Gadgets everywhere

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Lemne

Gadgets everywhere

Post by Lemne »

I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
jansman

Re: Gadgets everywhere

Post by jansman »

Lemne wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Lemne wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm I have a friend who has just about everything automated and working from his phone it seems. This gives me the heebee geebees. I in my 50's and understand tech but I've always had an irrational fear that some day technology is going to get more intelligent then we think it will. If he loses the use of his phone and internet then his whole house is completely useless. What is wrong with knobs and switches or am I just being old.
Could not agree more! My youngest has just split up from her husband. They had a great big , internet controlled, mini- mansion. Now she is back to ours; coal, wood and actually turning lights on! :lol:

Hope she left having changing all the passwords and retaining internet wide control..... Ohhh 3am time to set the central heating to 300°c :twisted:

It is getting to the point where every household device is becoming "smart" and knobs and switches are dying out in favour of touch screens
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Hope she left having changing all the passwords and retaining internet wide control..... Ohhh 3am time to set the central heating to 300°c :twisted:

It is getting to the point where every household device is becoming "smart" and knobs and switches are dying out in favour of touch screens
Not in this house!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Not in this house!
Even the ruddy washing machine / fridge freezer you try and find one with a clockwork program knob or a fridge with capillary tube dial operated thermostat all blinking soft touch buttons and a row of led lights
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

A lot of these new things are internet enabled allowing for hacking and all the attendant problems associated with it. Just pure laziness
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Totally agree, don’t get me wrong, we have “devices” etc at home but nothing that we can’t turn off or live without, certainly nothing that controls our home.

We don’t have a smart meter and won’t be having one either, I just feel like a foreign power being able to hack our gas or electricity supply is too much of a risk.
"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Between hacking, and the distinct possibility of losing my phone somewhere, no financial accounts are linked to my phone, not at all. A kindle I bought has Alexa, but I've researched a way to turn it off. And I tape over the selfie camera.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I like technology. I have been in it all my working life; telephones from dial phones through TACS to GSM/3G/4G/5G network infrastructure.
I built a light controller to turn my lounge lamp on at sunset just for the fun of it but, really, it's just as easy to press a button or throw a switch.
I'm not, like some of you UTTER LUDDITES*, against technology but, for me, there has to be a need.

*love you all really
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

This thread is nuts!

Are you genuinely worried that because a washing machine has lots of red lights and an electronic control, you are at risk? Surely electricity continuity is the bigger risk to your standard of living? Or water supply? Or ability to buy detergent?

That internet-of-things will be used to subvert you? How? A vicious strobe light effect in your kitchen?

A phone with a banking app doesn’t mean your phone can magic your money away. There are precisely zero cases of this. But hundreds of millions stolen through theft plus other related scams where people literally volunteer to give their money away to fraudsters.

This really feels like the wrong place to focus prepping energy.

Genuine question: what am I missing? Is it worth a thread to offer up concerns that could be debated and hopefully rebutted with knowledge, facts, and sensibilities?