torches.

Anyways: What preps this week?.....

Finally a break in the weather to get to the allotment and dig and sow in the raised beds. Allotment neighbour suggested sitting bare bottomed on the soil to check the temperature for sowing spuds. I won't follow his suggestion. :lol:

Been buying an assortment of cans of minced beef and onions to run comparisons on. Report to follow. My stock of tinned meat products was looking too low. We've been using up old stock of Princes and have rather taken a liking to it, but you all know I'm too tight to buy such a premium brand :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I don't buy anything that needs a battery unless it's rechargeable. Total waste of time and money.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:27 am Having a trip out today into town. Probably Home Bargains! :lol: :lol:
Lovely! Enjoy.
Whilst out today I’ll pick up a couple more chargers too. Being the tight g*t I am ,now Spring is here,so battery,phone I use a combination of solar and chargers. Saves electricity- not a lot,but it does. We use a lot of batteries particularly within our lighting system and solar costs nowt. Save the throwaway batteries for Winter.
I bought a properly sized solar panel last month, this would be a good idea for me to do too.

I *do* have some throwaway batteries, but I got them by accident, they were an Amazon substitution :twisted: I meant to return them and get a refund, but I never got round to it, so I've got them now :twisted:

My big prep at the end of last week was emptying out my big food cupboard, full of tinned food - very rare that I've done that, and I've found more than a dozen tins and jars that are out of date - okay to eat, but nothing I want to store for any longer. I'm also throwing out quite a few cheap food offers I got online - garlic mayonnaise in particular 🤢 it makes me throw up :cry: it's not worth the space.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am
We almost live in HB & B&M :) Saddos that we are. :)
We use a lot of batteries particularly within our lighting system and solar costs nowt. Save the throwaway batteries for Winter.
That got me thinking..... Batteries often touted as a prep essential. Some of us here have cases full of them. Who amongst us buys/uses disposable ones and why? I can't recall the last time I bought a disposable battery and the only ones we have came with devices. We don't even have many rechargeables. Just for phones, remotes, keyboards, smoke alarms and torches.

Anyways: What preps this week?.....

Finally a break in the weather to get to the allotment and dig and sow in the raised beds. Allotment neighbour suggested sitting bare bottomed on the soil to check the temperature for sowing spuds. I won't follow his suggestion. :lol:

Been buying an assortment of cans of minced beef and onions to run comparisons on. Report to follow. My stock of tinned meat products was looking too low. We've been using up old stock of Princes and have rather taken a liking to it, but you all know I'm too tight to buy such a premium brand :)
Disposable ones work when you can’t recharge if there’s a serious power cut! Always got to have a backup.

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

One-shot batteries in the smoke detectors, rechargeable 9v's are expensive for something I only need to change once a year.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am
Disposable ones work when you can’t recharge if there’s a serious power cut! Always got to have a backup.
That and most are 1.2v Vs alkaline 1.5v some electronic bits and bats don't like the lower voltage
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Musical equipment doesnt like rechargeables as the voltage is a bit low. And the importance of sanity in a family musician cannot be over rated. I also note that the rechargeables don't seem to hold their charge as well as disposables, making for more work recharging some of my emergency lights.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s a ‘bit of both’ isn’t it? When I look at the electronic side,as Yorkshire Andy described,it’s not an issue for us. A bit like ForgeCorvus; smoke alarms and the like. Torches and lanterns to replace lighting in an emergency,and particularly the wicked staircase and landing where we have charged approach lights on into bathroom . It takes away the brutality of the mains light in the night!

Robert Frost.

Me.