Gas canisters

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Moorland Prepper

Gas canisters

Post by Moorland Prepper »

I've had some of these for four years or so:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canisters-Cani ... hdGY&psc=1

Will they still be OK or do I need to replace them?

Thanks
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Gas canisters

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

They should be ok providing they are not rusting
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Out of interest where does one dispose of cannisters if they are rusting? Found some right at the back of our camping storage, I seem to recall inheriting them from someone. I am obviously not going to risk using them or disposing of them with the household waste. Will a recycling centre accept them do you think?
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 pm Out of interest where does one dispose of cannisters if they are rusting? Found some right at the back of our camping storage, I seem to recall inheriting them from someone. I am obviously not going to risk using them or disposing of them with the household waste. Will a recycling centre accept them do you think?
Ours has a gas cylinder locker for cylinders

jansman

Post by jansman »

I have DOZENS wrapped in plastic ( originally) in fireproof boxes in a cool outbuilding ( and fire safe) . 12 years old and perfect. In fact I’ve been reminding my wife how to cook-in an emergency with the same,and the methylated spirit cooker too. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Moorland Prepper

Thanks everyone.

They look fine and are stored in a heated outhouse.
korolev

Post by korolev »

When we had our little fire one of the firemen ran through a checklist to give us any advice; we were ok on all of it and when I mentioned I had a few cans of gas for the bistro stove in my workshop he said that wasn't a problem.

If they were looking a bit iffy I'd take them to the household waste recycling site (aka "the tip") where they have facilities to dispose of them.
Moorland Prepper

jansman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:34 am I have DOZENS wrapped in plastic ( originally) in fireproof boxes in a cool outbuilding ( and fire safe) . 12 years old and perfect. In fact I’ve been reminding my wife how to cook-in an emergency with the same,and the methylated spirit cooker too. ;)
The fireproof boxes idea looks interesting. Could you recommend any? I've had a look on Amazon and they just bring up fireproof safes>
jansman

Post by jansman »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:34 am I have DOZENS wrapped in plastic ( originally) in fireproof boxes in a cool outbuilding ( and fire safe) . 12 years old and perfect. In fact I’ve been reminding my wife how to cook-in an emergency with the same,and the methylated spirit cooker too. ;)
The fireproof boxes idea looks interesting. Could you recommend any? I've had a look on Amazon and they just bring up fireproof safes>
I’m using age old ammo boxes! However they are on shelves in brick outbuilding in the constant darkness and cool .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 pm
Remember LPG is heavier than air there's a reason why caravans and holidays homes have drop vents at floor level to stop the gas pooling ..

A decent metal chest or box / ammo case ideally vented low down in a well ventilated shed / outbuildings fire is one thing g you don't want an explosive build up of leaked gas

Propane iirc is illegal to store within a dwelling or attached outbuilding /garage butane within a dwelling is 30kg iirc (less explosive than propane)