What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:14 pm
PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 pm Izzy_mack, you had a power cut, we had no water for half an hour. Ok so half an hour is nothing, however I had no idea how long we would be w/o water coming from the mains so I opened a 2 litre bottle from the stores. 1 Litre went in the kettle for 2 cuppas and some hot water to wash a few bits up so I could make the tea, and the other litre went to cook the pasta for said meal. (I didn't want to use up the hot water from the tank, just in case the lack of water lasted a long while.) So my preps this week have involved checking out bottled water situation.
Back in 1990 , as newlyweds, we lost power and water for 5 days. After that, we kept spare water, puritabs ( we boiled snow) etc etc. Mind you, people were also tougher and remembered the three day week.

And on that subject it's the express but no smoke without fire

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/13 ... ackout-RTE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Spotted a whole chipboard kitchen in someone's front garden and kwick nock on the door asked if wanted then loaded and taken home bashed in to smaller bits and stacked in back garden plenty of off cuts from new kitchen too.

We'll chuffed.
Fill er up jacko...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Does chipboard burn ok?
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Burns very well but contains a lot glue so its safe use depends on your burner. Certainly wouldn't recommend in an open fire but a properly vented woodburner would be OK.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 am Does chipboard burn ok?
Burns like coal! Goes great in my burners too.. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Got a coal delivery this week we have 1500kg now. Picked up 20 white wood pallets from my friends work so just need to cut them up for firewood for the log burner. Also due a log delivery today 3 cube of hardwood to add to the woodshed so that’s heating sorted for winter.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm
diamond lil wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 am Does chipboard burn ok?
Burns like coal! Goes great in my burners too.. :D
I've burnt it myself , burns quickly but is easy to break up. I tend to keep the ashes from the fire for use in the garden once riddled to remove any bits of metal and so on. It's probably not necessary but i tend to keep the ashes from wood separate to the ashes from man made stuff like chipboard. The former i use on the garden and the latter gets mixed with sand for slab laying.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

If you break up chipboard kitchen type as you need it it can stay outside for quite a while as the plastic coating keeps it dry
The kitchen worktops are the best thick and burns for a long time I tend to put it on last thing at night for overnight heat.
I often have used kitchen fitters as a supply thay often take old kitchens away and have a skip in their yard and are usually happy for you to help yourself.
Fill er up jacko...
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm dehydrating cauliflower. Smells a bit iffy in mine today :cry:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Lemne wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:45 pm I'm dehydrating cauliflower. Smells a bit iffy in mine today :cry:
The end result being brown put me off, until I rehydrated it back and it turned white again :shock: :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.