Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:09 am I suspect that there will be enough blight lurking anyway on an allotment site that it won't make a lot of difference either way. But you may feel happier if you get a cold winter to know it is helping to kill the flipping stuff off.
Just got back from the allotment. Two tomato plants in the open, side by side. One a MoneyMaker and one a 'blight resistant' Crimson Crush. Both equal amount of green tomatoes. The Moneymaker ravaged by blight The Crimson Crush unharmed!!!!
I've been lucky that my adjacent spuds escaped and got harvested before that hit.

Anyhow, I have some more requests for advice. First I'll set the scene.....

Bed area 15sq m barely touched by me this year. The soil is nice loam, but it was covered by tall weeds and a fair amount of marestail. Just one or two dandelions. No brambles. The weeds were little pink beads of flowers and some had gone to feathery seed, so I was probably unpopular. In the interest of bare minimal effort to meet cultivation targets, today I cultivated it as follows....
Ran over it spiking it and loosening it with a fork
Tugged and teased off weed topgrowth by hand attempting to take roots. All weeds into a bulk bag for taking offsite.
Raked and roughly hand weeded the big bits of greenness
Half heartedly hand pulled any black bits of marestail roots.
Attacked it with an azada, again half heartedly removing marestail and obvious weeds.

To give perspective, I spent just under 3 hours on 15 sq m. The ground was then bumpy as hell and loose.
A very quick rake over and half hearted raking. Left very roughly level and not exactly a fine tilth.
Sowed with mustard seed manure crop and roughly raked in with a lawn rake.

Note the number of times I said half hearted. That's the clue to my questions. :)

Now...... Jansman can answer first. Should I have made much more effort to do a spanking job, with deep digging, riddles and hands and knees or does he commend my 'efficiency' and minimalist approach?
Next. How the devil do I tend the manure crop of mustard since I can hardly hoe it?
Will I have to wade through it to keep plucking marestail or will the marestail be pretty dormant now? If I do wade into the bed, will that really hurt the mustard crop?
Will I regret not scrupulously levelling the site?
I expect to leave the mustard crop for too long so it may get as far as going to seed. Will that be too wrong of me? When do I get to dig it in and do I do weeding at the same time??
I have 3 more beds to do similar to. One is tarped over and not too weedy and one is weedy, but contains my strawberry plants. Should I try to manure crop them all, with the same rough and 'efficient' approach, or would I be better just spreading a bit of old horse manure on top and covering them over(not the strawberries, obviously)?
What else could I have done better, especially in light of trying to suppress the marestail? I really don't want to be a perfect attendant to detail. I just want to achieve a fair crop for a fair amount of effort.
I'm not proposing to grow anything much until next spring.

I hope that made sense. and that I haven't gone down to far in your estimation.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:10 pm
GillyBee wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:09 am I suspect that there will be enough blight lurking anyway on an allotment site that it won't make a lot of difference either way. But you may feel happier if you get a cold winter to know it is helping to kill the flipping stuff off.
Just got back from the allotment. Two tomato plants in the open, side by side. One a MoneyMaker and one a 'blight resistant' Crimson Crush. Both equal amount of green tomatoes. The Moneymaker ravaged by blight The Crimson Crush unharmed!!!!
I've been lucky that my adjacent spuds escaped and got harvested before that hit.

Anyhow, I have some more requests for advice. First I'll set the scene.....

Bed area 15sq m barely touched by me this year. The soil is nice loam, but it was covered by tall weeds and a fair amount of marestail. Just one or two dandelions. No brambles. The weeds were little pink beads of flowers and some had gone to feathery seed, so I was probably unpopular. In the interest of bare minimal effort to meet cultivation targets, today I cultivated it as follows....
Ran over it spiking it and loosening it with a fork
Tugged and teased off weed topgrowth by hand attempting to take roots. All weeds into a bulk bag for taking offsite.
Raked and roughly hand weeded the big bits of greenness
Half heartedly hand pulled any black bits of marestail roots.
Attacked it with an azada, again half heartedly removing marestail and obvious weeds.

To give perspective, I spent just under 3 hours on 15 sq m. The ground was then bumpy as hell and loose.
A very quick rake over and half hearted raking. Left very roughly level and not exactly a fine tilth.

Note the number of times I said half hearted. That's the clue to my questions. :)

Now...... Jansman can answer first. Should I have made much more effort to do a spanking job, with deep digging, riddles and hands and knees or does he commend my 'efficiency' and minimalist approach?
Next. How the devil do I tend the manure crop of mustard since I can hardly hoe it?
Will I have to wade through it to keep plucking marestail or will the marestail be pretty dormant now? If I do wade into the bed, will that really hurt the mustard crop?
I expect to leave the mustard crop for too long so it may get as far as going to seed. Will that be too wrong of me? When do I get to dig it in and do I do weeding at the same time??
I have 3 more beds to do similar to. One is tarped over and not too weedy and one is weedy, but contains my strawberry plants. Should I try to manure crop them all, with the same rough and 'efficient' approach, or would I be better just spreading a bit of old horse manure on top and covering them over(not the strawberries, obviously)?
What else could I have done better, especially in light of trying to suppress the marestail? I really don't want to be a perfect attendant to detail. I just want to achieve a fair crop for a fair amount of effort.

No,you weren’t half hearted at all. You have achieved your goal,and you will be going over it again before sowing or planting. Why waste energy?
Mustard. Take out the weeds you can see,when you see them. Dig in the mustard before it goes to seed. Boom! Job sorted.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:23 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:10 pm Anyhow, I have some more requests for advice. First I'll set the scene.....

No,you weren’t half hearted at all. You have achieved your goal,and you will be going over it again before sowing or planting. Why waste energy?
Mustard. Take out the weeds you can see,when you see them. Dig in the mustard before it goes to seed. Boom! Job sorted.
Cheers Jansman. I feel less guilty and more JansMan Approved now.
I'll continue to treat the food growing as an exercise in efficiency rather than a masochistic urge to win prizes for most achey back
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:38 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:23 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:10 pm Anyhow, I have some more requests for advice. First I'll set the scene.....

Cheers Jansman. I feel less guilty and more JansMan Approved now.
I'll continue to treat the food growing as an exercise in efficiency rather than a masochistic urge to win prizes for most achey back
It took me years to get *lazy* in my garden. Ironically the production is generally better too. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Help. I need a pep talk about my Raspberries.

This is embarrassing, so please be gentle.

A couple of weeks back, I harvested about a mugful of raspberries flom the plot. They were mostly almost ripe enough to drop off the bush. I rinsed and drained them and left them on the worktop.
Next day, a teensy green caterpillar was strolling across the top, about 4mm long. In a tizzy, I binned the lot.

Sorry to be a wus!

Well, today, I harvested about another mugful, which I brought home stalks and all. I destalked them, plucked off any really soft bits and rinsed them. Along the way, I saw and removed three 'green shield bugs' I'd removed a couple of brown similar bugs as I was harvesting. Also removed a few small critters almost too small to see.

But I'm squeamish. I can deal with Taters grown in horse sh17. but I'm spooked out by what's been procreating on my berries and what critters lay within.

So. A) How do I get rid of the unwanted 'protein'
and
B) How shall I store or use these berries? Just a mugfull, but I'm too squeamish to eat them raw.

I'm thinking freeze them or nuke them to make the smallest pot of jam ever. :)

How ripe should they be when I harvest them?

Go on.... Tell me to grow up ! But I'm a townie and I don't expect my fruit to have legs and eyes.

jansman

Post by jansman »

Drop em in water to soak. 9 out of 10 creepy crawlers don’t like swimming!

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:27 pm Drop em in water to soak. 9 out of 10 creepy crawlers don’t like swimming!
Cheers.
I think I'm mostly a bit anal about maggots and caterpillars for some reason. I shrugged off spiders and those shield bugs.

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You're not a wuss!

I like shield bugs (and woodlice :) ). I loathe spiders, deeply, and I've let my blackcurrants go for a few years because the plant is covered in ants.

I feel your pain! But jansman has the right idea with the water.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I was taught to soak foraged blackberries in lightly salted water for an hour to deal with the creepy crawlies. Like you I am lucky to get a mugful of raspberries in one go as they don't like my chalky soil. I bung them into a bag in the freezer and keep topping this up. Once I have more than 250g I have enough for a small batch of jam.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:14 pm Help. I need a pep talk about my Raspberries.

Well, today, I harvested about another mugful

B) How shall I store or use these berries? Just a mugfull, but I'm too squeamish to eat them raw.

I'm thinking freeze them or nuke them to make the smallest pot of jam ever. :)
Raspberry report:

I'd rinsed and chilled and rinsed again and now I have used the berries. There were actually two generous mugfuls. They looked critter free but were starting to go a bit soft. I think I rinsed a lot of the flavour out

Muffins!
Add 2021 Flour, Sugar, butter, 3 eggs, a splash of vanilla flavouring and some baking powder..

21 Muffins made. Not enough vanilla and lacking some flavour, but hey ho. a 7/10 success.

Meanwhile, A shout out to this week's charity shop purchase: 'The Student Cookbook' Student type recipes rest well with my prepper store cupboard.