Survival truck ...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Survival truck ...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:59 pm Honda jazz driver here. Very grey man. Only downside is that it's natural habitat (garden centres) probably won't survive the apocalypse.
Park that near us the catalyst will be chopped off before you even stop they have them off for fun round here!

Not cheap but cheaper than a new cat and associated damage the buggers cause

https://www.catlocks.co.uk/product-page ... 02-to-2008
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yeah, bit of a trade in their cats I believe. Miss that up here - it's more farmers quad bikes disappearing.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:12 pm Yeah, bit of a trade in their cats I believe. Miss that up here - it's more farmers quad bikes disappearing.
Yep and anything that's not nailed down cheap option is some red or yellow vht paint and paint it lowers the scrap price by all accounts some police forces offer free marking too which is a bit of a deterrent.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Evergog

Post by Evergog »

Vitamin c wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 am What would make a good survival vehicle , I would go for a grayman approach something that would blend in not create any attention.
A small to medium size vw van reliable plenty of others around for spares or repairs.
Transit van for same reasons for me. In obligatory white with a no tools left in van overnight sign on back of course
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Here's another.
"Among the more unique aspects are wing mirrors that can shoot pepper spray. Owners will be able to purchase bulletproof vests, helmets and gas masks along with the car."

https://www.dezeen.com/2023/01/30/rezva ... v-vehicle/
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

If things went seriously wrong Hollywood style I would expect a big rush to leave the city's much like the gridlocked roads we all witnessed when everyone and their dog was trying to leave the Ukraine capital.

You could end up stuck with all your bugg out stuff in a horrendous traffic jam...
Any plans for that.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:01 am If things went seriously wrong Hollywood style I would expect a big rush to leave the city's much like the gridlocked roads we all witnessed when everyone and their dog was trying to leave the Ukraine capital.

You could end up stuck with all your bugg out stuff in a horrendous traffic jam...
Any plans for that.
Exactly. And if vehicles break down, traffic might be stationary indefinitely. These SUVs obviously have some offroad capability, but that's not much use in a city, and even in the countryside they can't drive through walls and hedges.

So, if a massive evacuation was ordered, my guess is the main roads might become gridlocked. Even if you made it to a motorway, there might be thousands of people walking on it, and vehicles broken down.

Download festival had traffic jams so bad on the Wednesday it was taking cars 7 hours to cover 5 miles. The festival capacity is only 110,000, and a lot of people would have been turning up the next day, which is when the first bands play. There are about 3 or 4 routes in. Some people come by train and then shuttle bus. So we are only talking about a few thousand cars on each road.
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

a lot of the overlanders use old military trucks, esp. russian ones, will run on pretty much anything you put in the tank and are really basic. The 'supertruck' wouldn't last 2 mins, tyres would be hard to replace and what sort of fuel economy would you get? on top of the previously mentioned no space for anything. 4wd 'transit' would be ideal
Omega

Post by Omega »

Think this truck is not good for SHTF - if gangsters want to get you, then you well signalled they should bring something more powerful to blow you up; if there is a civil unrest, then military may either commander it from you or blow it up because they think you are the enemy, like currently happens in Ukraine where good SUVs were taken from public or get too much attention at checkpoints
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

"Among the more unique aspects are wing mirrors that can shoot pepper spray. Owners will be able to purchase bulletproof vests, helmets and gas masks along with the car."
And somebody will still open their door onto it in the asda car park