What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Dutch_Uncle

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Cheers cbp125. I'll dig out a brown paper bag and keep it handy in case of panic attack and I'll look them up.
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

cbp125 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am nethertan foundary make cast iron cookware in the uk, it is superb quality but make sure you are seated before you see the price...
Well, I've had a look and you certainly weren't exaggerating there, were you?

By Jingo! I'm tempted to ring authorities and report their website because it's obviously being used as cover for some sort of human trafficking operation like the Wayfair furniture people were supposed to be doing. :o

They shouldn't be allowed to put prices like that up on the internet. Thankfully I had warning, but unwary Northerners like myself might stumble across it by accident and be shocked speechless and senseless for weeks afterwards.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

I looked!

I didn’t think the prices were too bad, :|
considering the apparent quality.
I feel I may have betrayed my Northern ideals and may have become without my knowledge a member of the “middle class” :shock:
What’s next? Avacado’s? an Apple Watch?
A cafetière?
having said that my wife has a fetish for LeCruset cookware which makes everything else look reasonably priced!

I would rather pay more money for something if it’s quality and lasts 10 times longer than the usual tat.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Dutch_Uncle wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:11 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 amWelding gloves.... Find a welding shop / engineering place usually on the smaller industrial estates... So many different qualities of glove from the 50 year old dead cow hide that's about as Flexible as a sheet of tin and you can't feel the trigger to the nice and soft you can't tell by photograph
Cheers Andy. Will do. :)
I'm just after a leather pair following advice on using them for outdoor dutch oven cooking.

Look at the little symbols on the gloves for use as an oven glove the 2nd number will be important (contact heat transmission)

https://guidegloves.com/en/knowledge/standards/en-407

However a proper pair of industrial oven gauntlets will probably be much better been designed for the job

https://www.workwear.co.uk/coolskin-hea ... gtx20.html
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The Netherton prices are definitely cause for hyperventilation - and I'm a Southerner!
I was eyeing up the Petromax dutch oven range last year at the Wilderness Gathering. Prices are much nearer my pocket depth but with the amount of camping and outdoors cooking that has not happened for us this year, I can't really justify the houseroom for something that I can't easily use in the kitchen as well.
https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/petromax-462-c.asp
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

The Green Man wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:36 am I looked!

I didn’t think the prices were too bad, :|
considering the apparent quality.
I feel I may have betrayed my Northern ideals and may have become without my knowledge a member of the “middle class” :shock:
What’s next? Avacado’s? an Apple Watch?
A cafetière?
having said that my wife has a fetish for LeCruset cookware which makes everything else look reasonably priced!

I would rather pay more money for something if it’s quality and lasts 10 times longer than the usual tat.

Agreed on the general principle of 'you get what you pay for' The Green Man, but £500 is nearer to a deposit on a three bedroom terraced house where I live than it is to a Dutch oven.

I'm still reeling.
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:27 am Look at the little symbols on the gloves for use as an oven glove the 2nd number will be important (contact heat transmission)

https://guidegloves.com/en/knowledge/standards/en-407

However a proper pair of industrial oven gauntlets will probably be much better been designed for the job

https://www.workwear.co.uk/coolskin-hea ... gtx20.html
That's excellent, Andy. Thank you.
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am The Netherton prices are definitely cause for hyperventilation - and I'm a Southerner!
I was eyeing up the Petromax dutch oven range last year at the Wilderness Gathering. Prices are much nearer my pocket depth but with the amount of camping and outdoors cooking that has not happened for us this year, I can't really justify the houseroom for something that I can't easily use in the kitchen as well.
https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/petromax-462-c.asp
Thanks GillyBee. Now we're talking.
Thanks for all the advice and links folks. I'm much obliged to you all.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have just shown Mrs J that foundry website,and asked if she thought it was good value.Now I know that we do need some new pans,as the ones we have now are well worn.We paid a lot of money about 15 years ago ( so I am informed).My dear wife has put in an order,as she thinks they are a cracking product for the price. Bang goes new carbon carp pole! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

The Green Man wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:36 am having said that my wife has a fetish for LeCruset cookware which makes everything else look reasonably priced!
I bought a complete set whilst serving in Cyprus, tax free 20 years ago. Most is still unused as I've aged and can't lift the bloody things. :roll: :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.