Sandbags

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
space.gamer

Sandbags

Post by space.gamer »

(Why are even the simple things so complex! :lol:)

Hey! I'm looking at getting myself some sandbags to protect my house from water damage. I'm not in a particularly high flood risk area but near where I live in Kent (not too far from the sea) doesn't have the best drainage. Therefore I'm not anticipating flood risks from bursting rivers or lakes (or the sea itself) but we could potentially have an issue from excessive rain now flowing away. Also my house is at the bottom of a very slight hill so there's the potential that excess rainfall could flow towards my house.

Structure-wise, it's a detached house, with 2 main doorways into the house. We also have a conservatory door but it's raised off the ground by a foot, so I'm hoping won't be an issue. However we do also have a garage door which does have a slightly sloping driving way so this is probably the most "open" of spots to our house.

I was thinking about just buying 2 dozen bags of Sharp Sand from our local B&Q and chucking them in front of the house if needed but having done some research, I'm not sure that's sufficient.

Firstly I've heard that sandbags for flood protection shouldn't be full and in fact a bag around 2/3rds full is good so you can flatten them down and give the sand some space to move.

I've also heard folks say you should put the sand in Hessian bags. Having looked on Amazon, these aren't particularly cheap and many of them seem to tear or "decay" after a few weeks or months being left outside. I was planning on just putting the bags outside by our shed and just use them when needed, but perhaps this isn't how it should be approached.

This obviously leads to considerations on storage of the sand and bags.

So here are some initial questions:

1. Is Sharp Sand ok to use?
2. Would 20ish kg bags of Sharp Sand from places like B&Q work?
3. Can I just store the sand in the bags as it comes from B&Q and then transfer to strong rubble-black bags and use these rubble-black bags as my sand bags when I need to use them?
4. If I need Hessian bags, should I just store these dry (i.e. unpacked without sand) and then just transfer the sand into these Hessian bags when needed?
5. I've seen folks also put plastic sheeting around the bottom of doorways and then put the sand bags on the sheeting. Advisable?
6. I've also seen folks store their sand bags on a raised pallet rather than directly on the floor (for outside storage). Is this required? I was assuming that the standard B&Q type bags of sand would store outside in all weathers without issue. Should they themselves be covered outside too?

... but I also welcome additional comments or recommendations. As always, I don't want to spent a fortune on sand and sand bags, so an effective but low-cost solution works best.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by space.gamer on Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
berbie

Re: Sandbags

Post by berbie »

Sharp sand is ok to use but buying from BQ is twice the price of a builder's merchant
Hessian bags much better than plastic as they "bond together" better
I'd store the hessian bags dry for as long as possible to preserve them as they're expensive but not compared to being flooded!
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Another option may be to buy some "flood socks" or similar? Single use but easy to store & deploy if required and fit into all sorts of gaps.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lidl, currently have some tough self fill DIY sandbags.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hessian and polyester woven bags both rot

I've had Hessian ones rot filled in a dry garage...

Likewise the woven plastic jobbies disintegrate in sunlight

Your best having builders merchants bagged sand and sand bags ready to fill a sharp knife and a bq bucket with the bottom cut out and a slit down the side ...

Roll it tighter than the opening of the sandbag slide into the bag then let it go

Something like this
Screenshot_20221103-213456.png

https://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.u ... 4YQAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Thanks all for your replies. I'm currently deciding what to do but I think I'll just buy some sand and store that outside, and get some Hessian bags at store them dry in my garage, and make up the sandbags if I need them.

I suppose I should think about the size of the bag too. Understanding that I should only fill the bag around 2/3rds full, I'm thinking something around 750x325mm would be a good size (these seem to be a common size and I recon this is around 12kg of sand filled correctly), or is that too slim?

Hessian bag recommendations would be good...

This? https://amzn.eu/d/d9TY4wl

Or these seem to be a good price: https://www.aspli.com/231/hessian-sand- ... OEQAvD_BwE
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:24 pm Lidl, currently have some tough self fill DIY sandbags.
I've picked up some of these anyway as they seemed cheap enough to take a punt on but as you know, these are made from the more "plasticy" material rather than hessian.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Could you blag any of those soil delivery bags from your friendly neighbourhood landscaper or builder? Those single use bags are environmental waste for those tradesmen. Just to cut up and use the material, obviously.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Appin

Post by Appin »

Double check but I believe the sand after exposure to flood water is regarded as contaminated (sewage etc) so it requires special disposal. You have to pay for it’s disposal as the council says not their problem. Also hessian rots quickly once wet.

Have you looked at these?
Hydrosack and hydrosnake.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Build ... /c/1013000

Appin
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Also check things like floodboards and airbrick flood covers as that might work better than sandbags.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazi ... r-26187262
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

space.gamer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:20 am Thanks all for your replies. I'm currently deciding what to do but I think I'll just buy some sand and store that outside, and get some Hessian bags at store them dry in my garage, and make up the sandbags if I need them.

I suppose I should think about the size of the bag too. Understanding that I should only fill the bag around 2/3rds full, I'm thinking something around 750x325mm would be a good size (these seem to be a common size and I recon this is around 12kg of sand filled correctly), or is that too slim?

Hessian bag recommendations would be good...

This? https://amzn.eu/d/d9TY4wl

Or these seem to be a good price: https://www.aspli.com/231/hessian-sand- ... OEQAvD_BwE
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:24 pm Lidl, currently have some tough self fill DIY sandbags.
I've picked up some of these anyway as they seemed cheap enough to take a punt on but as you know, these are made from the more "plasticy" material rather than hessian.
Hi spacegamer, we've flooding (not me personally) here in aberdeenshire and the local council are supplying residents with sandbags to be collected from the road depots, might be worth exploring it with your local council?