What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

Three weeks housekeeping :mrgreen:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

On the graphs that are published online, you can really see it creeping upwards now - and R is above 1. Though its very regional - my county has figures that are almost as low as Scotland's, in spite of being so near London. I think it's going to explode by the end of September.

And even though the hospitalisation rates are going down, while the case numbers are going up, I'm certain in myself that that's mostly because of the ages of those catching the virus - fatalities and long-form complications are still as bad as they ever were per age group, I believe :(

I'm stuffing the house with food and cleaning supplies - just had my Healthy Supplies delivery, and got another Asda order coming up next week.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yes, bit suspicious that nowhere is the age demographic of positive tests being published.
I agree that its probably spreading around the working age group at ptesent and will work its way out into the more vulnerable in probably a short period of time.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am Yes, bit suspicious that nowhere is the age demographic of positive tests being published.
I agree that its probably spreading around the working age group at ptesent and will work its way out into the more vulnerable in probably a short period of time.
Government and 'Experts' are being so damned dismissive of the risk of kids being a breeding ground for the infection, which they bring home to infect the oldies. Some 'expert' on BBC news this morning brushed that off with a tiny, incidental study that showed a very few child to teacher infections, but not a glimmer of the child to mum or child to Nana infection. He basically said, if there are older folk at home, and they are concerned, maybe they should stay away from the school kids. Durrrr. It's NOT enough that most kids will be asymptomatic and will barely get ill, if they are able to spread the disease, that must be addressed. Asymptomatic Infected kids = silent killers.
Somebody somewhere must have stats with suffixes. R for kids, R for teens, R for oldies, R for carers, etc. It's hard enough to find any published R rate. But if infection count is increasing, then R>0 Dammit!

Rant over, sorry.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I've got 32kg of bread flour arriving today. I already have around 40 already. In my defence I make my own bread and bread products and have done for years so was annoyed when it all ran out and I couldn't. I'm going to vac pack this lot but run it through the freezer for 3 days and then use it as my back up flour for longer storage.

Also the building inspector has been so I can now start on putting shelving up in the attic and organising my stash. I can't wait to get it sorted so I can see where I'm at. I have a list but it's not like seeing it laid out so I can see any gaps. Busy weekend.
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

I've been getting ready for the return to school. That's if I can get them to go! Trying to build cleaning supplies and extra hand gel. I've made more masks and still more to go. Entrance cleared and ready to sanitize when kids come home.
Rotating stores and trying to menu plan around it (although I'm sat surrounded by tins and jars not knowing where to put them. Mostly stored in date order not food groups and lacking space for better organisation.
Concerned about the return to school, but know I need to send them.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jillybean wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:50 pm I've been getting ready for the return to school. That's if I can get them to go! Trying to build cleaning supplies and extra hand gel. I've made more masks and still more to go. Entrance cleared and ready to sanitize when kids come home.
Concerned about the return to school, but know I need to send them.
I do feel for parents of children of school age in this situation. The sanitising-at-the-entrance is really important, I think - I have a bit of a routine going, I think a routine is safest.

A bit of garden debris has been dealt with today, but the biggest win is that my fencer has been by to finalise the job - he can't give me a start date, because of the difficulty of getting the raw materials. He also said that a lot of the stuff that *is* for sale, is 2 years old, been sitting around in yards, and a bit wonky.

I've just had an idea for straps for masks - there's a t shirt I was throwing out, it now has holes in, and I cut off the hem around the bottom, and the two spaghetti straps at the shoulders. Lots of lovely strong hemming on these pieces, and they'll tie easily, though I'll have to experiment with placing.
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:37 pm
I do feel for parents of children of school age in this situation. The sanitising-at-the-entrance is really important, I think - I have a bit of a routine going, I think a routine is safest.

I've just had an idea for straps for masks - there's a t shirt I was throwing out, it now has holes in, and I cut off the hem around the bottom, and the two spaghetti straps at the shoulders. Lots of lovely strong hemming on these pieces, and they'll tie easily, though I'll have to experiment with placing.
[/quote]

We had a clean area, but I wanted even clearer as the people they will mix with is much larger. Form experience we all get a cold in September once they are back at school. My youngest is very conscious and changes her clothes and showers when she's seen someone from our limited bubble. Fortunately she's getting better with helping do the laundary.

Masks: that's a good idea. I've been using old t-shirts and leggings to make rope baskets. I might try this, although I have a good stash of elastic from previous projects. I am thinking about getting a supply of spare thread, as I seem to be going through it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The masks I use (Herself prefers ear loops) have an open ended sleeve sewn up the two sides with a single long cord threaded through...... I'll see if I can find a link

If you cut T-shirt into strips and then pull it it curls itself into cord.

ETA https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh I like that single cord thing - I just watched the first 30 seconds, but that was great, I'll go back to that, thanks Forge Corvus.