Air fryer/mini oven to save electricity

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Frnc

Air fryer/mini oven to save electricity

Post by Frnc »

Got an air fryer/mini oven yesterday, to save time and save electricity. Warms up in 2-3 minutes. Cooks fast. Uses less power for less time. I put it on a marble worktop saver to make sure the heat didn't harm the work top. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MQ2H27R/

Seems excellent. I did a Quorn escalope 2 mins microwave and 3 mins in the oven and it came out nicer than just microwaved. Was crispy on the outside.

Also did some cauliflower 3 mins microwave 3 mins oven and that came out nicer than just boiling, and much nicer than just microwaved.

Its a 10 litre oven and is slightly smaller than the size stated, but will just about do pizzas. I fact my lodger did a 9.25" non-frozen pizza last night, just fitted in. Took about 7 minutes including warm up time.

I buy the big cheapo £1.10 12" non-frozen pizzas and have half at a time*. I just need to cut the half in two and they'll fit in easily. Oven has two shelves plus a drip/crumb tray. Also has a rotating basket/skewer, not sure I'll ever use that.

Gonna try a frozen pie tonight, microwaved first.

*These are very basic, but if you add a few dabs of ricotta and a bit of mushroom or whatever you have a great pizza for under £1 per half.
Vitamin c

Re: Air fryer/mini oven to save electricity

Post by Vitamin c »

With your average cost of £2 a hour for a oven in the autumn these seem like the way forward

Or raw vegan. .. 💪
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

My wife is a big fan of the air fryer and microwave. It’s certainly quick.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 am With your average cost of £2 a hour for a oven in the autumn these seem like the way forward

Or raw vegan. .. 💪
Bearing in mind I have two lodgers, who eat at different times, oven could in theory be on for a couple of hours a day. I guess a family with older kids or working shifts would be similar.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Pie was a bit of a disaster. I microwaved it and it fell apart, hot but soggy (the pastry is frozen and not precooked) so I put it in a ceramic dish and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Some of the pastry cooked OK but some was still soggy. It was hot, and edible. I think next time I'll just do it how you're supposed to. At least the warmup time is quick and hopefully the cooking will be a bit quicker.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 pm My wife is a big fan of the air fryer and microwave. It’s certainly quick.
I did frozen chips last night in 10 minutes from a cold start! Then pizza in about 4 minutes on the top shelf, extra 2 minutes for the other half moved from bottom to top after 4 minutes.

Currently trying frozen Quorn pie at 175 for 40 minutes from cold* with foil over the top. I did one the other day and the top cooked a bit quick. The element is at the top.

* warmup is quick enough that you don't need to pre-heat it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J has done three jacket spuds for 16 minutes in the microwave. Then spray with a little oil,and air fry for three minutes to crisp ‘em up. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Hmm...I have an air fryer that I never use...time to dig it out and experiment!

Do you have a guide as to times etc. or how to convert the cooking times and temperatures on the back of packets to air fryer times/temps?
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:15 pm Hmm...I have an air fryer that I never use...time to dig it out and experiment!

Do you have a guide as to times etc. or how to convert the cooking times and temperatures on the back of packets to air fryer times/temps?
Yeah
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Awesome! Thank you!
:D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb