Snow issues

Logistics and Transport
peejay

Snow issues

Post by peejay »

This is our second winter in the current house, last winter was pretty mild with just a smattering of snow but just an hour of the stuff this evening was enough to cause cars to struggle to drive up the hill we live on resulting in the neighbour outside in his shorts & wellies helping push cars up the hill!

Will be interesting to see how it develops as our driveway is another 15-20m or so of very steep drive again from the road - I'm in no rush to take the car out that's for sure!

I do have a bag of rocksalt if needs be but if we weren't so locked down I might prefer to have a few bags of salt/grit handy.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Snow issues

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It's like glass outside here I've used the council salt bin to do the road outside about 100m either side of the house so at least we won't end up with a car / bus in our living room
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Luckily our wall is on the uphill side of the drive so on balance less likely to be hit, plus the opposite side of the road is muddy embankment so hopefully a preferred target if someone is forced to make a decision to swerve somewhere...
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

If you have a wood fire, wood ash is high in salts and the extra specks of charcoal adds grit too.
We have a surplus of wood ash (a waist height metal bin that needs emptied again after 2 months), so I use that for salting our sloped gravel driveway.
It does look ugly on the white snow.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We've missed the snow by about 30 miles all round it's on the north Yorkshire Moors. Out towards Leeds / Halifax Sheffield but it came to lower levels as rain.. my collapsible "avalanche" shovel came today to replace the full size snow shovel I have been chucking in my boot much more compact and stronger.... Win win

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:46 pm We've missed the snow by about 30 miles all round it's on the north Yorkshire Moors. Out towards Leeds / Halifax Sheffield but it came to lower levels as rain.. my collapsible "avalanche" shovel came today to replace the full size snow shovel I have been chucking in my boot much more compact and stronger.... Win win
I carry an army folding shovel. Not like a full sized ‘proper’ one , but adequate. More than adequate actually, as back in my fox hunting days, I carried one in the inside pocket of my hunting jacket, as I had a particularly small Russell that could squeeze in the tightest fox hole, at the most awkward moment. Several times I had to dig in darkness to get the little sod out! Mind you, I did get a fair few fox pelts as a result- and back then it was 25 quid a time! Dear god I feel old!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:19 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:46 pm We've missed the snow by about 30 miles all round it's on the north Yorkshire Moors. Out towards Leeds / Halifax Sheffield but it came to lower levels as rain.. my collapsible "avalanche" shovel came today to replace the full size snow shovel I have been chucking in my boot much more compact and stronger.... Win win

I carry an army folding shovel. Not like a full sized ‘proper’ one , but adequate. More than adequate actually, as back in my fox hunting days, I carried one in the inside pocket of my hunting jacket, as I had a particularly small Russell that could squeeze in the tightest fox hole, at the most awkward moment. Several times I had to dig in darkness to get the little sod out! Mind you, I did get a fair few fox pelts as a result- and back then it was 25 quid a time! Dear god I feel old!

There's one of the British army entrenchment tools somewhere in the boot like this all year round
Screenshot_20210108-232809.png
Used it 10 years ago in the bad winter.. it works but it's small size and short handle makes it hard work I like the easy life :lol: ok for digging out if you get bogged down though

Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

You do realise that screenshot has just shown everyone where you live
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 pm You do realise that screenshot has just shown everyone where you live

Not my home post code most of my parcels go to works office :lol: cheers
. It did however reveal my Sunday name though or the name that got yelled if I was in trouble with mum :lol: