Low salt

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Frnc

Low salt

Post by Frnc »

For anyone interested, I'll get the ball rolling.

Gravy

Knorr Veggies Zero Salt stock cubes. Sainsbiry's never got them in. Last time I paid £3 a packet off ebay. Today cheapest is £3.33.
BUT not only have Sainsbury's got them on offer at £1, they got them in my local. I just went and got 6 after checking the date. Saving £14.

Went to Tesco and got their last 4 tubs of Kallo low salt gravy powder. Not on offer, but probably cheaper than Amazon or ebay. £3.15 a tub. Amazon charging £6.04. Ebay £4.32. Saving £4.68

Kallo very low salt stock cubes are ok but don't dissolve as well as Knorr, you have to float the lumps and mash them against the side.

My recipe:
Heaped tsp cornflower starch
tsp Kallo
tsp Bisto low salt gravy
about 1/4 stock cube
Frnc

Re: Low salt

Post by Frnc »

Obviously I try not to add actual salt to my food. I have LoSalt Reduced Sodium salt, which is 66% Less Sodium than regular table, sea and rock salts.

I decant it into a little salt cellar which emits a tiny trickle, maybe it gets blocked easy, but this suits me.

On the rare occasion I have a few chips they might get a tiny bit.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We use a DIY stock mix for general cooking as both salt and gluten are off limits. We use the dried vegetables for this - about 50% dried mushrooms and the rest a mix of carrot, onion nd celery and buzz it all up in a spice grinder so we can add a teaspoonful where needed.
For gravy we now cook onions alongside the meat and use the onion, meat juices and something like rice or buckwheat four to thicken.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I do the same thing gillybee.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just had crumpets with melted marge and yeast extract, yummee!

Figures might surprise you

2 x Warburtons crumpets 1.63 g salt 27% rec daily max.
2g (guestimate) sains red salt yeast extract 0.13g
7g Flora lighter vegan 0.09g

So the salty bit, the marmite sub, is less than 10% of the salt hidden in the crumpets.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

One of the big salt items for me is pizzas. Lowest I found is also cheapest. Aldi Everyday Essentials 0.59% salt, 75p.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Happened to check the vegan pizzas in Aldi today. The salsa veg one has almost 5g of salt per pizza :shock: i left empty handed!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

hobo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm Happened to check the vegan pizzas in Aldi today. The salsa veg one has almost 5g of salt per pizza :shock: i left empty handed!
That's ridiculous. Of course it depends on how much you have. I usually have 2/3 - 3/4, but I had a whole Aldi Everyday Essential Cheese Pizza the other day and that was 1.98g.

My daily average for the last 4 weeks is 4.35g per day, assuming I'm getting it right when I add low sodium salt to my fried egg or whatever.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

My view on salt is .
Food is made for profit, the big food producers have for many years loaded food with salt , sugar , fat all three have bad health outcomes if taken in large amounts .
If you pick a vegan low fat product more than often it's salt and sugar content is high .
The producers just don't care ,as a ex bodybuilder and now with health issues iv taken note of food content for many years .
The overwhelming majority of ma's produced food is unhealthy for you if eaten at every meal .
The most common health issues in Western countries is basically down to mass manufactured food .
Salt is a major player.

Where possible cook your food from scratch , then you know for sure how much .
Salt
Sugar
Fat
Is in it.

Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Cereal

Aldi bran flakes 0.24%
Sains Rice Pops 0.43%
Sains bran flakes 0.54%