Hello from Austria

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Saps

Hello from Austria

Post by Saps »

Hello everyone!

My name is Stefan, 42, living in Vienna, Austria. I've been prepping for quite some time without knowing that it was called prepping. I work at the Austrian Postal Service, have 3 cats (or they have me?), engaged to a Star Trek Fan like me.

Prepping so far means a stock of toilet paper (cliché!), rice, pasta, UHT milk and so on. I have an EDC with me of which I hope is relative good stocked (medicine, plaster, zip ties, rescue blanket …).

My fiancee looks Always "happy" when I bring something new but in the end she was happy not to go outside when the pandemic hit Austria.

So, that's the first part from me. I'm looking forward to participate here!

PS: You might wonder why I'm joining here - the reason is because there is a prepper scene in Austria and Germany but they're widely on the wrong side of the political color scheme.

PPS: English isn't my first language and I try to enhance my skills with every post, every word, every sentence. But if I make some typos or have grammatical errors - please be aware of that fact :)
---
Greetings, Saps!
---
Arzosah

Re: Hello from Austria

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Saps! A man after my own heart ... prepping (especially toilet paper!), Star Trek and cats :mrgreen: utter bliss.

Live Long And Prosper.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Welcome. It will be good to get a European perspective. Also, your English is very good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Your English is probably better than mine :mrgreen: Hi from Scotland!
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm Your English is probably better than mine :mrgreen: Hi from Scotland!
At work we have a baker from Newcastle ( that’s bad enough) and another from Glasgow. The pair of them may as well be talking Swahili!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You haven't lived until you've heard a Hawick accent...
"see you" = sigh yow.
"you & me" = yow & my.
It's HORRIBLE :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:54 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You haven't lived until you've heard a Hawick accent...
"see you" = sigh yow.
"you & me" = yow & my.
It's HORRIBLE :lol:
We all have an accent. I am ( near) Leicester. That has its own accent and dialect. Out in the villages, the natives ( and they are getting fewer) speak with obviously different accents. Even those a mile apart across the river. But as I say , the natives are getting fewer.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome Stefan

Don't worry about the English most of us English are bad at the technicalities (or lazy) of the language :lol:

The same as any language local words can get confusing , if you ever visit the port city of visit Kingston upon Hull you might as well throw your English dictionary in the bin :lol: I'm only 30km away ... and well I could use an interpreter sometimes :?

Cats are a good prepper tool we have one that kills anything that scuttles (rats mice) and is currently enjoying herself with the fly (blue bottle) invasion

As most of us will say before you spend any more money (who doesn't like shiney equipment) :mrgreen: get a note pad and get a list together and do a "risk assessment" from that develop a kit list ... Then decide what's actually essential. .

Take what I'm guessing is a regular occurrence for you . Winter = snow. .

In the UK 10mm = instant panic and grid lock of all main roads .. this winter is going to be a big test as bad snow + covid shortages will cause issues..

So winter / all season tyres (both get funny looks here as it's not "normal" ) need 2 more on my car as they are getting low...

Warm clothing

Car kit

Home: back up lighting and heating and power failure stuff

Work warm clothing and shoe chains

For example then pick kit accordingly start small then plan ahead

Take back up lighting.... You and other family members have a £/€ 5 head torch each and a pack of spare batteries your well ahead of most neighbors :tinfoil

Then you get prepping silly ;) and have solar lights / gas lanterns/ petrol lanterns / kerosine lanterns/ Candie lanterns + 101 torches :tinfoil :oops:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Saps

Post by Saps »

Thanks everyone :)
---
Greetings, Saps!
---