What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Winterprep

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Winterprep »

Servicing the generator,oil change etc. Charging up the 12V battery banks and discharge testing.
Sweeping the chimney and doing a stock take of the chest freezer.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Picked up a selection of apples from various nearby homes who are still putting out their excess apples for folks to help themselves to. We have some very kind people here abouts who seem to get gluts of apples most years. So I have been peeling, chopping and vac sealing then freezing them.

Also checking finances and working out how much to spend preparing for winter - we need some new windows that we have been putting off buying but not sure how many more winters they will stand (particularly our dorma bedroom one) Stich in time saving nine and all that. If we go into lockdown again and then it does totally break, that could be an issue. That then got me onto checking the plastic sheeting I kept from our mattress when it was delivered. I figured that would be useful to cover a broken window as its really thick and durable but does let light in. Hubby didn't know I kept it until neighbour borrowed it to cover her patio slabs while the cement was setting in case of rain that evening. Plastic sheeting is a useful thing to keep indeed! Many uses. We have an old protected oak tree just outside our boundary in the back garden but if we get a high wind, its always possible that debris could fall and break our conservatory window. I like to be prepared :D
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I'm dehydrating a big bag of peppers to store. It's a bit disheartening when you see what you get at the end from a 2.5kg bag lol
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Definitely keep thick plastic sheeting and tarps. Our bedroom window - inc frame - fell in during a blizzard many years ago and we had nothing to cover the hole with :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm Definitely keep thick plastic sheeting and tarps. Our bedroom window - inc frame - fell in during a blizzard many years ago and we had nothing to cover the hole with :shock:
I’ll second that. Tarps, timber, fixings and a thousand other things in the workshop. Our returning daughter has pretty much turned her room into a bed sit. Final job: new tv on the wall. Bless her, she tried to sort it... Dad to the rescue. Plasterboard fixings, done! Fit mounting plate to tv, oh oh! None of the supplied screws fit. Up to workshop and job done! Door latch to bedroom has been a bit stiff. On the way out it failed. Good job I carry spares.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Easternwind

Post by Easternwind »

Creating a new get home bag/ edc for the car its a camo bumbag from a old molle rucksack where i can get plenty stuff in and will fit nicely under yhe passenger seat of the car
Everyday is a good day when you are the right side of the grass
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Lemne wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:35 am I'm dehydrating a big bag of peppers to store. It's a bit disheartening when you see what you get at the end from a 2.5kg bag lol
It sure does. :(

After a years growing work and harvesting 20 plants, it looks even worse with chilies.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

We are sorting all our clothes out and selling or taking to the charity shop. It is very liberating and means we free up some space.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm We are sorting all our clothes out and selling or taking to the charity shop. It is very liberating and means we free up some space.
Doing the same with my fiction books, three holdalls worth didn't make the cut.

It now means that I have my reference books all in one room :)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Finally getting around to binning old stocks and replenishing.

I got a bit of heat on here a while back for wastage. Quite right but my personal circumstances are complicated and I need to buy, file, store, forget.

Lots of boxes of tinned/dried foods that are well beyond their date (8 years+) that need to be cycled round.

When I’m back from hols, I will try and find some time to cook up old and compare with new to see if things really do last as long as we hope they do...