What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Saps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Saps »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 pm There's one good thing about illness - it takes away all your energy so you have none to spare for drama :mrgreen:
Oh, you should see my customers ... "Did you disinfect this pen?" and "why do I have to use this pen?" and "Do you have to touch my ID?" (yes I have, I can't see a mile away what on it and the reflection does the rest) ... drama every day in the post office here ;)
---
Greetings, Saps!
---
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 pm jenny, definitely get the book! I've read loads about the home front and wartime in general, but this was the first one ever written by somebody young who wasn't really into history but who just wanted to try something different. She went off the rails after about a month and went out with friends for a meal - then was ill, and realised that wartime plain food was much better for her health. And she was surprised that sitting quietly at night knitting and listening to radio was so much more satisfying that watching telly or going online. And she seems to have liked to cooking bit too - I hate cooking :mrgreen:
I'm reading it now. I was SHOCKED by the decision of Day#89. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Though quality food was available for a long time, there were many things that struck me: The pre-awareness that trouble was coming: The immense focus on food and diet: But most of all, the suggestion that the authorities might put in place 'food marshals' who would distribute food.... Very possibly by tearing it away from 'hoarders/preppers' :o :evil: :evil:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 pm There's one good thing about illness - it takes away all your energy so you have none to spare for drama :mrgreen:
So true :mrgreen: although there were a few times I opened my mouth when I'd formerly have kept it shut, and all hell happened :twisted:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm I've been laying down some longer stores of food. Dehydrated 5kg of mixed peppers. Prepared and vac packed some chilli peppers. Onions in tights strung up in the attic (nice and cool). Garlic braides strung up. Still working through bulk herbs and spices vac packing into smaller packs. Flour is almost through the freezer but had another bag delivered yesterday so more to go. Next is some more shelving in the attic.
Beware. Temperature can swing wildly in a loft, as I discovered to my dismay. Invest in one of these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/FTVOGUE-Portab ... B07K6LSDK4

Also, critters love perishable foods up there.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

Raiding local skips for wood. Lots of building projects round my way and lots of nice clean wood free to collect! Softwood, but it’s free and it burns warm enough! 😂
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Lemne wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm I've been laying down some longer stores of food. Dehydrated 5kg of mixed peppers. Prepared and vac packed some chilli peppers. Onions in tights strung up in the attic (nice and cool). Garlic braides strung up. Still working through bulk herbs and spices vac packing into smaller packs. Flour is almost through the freezer but had another bag delivered yesterday so more to go. Next is some more shelving in the attic.
Beware. Temperature can swing wildly in a loft, as I discovered to my dismay. Invest in one of these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/FTVOGUE-Portab ... B07K6LSDK4

Also, critters love perishable foods up there.
We are going to fit a temperature controlled exhaust fan over the winter but it doesn't get that hot tbh. I have 8 large vent tiles in the roof along the roof line and soffit vents so there is a constant draw through. I'm in a first floor flat with no outside space so it's this or nothing for me. I have everything vac packed and inside sealed boxes at the moment. I'm looking at getting the food grade airtight boxes at the mo. I'll bring that forward if critters like loft though :)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Lemne wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:37 am We are going to fit a temperature controlled exhaust fan over the winter but it doesn't get that hot tbh. I have 8 large vent tiles in the roof along the roof line and soffit vents so there is a constant draw through. I'm in a first floor flat with no outside space so it's this or nothing for me. I have everything vac packed and inside sealed boxes at the moment. I'm looking at getting the food grade airtight boxes at the mo. I'll bring that forward if critters like loft though :)
Excellent Idea. My loft is way under-ventilated especially at the ridge. In summer I can feel the temperature gradient as I climb in and it gets stiflingly hot at head height. I'm confident it will be cool enough over winter, though.
I had moth lavae gobble up a damaged pack of oats and wasps that actually gobbled up some of my cardboard boxes.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Does unblocking the kitchen drain sewer pipe count..

Tried last night got down to my arm pit in the kitchen gully and couldn't unblock it..

Borrowed my dad's Lidl drain Jetting hose which we adapted to fit both of our pressure washers (we both have Stihl mine cost me £40 second hand and use the same fitments :D ) 5 minutes setting pressure washer up fitting pipe massaging it round the u bend of the gully squeeze trigger and it rocketed down into the sewer and the water vanished in about 3 seconds

Took longer to clean up the mess :?

Got a new jump lead set from Lidl tonight I lent mine to someone and they came back melted (they replaced them with some AEG branded ones off Amazon the clamps just come to bits when squeezed I only discovered in the car park when Mrs A's car wouldn't start )

Also got a cordless impact wrench :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Dutch_Uncle

Post by Dutch_Uncle »

I've got quite the online shopping list to do this week, biting the bullet and splashing out on some kit that I may need if conditions deteriorate.
I hate online shopping because I every time I commit to a purchase I can't help feeling that I've just lost my socks and shoes to a shifty and unscrupulous camel trader in a seedy Afghan bazaar.
I'm after a Dutch oven with tools and tripod, a cast iron skillet, welding gloves, a properly sized (this time) tap for my water storage tank, a neck knife, a tactical pen, a spare set of black filters for my Berkey, a couple of mini Sawyer filters, ferro rods and some other bits and bobs.
If anyone has any reliable tested links for bargains in these departments, I'd be very much obliged.
I'm getting palpitations in my wallet.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Dutch_Uncle wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:13 am I've got quite the online shopping list to do this week, biting the bullet and splashing out on some kit that I may need if conditions deteriorate.
I hate online shopping because I every time I commit to a purchase I can't help feeling that I've just lost my socks and shoes to a shifty and unscrupulous camel trader in a seedy Afghan bazaar.
I'm after a Dutch oven with tools and tripod, a cast iron skillet, welding gloves, a properly sized (this time) tap for my water storage tank, a neck knife, a tactical pen, a spare set of black filters for my Berkey, a couple of mini Sawyer filters, ferro rods and some other bits and bobs.
If anyone has any reliable tested links for bargains in these departments, I'd be very much obliged.
I'm getting palpitations in my wallet.

Welding gloves.... Find a welding shop / engineering place usually on the smaller industrial estates... So many different qualities of glove from the 50 year old dead cow hide that's about as Flexible as a sheet of tin and you can't feel the trigger to the nice and soft you can't tell by photograph
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine