What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:47 pm I dont think I'm going to bother growing veg any more. I'd like to do some onions but not sure if there is the room. Tiny garden. We've got a very good organic farm shop just 3 mins away by car. Still thinking things through though. New area/new house, all change.
There must be room for onions, Lil, or at least chives. Square foot gardening is a real thing. I could split my seed packages with you, if it helps?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:18 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:47 pm I dont think I'm going to bother growing veg any more. I'd like to do some onions but not sure if there is the room. Tiny garden. We've got a very good organic farm shop just 3 mins away by car. Still thinking things through though. New area/new house, all change.
There must be room for onions, Lil, or at least chives. Square foot gardening is a real thing. I could split my seed packages with you, if it helps?
Chives in pots are a good idea.I grow a Welsh onion now,as I have White Rot in my ground.If you have never come across Welsh onions,they are a perennial bunching onion,that can be lifted and divided.Like a Spring onion,but better IMO.you can buy them here:

https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/prod ... lsh-onion/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

TY Arzosah pet, I've got tons of seeds just no ground to put them in :mrgreen:
I could do chives in pots round the front in the sun - I like the flowers. The other thing I'm thinking of is one of those Ikea shelf units, the outdoor ones in metal. There's a space against the big fence and it gets the sun.. could put a lot of pots on there. :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's something then, Lil. And absolutely, portable shelving to act as staging for plants, lovely :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Has to be up on shelves or hanging pots, because its in the corner of two fences and the sun doesn't hit the ground there for long but does higher up. If that makes sense :mrgreen:
Attachments
corner.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lil, you have more options than you know (I like the pic, by the way). RHS is here to help :) https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/ ... -for-shade Chives are on the list, but so is coriander, which I find really surprising. Have a read :)

In fact, once one of my new fences is finished, the one outside the back door, I'll plant it up with some of these.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm feeling *very* grumpy right now, hardly feeling like doing anything, but there's a lot I *do* need to do. So instead, I'm still not doing that lot, but I'm rearranging keys. New barrel to the front door has made this a genuine matter of urgency. So now I have one of those lanyards with my keys (front, back, shed), my sister's front door, assorted keys for my house, some little prepping doodads (screwdrivers, bottle opener shaped like a shark, a seatbelt cutter and a survival whistle) plus 3 flash drives with the majority of essential information from my computer :mrgreen: I have some of those little containers that go on keyrings, so I'll also put a couple of aspirin in one of those and stick it on the lanyard. That isn't "bug out to the woods" so much as "the bomb disposal unit have discovered an unexploded bomb from WWII 20 yards away, you have 5 minutes to get out". Which happens. My brain is insisting it happens more often than it does, as an excuse for spending my time doing this.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Same again for me.
Out for some shopping and spotted a whole chipboard kitchen in someone's front garden asked if I can have it plus local kitchen manufacturers skip plenty in their all in about 2 weeks worth of fire wood.
Free my favourite price.

Lots of smashing and bashing. .. lol
Fill er up jacko...
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Me three on the grumpiness. I'm coming out of the panic that came with my dad and his partner being taken to hospital with Covid. Dad came home last night (the old bugger didn't tell me though and I only found out after the palaver that is trying to contact the ward :roll: ) He sounds rubbish, but he's so much better than he was. His partner is still in hospital, but she started off much iller than him, so it's not surprising. She's doing quite well though.

I'm awaiting yet another shielding letter, so I need projects to keep my mind off the situation. I had mask making in the first lockdown. I'm thinking of small storage projects for my car, plus I fell down the Pinterest rabbit hole of Altoid tin EDC kits over the weekend :lol: I've also started early morning walks to get myself out of the house and get at least a bit of exercise.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I had no idea any herbs would grow in shade, magic 8-) Anything that needs strong sunlight I can do in pots around the front. The back is looking very sodden, I hope it hasn't bad drainage.
Re lockdown, I'm happy. I know so many people are totally sick of it and struggling though. But for me, it brings a sigh of relief that the NHS can get a break. They said our hosps here are coping ok but in another 3 weeks they wouldn't have been, so this is much needed. Just need put heads down and keep on bloody going. :mrgreen: