What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by GillyBee »

Leggy tomatoes and peppers can be planted extra deep when you next move them into a bigger pot or the ground. They happily grow roots from the stems unlike many other plants so the whole stem can be planted if need be.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Been spring cleaning and decluttering big time. thrown out (mostly to charity shop) pictures, ornaments etc and loads of books. Trying to simplify my life for various reasons. One bonus is that I now have storage space in the house for virtually all my food supplies which makes rotation and keeping a check on what I have easier. It's also easier to keep the house in general tidy and cleaner when it's emptier.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm Leak is coming from chimney. Either I can remove it completely or rebuild it. Latter is dearer obviously. So looks like I won't ever be getting a wood stove now. I do still have the other chimney at the front.
Dang it. that sounds expensive. It will only get worse if you leave it. You need to send jansman up there :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:17 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:12 pm Leak is coming from chimney. Either I can remove it completely or rebuild it. Latter is dearer obviously. So looks like I won't ever be getting a wood stove now. I do still have the other chimney at the front.
Dang it. that sounds expensive. It will only get worse if you leave it. You need to send jansman up there :)
£1450. I'll be glad when it's over. That chimney always made me nervous. It's taller that the other one, 150 years old, right above my bed! The roof is stonger on this side now it's tiled, but even so. They have been known to collapse in gales. My available cash will take yet another hit, but I have some 2 year bonds due in July, I'll liberate one or two. I hate having tradesmen round to do jobs.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Get the chimney repaired,drop a liner down,solid fuel stove.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

As well as low vision I have back issues.

I get a back ache when I stand for long, and I ended up getting in the habit of using my computer lying on my bed. Literally lying on my back. My screen is my tv, above the end of the bed. I hold the keyboard in one hand and type with the other. It's very comfortable. Too comfortable.

But of course it's not something I should do all the time. So I'm trying to spend more time standing or sitting when I use my computer or watch the tv/NowTV/Youtube. Fortunately I am set up so I have all three options, and can swap from one to another in just a couple of seconds.

My desk is designed for standing, and is set to the same height for standing or sitting. My chair is a tall draughtsman's chair. Keyboard and trackpad are bluetooth obviously. Using a mouse buggered up my wrist a few years back.

I just swing the tv round 45° when I want to stand or sit. This is possible because it's already about 15 inches or so away from the wall. It's set as vertical as it will go, tilted down about 5°.

I typed the above sitting, and now I am standing. I just slide the desk away a few inches. Hard floor means it is stable and easy to slide. I put felt pads on the underside of the desk base to make it slide easier. I can type without looking and have a big gel wrist support long enough for keyboard and trackpad.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Get the chimney repaired,drop a liner down,solid fuel stove.
Extra £1000 even before the cost of the stove and fireplace. I had about £9,000 expenses already last year. Couldn't spend any more. Long term bug in I'd have to try to use the fireplace in the front room.
Last edited by Frnc on Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:51 pm Leggy tomatoes and peppers can be planted extra deep when you next move them into a bigger pot or the ground. They happily grow roots from the stems unlike many other plants so the whole stem can be planted if need be.
I've read that they can do OK if you bury them up to their necks. But sources vary. I recall one experiment were it was shown that they might never recover properly compared to, say, a later re-sowing.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:30 pm
GillyBee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:51 pm Leggy tomatoes and peppers can be planted extra deep when you next move them into a bigger pot or the ground. They happily grow roots from the stems unlike many other plants so the whole stem can be planted if need be.
I've read that they can do OK if you bury them up to their necks. But sources vary. I recall one experiment were it was shown that they might never recover properly compared to, say, a later re-sowing.
HI jen you can plant toms deeper i have never tried me pepers never had to , if you cut toms at the end of a flower truss watch what grows from it and then it goes goose bumpy and it then turns to roots in the air , you can cut that off plant it and get a tom plant toms are very hardy like that .

I have just finished planting lots of toms lettuce and sunflowers and came in to the comp and found i won some great oil lmaps on the bay which will be here this week i hope and i can clean them and well have fun .

We all need to watch the banks right now when banks start to fall it pulls down other stuff try and get your food preps up to date tinned and dry goods are a must right now , fresh stuff we can grow , ok people just be ready because people have laughed at people who prepare but watch them start to ask for our help .

You would not go out in a boat with out being prepared or on a expidition upa mountain or to the artic without being prepared so why not be prepared at home , ok well jen you keep growing hon and enjoy
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:59 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:30 pm
HI jen you can plant toms deeper i have never tried me pepers never had to , if you cut toms at the end of a flower truss watch what grows from it and then it goes goose bumpy and it then turns to roots in the air , you can cut that off plant it and get a tom plant toms are very hardy like that .

I have just finished planting lots of toms lettuce and sunflowers and came in to the comp and found i won some great oil lmaps on the bay which will be here this week i hope and i can clean them and well have fun .

We all need to watch the banks right now when banks start to fall it pulls down other stuff try and get your food preps up to date tinned and dry goods are a must right now , fresh stuff we can grow , ok people just be ready because people have laughed at people who prepare but watch them start to ask for our help .

You would not go out in a boat with out being prepared or on a expidition upa mountain or to the artic without being prepared so why not be prepared at home , ok well jen you keep growing hon and enjoy
Trying and failing to find the article that tested a comparison between burying leggy tomatoes to not burying them or planting a later batch. I can't find the artical but it concluded that the second sowing caught up and produced the biggest crop. The buried to their necks sisters did a smaller crop and the 'leave them leggy' batch produced very poor crops. So if the go leggy, bury them to just below their first real leaves, but ideally sow later or under lights.
Steptoe, Give those lamps a good rub with a polishing cloth. you never know whether a genie will appear. But if one does, don't say 'bu66er me' because that may count as your first wish. :D

I fully agree that the unthinkable disaster resulting from the banks shenanigans really does need watching. We preppers know intuitively not to trust everything to just turn out OK. If the banks keep needing bailouts, then troubles are never far behind. We only just got over the 2008 banking crisis, and no lessons seem to have been learned. See how the Chinese banking crisis recently imploded. That went quiet, but didnt go away. Remember Crypto. There's a disaster waiting to resurface (IMHO).

Currently reading the wartime 'Dig For Victory' leaflets. Fascinating how ideas have changed, from digging practises to how to make compost and how to store food. there are interesting tips there, if you can take updated advice and merge it with the old tried and tested.

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/growing- ... flets-ww2/