What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by grenfell »

My other half is doing her best to get rid of stuff to clear up space as well. Not necassarily from a prepping point of view although as she's selling most of it the money comes in handy.
Going back to the firewood , this week i've brought back home more oak and hornbeam from an ongoing job and a pine built in wardrobe. No quarms about cutting the latter up although as a joiner i could see a use for the panels ...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Checking and topping up stocks this week. Had to throw out some onion powder as a newer packet had some damage and needed to move to the kitchen container. The older stuff did not smell so good but only 209g was list.
Made a curry with the end of a pack of tomato powder. The Man didn't notice so a win and I now know how much I need to use.
Also snaffled 12Kg of gluten free Buckwheat flour. This is a big win for us as normal flour is a no no as is normal GF flour because of the corn and potato content.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Switching my current account.
The reasoning is very few current accounts pay more then 1% (come to think of it deposit accounts don't pay all that much either) and those that do have loads of restrictions and only pay up to a small part of the balance (as little as £500 and not really more then £2000).
Well, I can get £100 to £125 for switching and can do that one or two times a year At no cost to myself, I make that a win...... You can buy a lot of beans and bog roll for that sort of money :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

This morning I have organised my car boot kit. Basically just bunged it all tidily into a plastic, lidded box! :lol: Then cut and split enough firewood for the next month. Next week and the week after, I shall do the same. That means we will have fuel ready, and will see us through December, as that month I will be working 60 hour weeks. Unfortunately. :( How I loathe Christmas. I always have a log pile ready for emergency too, just in case I am ill or injured. No way my wife can swing a maul! :lol: Solid fuel is our primary heat source, so it is an important prep.

Later this week, as we have a surplus of eggs, I am going to do some pickling- I love ‘em! We have red cabbages and beetroot in the garden, so some of those can have a swim in vinegar too.

Tuesday I am shooting. I have been invited by the local squire, who happens to be one of my customers. It’s awhile since I attended a driven shoot, and I am looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be a pheasant or two for the freezer. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm dehydrating a Wonky veg box I got cheap from Morrison's for £3. Made a beef stew from it and then diced and am dehydrating the rest for a soup mix.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've been to Morrisons today and must have dropped in at the right time as got loads of bargains. Carrots are being dehydrated and tomorrow I am bottling pears and making pear chutney.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:32 pm I'm dehydrating a Wonky veg box I got cheap from Morrison's for £3. Made a beef stew from it and then diced and am dehydrating the rest for a soup mix.
Is that one of the 'toogoodtogo' boxes? I've never been able to snag one of those in spite of having the app on my phone.

https://toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb

Don't forget to blanch carrots and some other veges or they can go black... As I discovered after losing a sack of carrots.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 pm
Lemne wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:32 pm I'm dehydrating a Wonky veg box I got cheap from Morrison's for £3. Made a beef stew from it and then diced and am dehydrating the rest for a soup mix.
Is that one of the 'toogoodtogo' boxes? I've never been able to snag one of those in spite of having the app on my phone.

https://toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb

Don't forget to blanch carrots and some other veges or they can go black... As I discovered after losing a sack of carrots.
I've been trying to get a toogoodtogo box from Morrison's for months but they never have any. I'm pretty sure they go to staff. This was just a box of wonky veg for £3. There was a decent sized swede as well which I'd already taken out before taking a picture. I haven't seen one since.
123175027_347626429832519_8964104319187265229_n.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Daily life has kept me away from my computer. But ... I have a fence! And a side gate that opens (and locks!). And I have a front gate! Very pleased :) I emptied as much as I could out of the downstairs, because I wasn't sure if the guys would need to come inside (because I didn't have a working side gate) ... but two big guys, with a shovel and a stick, got the dratted gate open in about 10 seconds. They repaired it and upgraded it - it may be enough of a fix, but the wood that was used by another firm was warped, and it may never close well enough.

I also had a big supermarket delivery yesterday - and about 20% was cancelled, never been that much before. That contained a toilet roll offer (you gotta love Asda) so I popped online quickly and ordered another scent, same offer. Of course, both sets were delivered - 36 toilet rolls in one delivery! So now I look like a hoarder, grrr. They cancelled my coffee too, but didn't find anything else, which is a shame.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Ok. This is obtuse, so I apologise in advance. Been feeling a bit low and needed reminding that we are so fortunate.

So tonight we had a delicious Indian takeaway, washed down with a delish cold Cobra beer.

How is that a prep? Well it was, in my head.

It was 'enjoyed' with a totally focused thought on preparedness:

It was a joy! Such joys are so easily overlooked and taken for granted. I've realised a value in collecting such joys. Prep against depression by embracing every joy, not just with anti-depressants. There is joy everywhere if we look for it. Too easy to lose sight of that.

First of all, it was an exercise in locking in the memory of my 'happy place'. When TSHTF, every memory of this happy place will be a precious release. Don't underestimate the value of having a happy place to fall back to. We can get so terribly engrossed in the current 5h1tty situation that we lose sight of how lucky we are now.... and will be again.

Enjoying it by the light of a few tealights, I felt a sort of premonition of hunkering down. It was almost spiritual.

Next, it was a recipe conundrum. I could knock out an acceptable Dopiaza, given the correct ingredients and a stable internet. But as I loaded my fork, at every step, I was preparing my stockpile thoughts. My head was spinning. I saw the onions and peppers were chopped in cubes and realised that my dried stuff was 'the wrong shape'. I could see that I had some work to do getting stockpile 'meats' and soya in place of the meat and I was super conscious that my naan bread and poppadom making skills just don't cut it and I don't have enough curry sauces in stock.

Even drinking the Cobra beer, I realised that we could make something different to our regular brew, or even buy some in.

In all, I came away with a highly focused to-do list.

Objective for the weekend is to prep for a reasonable replica of this feast from what is in long term stores and augment those stores as required. I know we have to compromise if the world as we know it ends, but with a bit of thought, we won't be need to live on gruel, which many of us prepared for as a first step.. My cooking skills need development.

So. Watch this space for a recipe for an Indian feast from a few tins and jars. It might be rubbish, but it shall be done.

Meanwhile.....

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=joyous+kitten ... &ia=images
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong