Mix and Match Covid Vaccination

Medical and Healthcare
Arzosah

Re: Mix and Match Covid Vaccination

Post by Arzosah »

scoobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pmI would imagine most people getting a vaccine from Monday in the UK will be the Oxford one. I doubt the Pfizer one will be used much now if at all.

If I was lucky enough to be offered the vaccine, I would happily have it. (I'm fairly close to the research and science side so I'm happy with the science and the process).
Both of those are good news to me, thanks scoobie. I'm in group 5, because of my age, the calculator that we played with on here recently said I'd be vaccinated in March ... we'll see. If I'm offered it, I'm going to take it; I'd prefer to wait a *little* bit longer, to be honest, but I'm not going to risk going to the back of the queue, especially if I'm offered the Oxford one. I know it's the Oxford one that arrived at my local hospital today.
jansman

Post by jansman »

From the British Medical Journal:

Coronavirus: BMJ urges NYT to correct vaccine 'mixing' article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55519042
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
seadog

Post by seadog »

So the NYT, a comic, has been advised to change it's report on the British Governments intention to allow untested Mix and Match of the Covid vaccines. The guidance provided by the Goverment, published by Public Health England, as kindly pointed out by Arzosah, clearly states that this process is acceptable, and if it is an acceptable practice, it will be implemented.
I come from a totally different background, but where testing of a product prior to release is paramount, to be given legal civil indemnity for a potential defective product must be every manufacturers dream - a license to print money.
My Partner on the other hand has had direct connection with the industries producing the vaccines. Both of us share the same concerns, and like others, will be watching.
I only posted this as I'm concerned that major short cuts have been made, putting people at risk, it's up to everyone to make their own decision on the direction they take.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

What short cuts have been made? I want facts.. Not opinions..
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:36 pm And you are ( I guess) classed as vulnerable? The very folks that need to be protected!

I am not knocking the vaccination programme, it is a natural progression after all. The testing etc. though is not thorough enough. As I have stated previously, the fastest vaccine ever to get to market, was the Mumps in 1967 took 4 years. The Covid took five minutes! I’ll wait thanks.
I am, but far down the totem pole. My Father is more at risk, especially now since his hospitalisation.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I know of accelerations, but not shortcuts, in the search for the vaccine.

1. No one had to work for months/years to get funding - money was being thrown at anything that had a chance.

2. Phases of the trial were done concurrently, not sequentially.

3. Oversight by the approving body was closer than usual during each stage of the vaccine development. So when it was formally submitted, it was already well known to them.

4. Many PhD students were pulled off/invited to leave, their PhD studies and work on the vaccine instead.

I think those four items together (and there may be more, but those are the ones I'm aware of) are fully capable of explaining the accelerated timescale we have. That's not to say that things won't go wrong, things *do*. For example, when I've had the ordinary flu vaccine at a pharmacy, they've told me to sit in their little waiting room for up to half an hour, to check for any side effects.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:24 pm I think those four items together (and there may be more, but those are the ones I'm aware of) are fully capable of explaining the accelerated timescale we have.
And they put unproven candidates into production on a use it or bin it basis.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

scoobie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm What short cuts have been made? I want facts.. Not opinions..
As far as I am aware no animal testing was done which is an important step.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Lemne wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:03 pm
scoobie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm What short cuts have been made? I want facts.. Not opinions..
As far as I am aware no animal testing was done which is an important step.
Not true. For example, Moderna did animal trials at the same time as human trials.

What was I saying about facts?
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm
scoobie wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pmI would imagine most people getting a vaccine from Monday in the UK will be the Oxford one. I doubt the Pfizer one will be used much now if at all.

If I was lucky enough to be offered the vaccine, I would happily have it. (I'm fairly close to the research and science side so I'm happy with the science and the process).
Both of those are good news to me, thanks scoobie. I'm in group 5, because of my age, the calculator that we played with on here recently said I'd be vaccinated in March ... we'll see. If I'm offered it, I'm going to take it; I'd prefer to wait a *little* bit longer, to be honest, but I'm not going to risk going to the back of the queue, especially if I'm offered the Oxford one. I know it's the Oxford one that arrived at my local hospital today.
My parents are also in the same group. My father was a Chief Biomedical scientist for 30+ years, he can't wait to have the vaccine!