Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
steptoe

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:02 pm
steptoe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:10 pm Ok any ideas would be great as madam said can i do something with the chicken lol rather than just roast or stew lol i said right lady watch out the naked chef is in the house and well i will not tell you her words but some of it was if i find a curly hair in my dinner you will be sacked lol
Are you sure you don't want a savoury sausage mix?
Did you ever try my* recipe for Jeera** Chicken? It's neither hot nor spicy and very moreish. Dead simple, too.
viewtopic.php?p=222445#p222445
* Mr's Dinn's recipe
** Pronounced Zeera

For regular roast chicken, I just use a mix of onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper rubbed in with a blob of olive oil.
Hi jen not tried it but i will save the recipe lol i saved the kfc fake away but i struggle with kfc as i had food poisoning from it many years back we never had chciken for over 15 years , it was really bad my veins collapsed i ended collapsed in the toilet wife called the ambulance not nice being found like that lol , worst was that i ate 6 piece that day wife ate one and i gave brad my gsd a pieec and wife came home form the hospital and poor brad only time he was ever left alone well we had to have all new hallway carpet and when my wife went in because she screamed she said he lay flat down and cowared , he was not well treated before we got him , so hence never ate it since but now we eat nothing but chicken really so i am hoping i can do the fake one as i am cooking it i trust my own cooking , i am just not sure about the smell because for many years we had to avoid the chicken cooking isle in stores i use to start reaching just the smell , it was that bad in the hospital i was moved to a side ward on my own with own toilet the works and i kid you not even the doctor went white and had to leave .

Thanks for the sharing as i say i will try yours i also love a bbq seasoning i use to buy in bulk from a couple of compies then found they had start popping chilli in no mention on the label and it was when my mouth started to burn i contacted them and they said oh we improved the recipe .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:40 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:02 pm
steptoe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:10 pm Ok any ideas would be great as madam said can i do something with the chicken lol rather than just roast or stew
Did you ever try my* recipe for Jeera** Chicken? It's neither hot nor spicy and very moreish. Dead simple, too.
viewtopic.php?p=222445#p222445
* Mr's Dinn's recipe
** Pronounced Zeera
Hi jen not tried it but i will save the recipe lol i saved the kfc fake away but i struggle with kfc as i had food poisoning from it many years back we never had chciken for over 15 years , it was really bad....[Too Graphic redacted :)]... now we eat nothing but chicken really so i am hoping i can do the fake one as i am cooking it i trust my own cooking , i am just not sure about the smell...

Thanks for the sharing as i say i will try yours i also love a bbq seasoning i use to buy in bulk from a couple of compies then found they had start popping chilli in no mention on the label and it was when my mouth started to burn i contacted them and they said oh we improved the recipe .
Jeera Chicken smells nothing like a chicken rotisserie and nothing like KFC. If you don't love it, I'll refund everything you paid me :) You could halve the chillies in the recipe. But it really has no heat.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Heads up folks we have just tried the tesco stockwell baked beans and they are a little watery but the taste was better than hienz not to sweet and not that very tangy taste just right we highly recommend them and for me to eat half a tin the wife knows they tasted good lol .

Ok just a heads up we will buy more lol

"BEANS BEANS GOOD FOR THE HEART THE MORE YOU EAT THE MORE YOU F***"
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:26 pm Heads up folks we have just tried the tesco stockwell baked beans and they are a little watery but the taste was better than hienz not to sweet and not that very tangy taste just right we highly recommend them and for me to eat half a tin the wife knows they tasted good lol .

Thanks,
I totally agree that the Stockwell baked beans are way up there for taste and quality. It seems a recent thing that the juice content was increased to about a 2cm puddle in the tin. But at least the sauce is not too watery and is still flavoursome.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:20 pm
steptoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:26 pm Heads up folks we have just tried the tesco stockwell baked beans and they are a little watery but the taste was better than hienz not to sweet and not that very tangy taste just right we highly recommend them and for me to eat half a tin the wife knows they tasted good lol .

Thanks,
I totally agree that the Stockwell baked beans are way up there for taste and quality. It seems a recent thing that the juice content was increased to about a 2cm puddle in the tin. But at least the sauce is not too watery and is still flavoursome.
Jen just saying goodbye hon enjoy the allotment i have ot leave as i am racist abd the term cut very deep and i will nto go in to why but i will not stay on a site where a mod can throw a term out without thinking of the word RACIST and what it meant they just throw it out .

Saty well and again keep on testing on the family lol
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 pm
Jen just saying goodbye hon enjoy the allotment i have ot leave as i am racist abd the term cut very deep and i will nto go in to why but i will not stay on a site where a mod can throw a term out without thinking of the word RACIST and what it meant they just throw it out .

Saty well and again keep on testing on the family lol
Thanks.
Stay Safe and Stay Sane

I'll miss your contribution.
Sorry to see you may no longer be able to post here. But if you can, do.

Understand that I was not calling YOU racist when I reported your content. As far as I can tell, NO-ONE called you racist. It was the content of your post which was judged.

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Went to Aldi yesterday to get Everyday Essentials wholewheat bread, 39p, but the date was tomorrow. The shelf was full so it's not like it had been in ages and was nearly gone. Both in one is 75p but had an extra day so I got that. Not sure if I was just unlucky because I don't usually check the date. A loaf lasts me about 8 days so I freeze about a third of it. Any tips for cheap bread with good shelf life? I'm not sure if the EE had a smaller date that's longer, didn't have my glasses. Do some have 2 dates?
I think Tesco have cheap bread, but not tried it. I could do. Sainsbury's is aboout 85p I think. I like the EE as it's not as brown, plus it's very cheap.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:36 am Went to Aldi yesterday to get Everyday Essentials wholewheat bread, 39p, but the date was tomorrow. The shelf was full so it's not like it had been in ages and was nearly gone. Both in one is 75p but had an extra day so I got that. Not sure if I was just unlucky because I don't usually check the date. A loaf lasts me about 8 days so I freeze about a third of it. Any tips for cheap bread with good shelf life? I'm not sure if the EE had a smaller date that's longer, didn't have my glasses. Do some have 2 dates?
I think Tesco have cheap bread, but not tried it. I could do. Sainsbury's is aboout 85p I think. I like the EE as it's not as brown, plus it's very cheap.
ALDI have the very cheap bread at 39p, but we much prefer the 79p stuff. It freezes well if you do so straight away. It's not bad bread at all and comparable to the Roberts bread we used to eat when it was sensibly priced.
ASDA also have a 39p offering, but that falls apart when buttered, so we gave up on that.

Incidentally, LIDL have a little of that Bellarom Gold coffee in stock. £2.59 for 200g and pretty good. I thought we'd seen the last of that. ALDI also still have Alcafe Gold at £2.39. Comparable to Kenco smooth.

I often get nice loaves of bread in my ToGoodToGo magic bags. About 50% of bags have at least one loaf and we get a variety which makes a change from same cheap bread every day. The bags only cost £3.09 and I'm planning on buying at least one a week. Here was this week's haul.

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Just been to tesco and the 5kg sugar has gone up from £3.75 a couple of weeks ago to £5 today. Needless to say I didn't buy any. It was just £3.25 a few months ago
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

izzy_mack wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:40 pm Just been to tesco and the 5kg sugar has gone up from £3.75 a couple of weeks ago to £5 today. Needless to say I didn't buy any. It was just £3.25 a few months ago
Damn. That's insane. :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: