What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Medusa »

GeeGee it sounds like you are doing amazingly well, not too much longer until you are back up and running hopefully :D
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:49 pm Been out shopping to top up the preps ..just got the car back the suspension went with a almighty bang scared the absolute daylights out of me ! The torch I bought hubby for Xmas that he laughed at to go with the other 25 or so was brilliant as he was lying on the road under car trying to find out what happened can never have too many torches I believe someone says here 😂 .. I should have a working kitchen and flooring ( plaster on ceiling drying out ) ..by Friday night carpet in living room stairs and lino and new sink in bathroom
Still cooking on old camping stove and using the air fryer
Have used almost all the food preps I stored only one fail with the cheese sauce for pasta which was dehydrated and the cat wouldn't even look at it ..so not bad wont use that one again it wasn't particularly nice.. used the water storage I had so no wastage there and topped it up again today
Have warmed beans tomatoes..soup ..tinned mince etc on the wood burner ... thank you telephone pole 😂
The freezing temps haven't helped... trying to keep Mr GG warm and fed ..the summer duvet i put away went on top of the winter one for extra warmth the hot water bottles have been out ..the house has been cold with no flooring or ceiling or anything..but we've managed ...
Weve had a month almost of no kitchen living room and bathroom basin ..hes had a luxury shave today as he called it rather than over a bowl with a mirror propped up on the loo !
Will go out tomorrow top up gas canisters for the small gas burner .. batteries...for the lanterns and torches.. painkillers as they all got soaked in cupboard....
We havent keeled over yet ........
See you can NEVER have too many torches :lol:

For batteries I'd look at
https://www.batterystation.co.uk/

I usually go for the energiser Industrial

£2.69 for 10xAA Way cheaper than most shops including Lidl as their own brand are that price for 8 now ...

And gas if you've not got a boyes local

https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/go- ... ge-4-pack/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:49 pm Been out shopping to top up the preps ..just got the car back the suspension went with a almighty bang scared the absolute daylights out of me ! The torch I bought hubby for Xmas that he laughed at to go with the other 25 or so was brilliant as he was lying on the road under car trying to find out what happened can never have too many torches I believe someone says here 😂 .. I should have a working kitchen and flooring ( plaster on ceiling drying out ) ..by Friday night carpet in living room stairs and lino and new sink in bathroom
Still cooking on old camping stove and using the air fryer
Have used almost all the food preps I stored only one fail with the cheese sauce for pasta which was dehydrated and the cat wouldn't even look at it ..so not bad wont use that one again it wasn't particularly nice.. used the water storage I had so no wastage there and topped it up again today
Have warmed beans tomatoes..soup ..tinned mince etc on the wood burner ... thank you telephone pole 😂
The freezing temps haven't helped... trying to keep Mr GG warm and fed ..the summer duvet i put away went on top of the winter one for extra warmth the hot water bottles have been out ..the house has been cold with no flooring or ceiling or anything..but we've managed ...
Weve had a month almost of no kitchen living room and bathroom basin ..hes had a luxury shave today as he called it rather than over a bowl with a mirror propped up on the loo !
Will go out tomorrow top up gas canisters for the small gas burner .. batteries...for the lanterns and torches.. painkillers as they all got soaked in cupboard....
We havent keeled over yet ........
You've been cold with no flooring or ceiling .... the understatement in that is absolutely amazing, GeeGee - and now for you car to go bang as well? It would sound a bit over the top in a work of fiction! I'm so glad you got that telegraph pole, nice accessible fuel :lol:

Sleep well tonight.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

If I published it as true Arzosah I'd get in trouble for lying 😂
Kitchen finished today carpet man coming no doubt a little later as its just pure ice out there
Car is old like I feel! Hoping it lasts one more year then will have to invest ..it owes us nothing got more miles on it than a taxi been a great car but its ready to keel over we kept up to the services and repairs over the years and it was decent enough to go bang near the house so not far to walk
I shall go put the salt down .the stuff I grabbed last Feb in the sale ..plenty enough to see us through this winter also ...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Had a survey done yesterday for getting my loft boarded, reposition hatch, safety rail, slide down ladders, and 4ft light. Booked it immediately after he'd gone. They suspend a frame off the purlins, only putting weight below on the internal wall in the middle. This way also allows space for insulation, with a gap at the top, and edges, for air flow. Company is UK Loft Boarding. You have to go purlin to purlin in an old house, but I could choose how far to go the other way. I chose the smaller option, 15 ft x 9ft. Basically it's all the loft except the very low bits and about 4ft on one side. They have all sorts of optional extras like a wooden ladder you can add on the website before you book it. The 4ft lamp was a £40 upgrade from the basic one.

Did an analysis of my gas use vs average temperature for Dec/Jan this year and last, and made a little table showing average, high and low gas use for every temperature. This was achieved by plotting results on a graph to get three tend lines. Now that's done I can easily see if I use more or less than average for the temperature each day. Graph, table and spreadsheet all done in the basic free Apple apps. In the speadsheet I record temperature, kWh, £ etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 am Had a survey done yesterday for getting my loft boarded, reposition hatch, safety rail, slide down ladders, and 4ft light. Booked it immediately after he'd gone. They suspend a frame off the purlins, only putting weight below on the internal wall in the middle. This way also allows space for insulation, with a gap at the top, and edges, for air flow. Company is UK Loft Boarding. You have to go purlin to purlin in an old house, but I could choose how far to go the other way. I chose the smaller option, 15 ft x 9ft. Basically it's all the loft except the very low bits and about 4ft on one side. They have all sorts of optional extras like a wooden ladder you can add on the website before you book it. The 4ft lamp was a £40 upgrade from the basic one.

Did an analysis of my gas use vs average temperature for Dec/Jan this year and last, and made a little table showing average, high and low gas use for every temperature. This was achieved by plotting results on a graph to get three tend lines. Now that's done I can easily see if I use more or less than average for the temperature each day. Graph, table and spreadsheet all done in the basic free Apple apps. In the speadsheet I record temperature, kWh, £ etc.
£40 upcharge for a 4' light they are trying to pull your pants down complete 5'led waterproof batten is £30 that way if the roof leaks or you get condensation strike it's safe
Screenshot_20240118-111945.png
I'd have a quiet word with the ones on the tools pay for your basic light then provided chocolate cake and tea and produce the light you bought :lol:

My dad seems to be the master of tradesmen bacon roll in the morning
Cooler of cold pop (Lidl lemonade or similar if it's hot)

Warm drinks in the cold

And Friday night some cold 3% stubbies of lager as they sweep up they bend over backwards :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

In Liverpool, a job for the guys with the tools used to be known as a foreigner :)

Proper loft ladder ... blissful, I had one in my previous house, loved it, very strong, very secure. I had to get bolts installed on the loft hatch, it was on top of a hill, and used to blow open - if it did as a person was passing, they'd be dead, don't know how the previous owners coped, but I didn't want to :D
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:21 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 am Had a survey done yesterday for getting my loft boarded, reposition hatch, safety rail, slide down ladders, and 4ft light. Booked it immediately after he'd gone. They suspend a frame off the purlins, only putting weight below on the internal wall in the middle. This way also allows space for insulation, with a gap at the top, and edges, for air flow. Company is UK Loft Boarding. You have to go purlin to purlin in an old house, but I could choose how far to go the other way. I chose the smaller option, 15 ft x 9ft. Basically it's all the loft except the very low bits and about 4ft on one side. They have all sorts of optional extras like a wooden ladder you can add on the website before you book it. The 4ft lamp was a £40 upgrade from the basic one.

£40 upcharge for a 4' light they are trying to pull your pants down complete 5'led waterproof batten is £30 that way if the roof leaks or you get condensation strike it's safe
Screenshot_20240118-111945.png

I'd have a quiet word with the ones on the tools pay for your basic light then provided chocolate cake and tea and produce the light you bought :lol:

My dad seems to be the master of tradesmen bacon roll in the morning
Cooler of cold pop (Lidl lemonade or similar if it's hot)

Warm drinks in the cold

And Friday night some cold 3% stubbies of lager as they sweep up they bend over backwards :lol:
Thanks, good idea, but I don't want to mess with it at the moment. If I get any condensation issues and it's not waterproof I'll change it. Hopefully they will use waterproof ones. It's a reputable national company. What's the worst that could happen if it got wet and I turned it on? My prep room light had water running down the ceiling rose, cable, and bulb when I had those cowboys here! I left it a few weeks, and it flickered a few times, then it was ok. If I want to change it is it just like changing a light bulb? I don't have any strip lights. This one just says it's an LED.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:16 pm In Liverpool, a job for the guys with the tools used to be known as a foreigner :)

Proper loft ladder ... blissful, I had one in my previous house, loved it, very strong, very secure. I had to get bolts installed on the loft hatch, it was on top of a hill, and used to blow open - if it did as a person was passing, they'd be dead, don't know how the previous owners coped, but I didn't want to :D
Yeah we called them that at work.
Hopefully they will fit it properly!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:17 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:16 pm In Liverpool, a job for the guys with the tools used to be known as a foreigner :)
Yeah we called them that at work.
They don't have a name for it down south here :lol: