What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Medusa »

I have just ordered a new greenhouse. We have been using one of those tubular framed, plastic covered cheap ones for the last 3 years. I am very excited. Also had some of our ancient Everest aluminium double glazing replaced too. It's been an expensive week, but worth it.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:05 pm I have just ordered a new greenhouse. We have been using one of those tubular framed, plastic covered cheap ones for the last 3 years. I am very excited. Also had some of our ancient Everest aluminium double glazing replaced too. It's been an expensive week, but worth it.
A decent greenhouse ( well,any greenhouse really), makes such a difference to your gardening. Even a coldframe can open up new avenues.I currently have lettuce growing in my polytunnel,and pots of compost warming in the propagators.The temperature is rising to 5-7° c here this week,so I shall start off some more salad,and my tomatoes.Timed right,I can be picking toms by late May or early June.I like the tunnel cleared of them by early August,so I can get overwinter crops in,such as lettuce and oriental greens.Today,I shall pull half a dozen 12" pots of compost too. They will warm,and in a month I shall set 'Rocket' early spuds.I can generally get a panful for Whit Sunday that way.

I love the anticipation of the season ahead.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

deleted
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Last week I did an inventory of my stashes and took some pictures in case there is ever a reason I have to claim from the insurance. I have also been charging everything I can with mumblings of power cuts.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My new "surplus" cold wet weather haix boots arrived today some poor sod has already just about broken them in for me great condition for the price :D

got Mrs A brand new with tags pair of them a few years back and paid double what I got these for and she's only worn them twice but they are there for if it snows apparently... her employer at the time a few years back wasn't happy when she walked to work in heavy snow in them and they weren't company policy black so she offered to go home and sit on the sofa ..... No as employees XXX and xxxx can't get in because of the snow and they lived closer to work than she did . :roll: ..

. .. she's not impressed I'm wearing these as slippers round the house however finishing off bedding them in
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rob

Post by Rob »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:40 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:23 pm After reading lots of things on this site I decided to buy a food dehydrator. It arrives tomorrow, so this weekend will involve experiments with different food types.

I desperately want to stop eating chocolate, so I thought this might be a healthy snack.

Can any of you recommend uses for the machine which would help if shtf?

Cheers
Hi Rob,
My most prolific dehydration is of carrots and onions, followed by sliced mushrooms and tomatoes used in many meal options.
Buy veg in bulk while it's cheap and plentiful. Yellow label veg is fine to dehydrate.
Dried veg is easily good for storing for a year. Just rehydrate with a 30 minute soak in boiled water before using. I actually USE my dried scoff to rotate it into regular use.

Some users dehydrate soups or whole meals. If you do that, please report back your results.

Always blanch carrots for a couple of minutes before dehydrating.. Stops them going black.

Dehydrate onions in a place where the smell is acceptable, like a garage or shed. The smell can linger on the dehydrator.

Dehydrate 5mm slices of apples, oranges, bananas and bigger chunks of pineapple. These make brilliant substitutes for sweets. The flavour is massively concentrated and of course, they would last months if not so moreish. Rinse apple or pear slices in lemon juice first. It stops oxidation and doesn't impact the flavour. Oranges can be completely dehydrated, over 24 hours, or quick juice reduced in about 8 hours if you intend to eat them soon.

Use tupperware or jars, or vacuum seal in bags.

Other than that, there's lots of good hints and tips on this forum and on YouTube.
Just giving my feedback.

Tested banana, apple, kiwi, peach, plum.

Banana worked great.
Apple worked great.
Kiwi worked great.
Peach was like leather, not recommended.
Plum was ok, but lacked flavour.

This weekend I'll be trying pineapple, carrot, tomatoes, mushrooms and finally onion. I am really enjoying the new experience.

After I have finished my tests I'll start stocking up on the best ones.

Thanks again Jenny.

Rob
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

In preparation for a tighter lockdown which shuts most shops, I have ordered some stuff from the garden centre. It was £5 for delivery so that way I don't need to go into a store with the great Covid masses. Last March I did it before the first lockdown when garden centres shut, so I was able to get growing as soon as weather permitted. I've ordered some manure, seedling compost, tomato grow bag and some Aaran Pilot seed potatoes. My real seed order arrived so I will be good to go.

Hubby has ordered some more knife making stuff so if they do properly shut his work, he'll have something to occupy himself with which is a good mental health prep. (He is a car salesman but they are still open for click n collect and he's busy. I mean, really!?? Unless your van/car has broken and you need it for work, I really don't think car sales is essential! But a lot of business are playing this game. Anyhoos, as Covid cases are surging round here, we are prepping for tighter restrictions/more chance of having to self isolate.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rob wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 pm Just giving my feedback.

Tested banana, apple, kiwi, peach, plum.

Banana worked great.
Apple worked great.
Kiwi worked great.
Peach was like leather, not recommended.
Plum was ok, but lacked flavour.

This weekend I'll be trying pineapple, carrot, tomatoes, mushrooms and finally onion. I am really enjoying the new experience.

After I have finished my tests I'll start stocking up on the best ones.

Thanks again Jenny.

Rob
Quick thoughts:
You'll never look back and never again waste freezer space with veg.

Carrots, try some diced, some sliced and some as matchsticks for different meal types. The pieces will shrink tiny and might fall through the trays so get some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/cookamesh-blac ... 0085E8ZDM/ or similar.

Orange slices are delish! I have a batch in now. I must try kiwi. Bet that gets super concentrated.

Don't rush the dehydrating or you will leave residual moisture that will allow spoilage. 20 hours @ 55C is a typical session for me.

Dehydrating celery is funny: It's like 99% water so you just end up with tiny spikes of nothingness,

If you buy frozen veg, you can dehydrate that without blanching and it can work out super cheap.

Love to know what success or failures you have.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Once you have a selection of dried veg you can also make useful mixes. I have a curry paste dry mix made from bought dried vegetable powders but I have been using my home dehydrated veg to make stock powder by blending them to powder in a spice grinder. It is mostly a mix of celery, onion, mushroom, carrot and oregano or bay leaf.
The next one on the list to invent is a good quick soup mix for lunches.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Has anyone tried spiralising their veg before drying?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar