Our 5 day powercut in December 2022.

How are you preparing
Britcit

Our 5 day powercut in December 2022.

Post by Britcit »

On the afternoon of Monday 12th December we lost power and were without for 5 days, it not coming back on until late afternoon that Saturday. As promised, this post is a breakdown of what we did, what worked and what didnt. (Please move if this would be better placed elsewhere on here ;) )

My first mistake that Monday was not really knowing how bad it was getting. Where I work was somehow sheltered from the worst of the weather and once I drove over a small hill to go home, all I saw was white, a hard horizontal snow. I had to drop off 2 guys on my way and then try to get home myself. Within about an hour and a half it had dumped a foot of snow and I had only 2 routes home, both over very steep hills. I picked one route purely because I know someone down that road, and if I got stuck I would have somewhere safe to go.
By this time I had passed a lot of vans and people carriers off the road as a major construction site got caught out aswell, and all the workers were scrambling to get back home.
I managed to phone the missus, and she said the power was on and off, and then it went off and we lost contact. We have a satellite phone set-up at home, no power no calls.
I managed to get home, needing a lift from a pickup truck the last 3 miles as the car got stuck.
3.5 hours for a 1\2 your journey.
I had warm clothing in the vehicle and drinks so wasn't to worried, and if you do get stuck here in this kind of weather you can pretty much knock on any door and people will let you stay.

At home, the first consideration was light which we have well covered with lamps, torches and candles. I lit the fire, threw extra blankets the bed and we got cosy expecting nothing more than a 12 hour blackout. A gas hob meant we could cook and boil water.
Early to bed, early to rise, still no power.
Day 2 we fired up the generator (petrol, Lidl cheap one), so we could maintain the freezers. We have 2 big chest freezers full, so didn't want to lose anything.
I dug out 3 different radios to find to the local station, but realised that they all run on Ctype batteries and I had none. FAIL....
I half remembered a post on here about rigging other batteries to do the job, so I cannabalised some torches for those little holders that hold 3 x aaa batteries. 4 of those did the job and we had radio. Local station saying poles were down, cables broken and it would be days, not hours until we were back on grid.
I then spent most of the next few days hauling wood and peat into the house for.warmth, keeping pans of water on the fire for cleaning, and boiling water for tea and coffee.
This is when I wished I had covered the peat stack like I should have done as maintaining a good fire with damp peat is hard. Another Fail there.
We got a few visits from local volunteers who were driving big 4x4 trucks, checking everyone was okay. We were fine, but they were delivering supplies, fuel and hot food to those who wernt.
We did pop to the local hall twice for a hot meal, more for updates than the food. The engineers who had shipped north to us bought a load of big generators so local halls could operate as a warm hub, and somewhere to sleep if you needed it.
The first night (monday) we slept in the slightly chilly bedroom. The second night (from here on out my wife was mostly away from the house as she.works in social care and was needed) I tried to.sleep in front of the fire, sofa sleeping bag and blankets, but quickly realised that while a.good peat fire will burn nice and hot, to bank it for the night means the temp drops fast. I decided to be comfortable and cold in bed rather than uncomfortable and cold on the sofa.
Each night then, I slept in the bed room but had roughly 20 candle lights out to take the edge off the cold. That works, but barely.
I did suggest in jest that I pitch a tent in the living room, and if the.power had stayed off for a further 4 days on top of the 5, I would have done just that.
I was house bound as we have dogs and chickens, so the isolation quickly kicks in. I kept entertained with audio books, and even had 3 full powerbanks to keep the.kindle and headphones charged. I did need to recharge after 4 days, and plugged them into the generator via a surge.protector.
Nothing can really prepare you for how cold your house gets. After no heating for a day it gets cold, but after 3 days it's cold 'to its bones'. It's hard to describe and I hope you all never experience that, but its like your house dosnt feel as safe anymore. I
Overall I kept as busy as I could, found myself getting up when the cocks crowed and was back in bed by about 6-7 pm. Feed the fire, feed the chickens, rescue the chickens from snow.drifts lol, plan meals, check batteries, fire up the genny. It all helps keep your mind active.
For those of you with petrol generators, please keep in mind the exhaust fumes. I know it is something we.are.mindful off, but when you fire your generator 'in anger' and need it for 4 days that when you find out just how.much stink they produce. Luckily we have a large garage where the freezers are , but even with a.window open for ventilation I had to be careful when I went to.switch it.off. The fumes even seeped into our porch\entrance area but luckily not into the house.
I need a better plan to deal with the fumes.

More to follow, I need coffee lol.
Last edited by Britcit on Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Bijela

Re: Our 5 day powercut in December 2022.

Post by Bijela »

Sounds like you done well. Have you thought about usb heated items ? I'm currently wearing usb heated fingerless gloves. I got them 2 days ago and testing them out. It was a pack of 2 and 1 set feels hotter. I already have a body warmer that I use in the freezer at work -20 to -25ish. I can feel the warmth still.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Sorry about the.above post, it looks like I just threw the info on the page rather than give it any kind of structure. I will try to breaking down a bit to be clearer.

Comms. Like I said, we only really expected a 12 hour powercut as that's pretty normal for us this time of year. Once we hit 18 hours, and I had fired up the genny, we realised we needed more info. Once the radio was sorted, and we knew it was going to be days we could plan accordingly.
Later on that 2nd day I spoke to our neighbour who still though the power was going to be back 'any time now' I told them what the local news was reporting.
I was able to make calls and connect to 3g via my mobile phone. This wasn't ideal though as to do so I need to stand at the top of our road to get a signal. Not great in a blizzard, but a comfort that in an emergency I could call for help.
I need to buy a usb powered radio so I can use the powerbanks, preferably one that takes aaa or aa batteries as well.

Food. No problems there as you can imagine, we have plenty of that. Cooking was okay on our gas hob, and I was cooking pasta and noodles using boiled water and a hot flask wrapped in towels.

Heat. As mentioned above, we have a solid fuel stove in the living room, but I had poorly stored peat so it was a struggle at first. Also an issue is the fact we have a mostly open plan downstairs, so any heat we did get soon dissipated. At one point we were told we were going to be without power for 9 days, so I was planning to hang blankets from the ceiling in an attempt to block in the heat to a smaller area. I also nearly pitched a tent as mentioned above.
The bedroom was cold, but I made it barely manageable buy burning tea lights, and we have a primus gas lamp that kicked out some heat as well. It was bitterly cold in the mornings though so I slept mostly fully clothed.
During the day I wore 3-4 layers in the house, with another padded layer on top when I went out.
Keep in mind, once your house temp really drops low that it's difficult to get warm after being outside. People are used to coming in to warm up, but that's hard without power for days. Even once I had a good fire going, I spaced out my outdoor chores so my core temp didn't drop to low.
On the second day I stayed outside for a few hours try to find dry peat and stack it by the door, and gathering stray chickens. It wasn't until I came in and it wasn't warm inside that I realised I was borderline hypothermic. Take care, it creeps up on you.

Entertainment\Mental Health.
Don't underestimate this. The novelty of a longer than usual powercut wore off after about 36 hours. At that point it's about getting a routine of getting the necessary chores done, which without power takes longer. You do need to distract yourself however or the grind of it will bring you down. I had audio books, luckily I had just downloaded 2 so they lasted for a few days. I preferred audio as the lighting conditions were poor, even during the day, and in the evening I could just turn of the lamps and still listen.
If I saw any one passing by (pretty rare) I would go out and say hi. Good way to get more or updated info. And human contact is nice.

I know I'm making it sound like I was isolated for weeks, whilst it was only 5 days, but believe me, that was a very long 5 days and actually felt more like 10.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Bijela wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:53 pm Sounds like you done well. Have you thought about usb heated items ? I'm currently wearing usb heated fingerless gloves. I got them 2 days ago and testing them out. It was a pack of 2 and 1 set feels hotter. I already have a body warmer that I use in the freezer at work -20 to -25ish. I can feel the warmth still.
I hadn't really thought about usb heated items tbh. I have started looking for usb powered radios and may get a few gloves and socks etc. Things get really miserable when your extremities are cold. Thanks for the idea :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Britcit, that's really interesting, thank you for taking the time.

How about water? Did it keep flowing? I'm assuming it did, or you would have mentioned it, but I'm just wondering :) And did the chickens cope? They seem to have strayed quite a lot :lol:

I was also wondering about the tent - I have an unused "festival" tent, one of things that spring up from a flat circle, self-erecting (and quite alarming when you're actually inside a house, not at a festival :lol: ). I'd be sleeping in that, laying it on my bed and putting my duvet inside it.

Your first point, about choosing the route home based on people you know you could stay with if you got stuck, even though nearly everyone will let you stay - I think that's important, who wouldn't rather stay with a friend than a stranger, after all.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks for that insight ...

Just general musings

Have you got snow / winter tyres / all season tyres and chains (or the modern textile equivalents) ?

For the radio the overpriced raddy I got has died so I'm off out to buy a couple of basic of AA powered basic tranny's £10 ISH each the batteries in them usually last a good while .. I've also got a Lidl one that accepts 5v in nothing I can't bastardise to usb if needed ....

You can get a Verity of battery adaptors on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152478886393 ... BMgqeTw65h

As for additional heat I've got a selection of portable gas heaters a calor gas one that takes the 14ish kg bottles ,. A cheaper 1kw camping job that runs on those gas batteries recently found them in butane and propane mix flavour for cold weather use
Screenshot_20230102-211836.png
... a buddy heater, which runs on mix blowlamp cartridges
Screenshot_20230102-211258.png

plus a 5kw Chinese self contained diesel heater.. shtf I would smash a hole through the air brick and pump hot air into the kitchen from the heater outside powered from a leisure battery / jump pack
Screenshot_20230102-211608.png
And the bio ethanol fireplace which is portable a 300ml charge of fuel lasts about 40mins
Screenshot_20230102-212206.png
. oh have you got any hot water bottles?

The tent pitching is a good idea if you've got some decent sleeping bags 4 or 5 season they are worth their weight in gold.....

For the generator it's best outside the yanks like their little metal / resin boxes but if you try and make one beware of the generator overheating they don't like getting hot being air cooled

I've got a long flex made up of ho7rn 2.5mm cable so I can run it into the house.. I've a resin garden box full of kids summer toys they would be hoofed out to keep the Genny dry with the front doors open to keep it cool and exhaust..
Screenshot_20230102-205143.png
Having several co alarms around the house is never a bad thing at the best of times

Also consider taping a new matching spark plug to the frame in its box and having oil handy for a change / top up also a can of easy start (not that I advocate it for daily use but in the cold it can be a good send ) and a length of pull cord for when it inevitably snaps ... If you can't fix it no doubt a neighbor can

Having mains gas this will also give me power for the Ch boiler which only uses 101w to run the boiler and pump

As for trapping heat blue tack or pin / tape foil blankets to the windows

They let some light in but slow the loss of heat somewhat

For other kit look for fast chargers my mobile supports Qualcomm fast charge although it doesn't come with the funky charger ... £8 well worth it especially if running a generator saving fuel by fast charging isn't to be sniffed at likewise say a leisure battery charger a 4a car charger will take hours to bang 50amps into a battery (12.5 hrs plus). The 20a one 2.5hrs...
Attachments
Screenshot_20230102-211836.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for the insight into your powercut.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Thanks for that. Part that got my attention is how fast the house became cold and lifeless (?)after a few days without warmth. I saw a sleeping bag powered by a powerbank somewhere. Made by vango I think
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Did you use hot water bottles at all? Just wondering after the Youtube link posted the other day where the soldier operating in Ukraine recommended them. They are part of our stay warm strategy for low or no power personal warmth.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:17 pm Did you use hot water bottles at all? Just wondering after the Youtube link posted the other day where the soldier operating in Ukraine recommended them. They are part of our stay warm strategy for low or no power personal warmth.
We have those. They work! And how simple.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.