What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yes ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

Things are okay here in Central West Scotland.

Went into several big supermarkets yesterday. Stock is sufficient.

Then again we are in tier3 at the moment might change if it goes to lockdown.

On first lockdown back in March You couldn't get toilet roll anywhere. I had a compressed roll in my prep bag. Came in handy for family. Did replace as soon as toilet roll became available.

As you can imagine I was the favourite parent :D
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Managed to do the vast majority of the Christmas shopping last weekend, I had predicted the lockdown coming and wanted to be ahead of the game, (we have 4 children) it’s a good job really because they are closing non essential shops and our local retail park now looks like the last days of Rome.

This week we will be topping up food stocks & preparing meal plans for the next month as we need to be careful as my wife is a part time hairdresser and isn’t allowed to work & isn’t entitled to any money due to not being self employed long enough.
The preps I worked on all summer are now coming into play, like all these things we plan and prepare hoping that we won’t need them but when we do, it’s good to have a safety net.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Prep M8

Post by Prep M8 »

The Green Man wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:21 pm Managed to do the vast majority of the Christmas shopping last weekend, I had predicted the lockdown coming and wanted to be ahead of the game, (we have 4 children) it’s a good job really because they are closing non essential shops and our local retail park now looks like the last days of Rome.

This week we will be topping up food stocks & preparing meal plans for the next month as we need to be careful as my wife is a part time hairdresser and isn’t allowed to work & isn’t entitled to any money due to not being self employed long enough.
The preps I worked on all summer are now coming into play, like all these things we plan and prepare hoping that we won’t need them but when we do, it’s good to have a safety net.
The Green Man. Good idea in stocking up for Christmas.

I am hopefully moving house in mid Nov. So will hopefully stock up when I move to my new place. I have 2 teenagers who think eating revolves around fast food restaurants. They are in for a shock if central Scotland goes into lockdown. :D
bobble

Post by bobble »

Been shopping and filling gaps in food preps. Topped up my petrol tank. Checked I had enough batteries for torches etc.
Keeping an eye on the news and trying to see if I've missed anything!
jansman

Post by jansman »

We are all sorted for Winter here. Main thing is,we have plenty of coal! I hate Christmas with every fibre of my being,but I don't labour the point with the family ( my wife is aware that a 70 hour week prior to the Glorified Sunday Dinner does make me a bit grumpy).

My wife has sorted Christmas via the web. We are a little more crowded at the moment,and my suggestion that we don't need more crap to store afterwards has been heeded.Therefore,its perfume ,spirits and the likes,as the resulting waste can be easily recycled.

Food won't be an issue,spuds ,veg and a brace of pheasant from last weeks shoot.Don't know why folks make such hard work of it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Completely with you on hating Christmas Jansman, proper Bah Humbug I am, but I do make it nice for the family as best I can. Often have to rush out to work after feeding the hoardes on Christmas Day which doesnt help. Almost sorted for Christmas here too, apart from the fresh veggies for the main event. New stove is all installed, both chimneys swept, metal weighed in to add a few pounds to the Christmas fund and the cabin etc are full of wood. Husband returned from work tonight with a truck full of wood from his customer who was demolishing garden buildings with at least two more truck loads to follow. Oil tank is full, stocks of diesel replenished and the new freezer installed in the garage. Just waiting for a bit of time off work now so that I can do a major dehydration marathon of some veggies and have a pie making day.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:56 pm Completely with you on hating Christmas Jansman, proper Bah Humbug I am, but I do make it nice for the family as best I can. Often have to rush out to work after feeding the hoardes on Christmas Day which doesnt help. Almost sorted for Christmas here too, apart from the fresh veggies for the main event. New stove is all installed, both chimneys swept, metal weighed in to add a few pounds to the Christmas fund and the cabin etc are full of wood. Husband returned from work tonight with a truck full of wood from his customer who was demolishing garden buildings with at least two more truck loads to follow. Oil tank is full, stocks of diesel replenished and the new freezer installed in the garage. Just waiting for a bit of time off work now so that I can do a major dehydration marathon of some veggies and have a pie making day.
That rocks! Sorted.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Not doing too badly. My freezer is stocked to the gunnels, and if I'd had a bit more time, I'd have got even more to carry on dehydrating. Couldn't fit it in, but I'm accepting that. Finished stocking up on tins and jars too - to be honest, I've well overrun my storage space, including behind the books on the big bookshelf. And its a good job nobody will be staying in the spare room any time soon ... I have plans for the lockdown - everything from writing out Christmas cards to the diy gubbins to put some tiles over the little washbasin in the toilet ... I'm going to live on my preps now, although the local infection rate is so low, nationally speaking (about 80 per 100,000). I'm going to use veg I've previously dehydrated - I can order more if really need be - and regular sprouting of seeds I've put by specifically for that purpose.
Working hard on the front border underneath the new fence too: I *will* get rid of all the weed roots! Next year, herbs will be planted for me, and bee-friendly plants for the rest of it.
In the back garden - can't do too much yet, but my lovely fencing man has just quoted to replace the long side fence. Then its full speed ahead, though I might get the raised beds in place before he comes in, depends how long it takes to get the panelling (he has high standards! Thats why I use him :) ).
Redneck Jake

Post by Redneck Jake »

I booked 3 weeks off during October and spent it working on rebuilding my pickup truck. So far I've welded up new floor pans, sills and other rotten bits and pieces, stripped the bed and the front end, installed a new slam panel, installed new wings, serviced it, repaired loads of little niggly broken bits here and there and resprayed the cab in Raptor liner. The tub, grill and rear bumper are currently in the garage curing, another couple of days and I can hopefully put them back on.

Still got to spray the other side of the tailgate as I had limited space to paint and the wheel arches too, trouble with Raptor is a full week for the paint to properly cure. New front brakes, a new fuel sender unit, new fuel lines, paint the chassis rails, relocate the breather pipes for both diffs, flush and refill both diffs and transfer case, rebuild front hubs, soundproof the cab, new glow plugs and then she'll probably be back on the road.

Trouble is with working 50+ hour weeks every week I don't have huge volumes of time to do the work, hence using all my annual leave! Now I've still got work to do but no time off, uh-oh! Hopefully she'll be completed before December but I won't know for certain until it's back together.
FABER.EST.SUAE.QUISQUE.FORTUNAE