What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
cbp125

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by cbp125 »

nethertan foundary make cast iron cookware in the uk, it is superb quality but make sure you are seated before you see the price...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Given that I am awaiting Covid test results,( I have Bronchitis!) I have time on my hands. So I have started clearing the garden and polytunnel. Harvested a grand pile of marrows and Winter Squash, and one or two more still to get.
BBBE1CFC-057B-4A2E-8820-2D575DD5B0FF.jpeg

That’ll keep us going over Winter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got to stop using my phone for photos. Never the right way up!

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Wondered what I was looking at! Well today I got another Wholesfoods delivery; porridge oats, brown sugar, sultanas, maple syrup and cranberries. I make a lot of flapjacks :twisted: Yesterday was Costco, that one was dried milk. coffee beans, and a load of (bloody expensive :shock: ) vitamins.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm clearing space in my second bedroom - I've found a bit more storage space. Also did it in the understairs cupboard: found a *very* old tube of filler, external use possible - so I filled in some gaps in the mortar of my weatherward wall, below the damp course. Big, too - 3", going right through to the cavity wall. Grrr. The builders that were supposed to do it two years ago only did *above* the damp course. Shoddy.

I had one of those two kilo (?) tins of butterbeans, from the first lockdown - decided to use them, because if I *need* them, they have to be used at once. So I used a couple of portions, and stuck the rest in the freezer. Ordinary tins give most of a meal, that works well.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've spent a frustrating day preparing to put up some more shelving but never actually getting anything up as the brackets needed 3 different lengths of screws. Got every size but the one we want etc. Wood wasn't right etc. Running in the morning so hopefully get some up later tomorrow. On the up side Morrisons have 1lt Gordons Gin on offer so the chance of my ever bugging out has gone very much smaller.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tomorrow I shall be putting up suspended shelving in the polytunnel, and planting lettuce ( Winter Density).Vegetable planting is already planned for next year!

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Cleared the larger outdoor tomatoes and brought the green ones in to ripen on the windowsill. The temperature in the greenhouse is dropping enough at night now that the chilli peppers also need the winter treatment.
Prairie Fire plant brought indoors for the kitchen windowsill as it is small enough to sit there for the winter. Cheyenne goes in the bathroom to overwinter. It is an F1 so I take spring cuttings instead of starting from seed.
Carolina Reapers have lots of green peppers but very few ripe ones and the woodlice seem to like nibbling holes in them. I have picked these green and they are now dehydrating along with the ripe Numex Twighlights, Cheyennes and rest of the Prairie Fires.

We like hot chillies chez GillBee as you may have guessed. The Carolina Reapers are too hot to use unless they are diluted somehow. Mr GB was tempted by them being one of the hottest chilli varieties ever. I dont think I'll grow them again. The plants are also too big in the greenhouse and they are very late to produce.

We also reviewed the success or otherwise of the tomato varieties. The stand out winners this year are Galina, Black Russian and Legend. Urbikany gets points for being incredibly early but Skykomish has been a dud 2 years in a row. I have saved seed for next year from the heritage toms and chillies. The spring seed shortages make this seem a very wise prep.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sorting out the wife's car for MOT day 3 (well part days )

Rear shockers one bush was fubar and the other had begun to mist oil undeg the shroud
Screenshot_20200926-215559.png
New Lidl battery windy gun was a god send undoing rusting 15 year old nuts with no drama

Hopefully the MOT god's will smile in about 2 weeks time
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 amWelding gloves.... Find a welding shop / engineering place usually on the smaller industrial estates... So many different qualities of glove from the 50 year old dead cow hide that's about as Flexible as a sheet of tin and you can't feel the trigger to the nice and soft you can't tell by photograph
Cheers Andy. Will do. :)
I'm just after a leather pair following advice on using them for outdoor dutch oven cooking.